Question Denon X3500H lossless audio passthrough & eARC

Flyentologist

Novice Member
Reaction score
TV: Sony Bravia A9G
AVR: Denon X3500H
Speakers: 7.1 Klipsch

I am streaming media from my Plex server over my home network to the TV's Plex app. I have an HDMI cable set up from the TV's eARC HDMI port to the receiver's ARC port. Both the TV and receiver are up to date on firmware, and the receiver supports eARC on all of its HDMI In/Out ports.

The issue I'm having is that when streaming media with a 7.1 TrueHD audio track, the receiver's front display says DD+. DTS-HD MA tracks also display "Mtrx+Neu:X", which I don't want upmixing, I just want the native audio passthrough. I have the AVR sound mode set to "Auto", which sets the mode to whatever matches the incoming audio stream, so I'm also not sure why it's trying to use the Neural DTS:X setting for DTS-HD MA.

Here's pictures of my device settings (not pictured is the TV Plex app settings, which is set to HDMI audio passthrough). I hope somebody is familiar enough with these devices to help me understand what's not quite working right. My assumption at this point is that the HDMI cable itself is not 2.1 compliant and doesn't support eARC, but wanted to make sure the anatomy of my setup is correct.

TV1.jpg
TV2.jpg

AVR1.jpg
AVR2.jpg

Use the audio button the remote, 'Sound Mode' green button. Scroll through the audio options and select Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA. That will give you the sound mode without any additional upmixing applied. DD +Surround is there so that 5.1 is upmixed to 7.1, same with Neutral when applied to DTS 5.1. If you are getting a true 7.1 signal from TrueHD then Surround is having any effect. I have Surround and Neural X applied to all sources including 2.0 stereo. Does a very good job.

TV: Sony Bravia A9G
AVR: Denon X3500H
Speakers: 7.1 Klipsch

I am streaming media from my Plex server over my home network to the TV's Plex app. I have an HDMI cable set up from the TV's eARC HDMI port to the receiver's ARC port. Both the TV and receiver are up to date on firmware, and the receiver supports eARC on all of its HDMI In/Out ports.

The issue I'm having is that when streaming media with a 7.1 TrueHD audio track, the receiver's front display says DD+. DTS-HD MA tracks also display "Mtrx+Neu:X", which I don't want upmixing, I just want the native audio passthrough. I have the AVR sound mode set to "Auto", which sets the mode to whatever matches the incoming audio stream, so I'm also not sure why it's trying to use the Neural DTS:X setting for DTS-HD MA.

Here's pictures of my device settings (not pictured is the TV Plex app settings, which is set to HDMI audio passthrough). I hope somebody is familiar enough with these devices to help me understand what's not quite working right. My assumption at this point is that the HDMI cable itself is not 2.1 compliant and doesn't support eARC, but wanted to make sure the anatomy of my setup is correct.

View attachment 1279833View attachment 1279834
View attachment 1279835View attachment 1279836
Try turning PassThrough off on the Sony and see what you get then , and also if you have Sky Q going into the Denon be aware that that can cause issues when using Pass through as ive found on my Denon 3600 and Sony AF9 (never mind the other issues present with SKY Q -Denon !!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom