Denon X4400H owners thread

I have the same sort of problem. I have an mkv file which has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack and 2 channel stereo track and my 4400 just won’t play the Atmos soundtrack... really frustrating..

Yes definitely bitstream as it comes from my 4K player. I have some mp4s from Dolby that showcase atmks and they play fine.

when I play the file it’s just silence. So I have to switch audio tracks to the 2 channel.

Possibly but, if I play it on my PC the Atmos track plays with sound...
The plot, as they say, thickens,,,

I'm back! Ta-Dah! Guess what? It DIDN'T work after all, swapping the HDMI cable worked the first couple of test discs, then the next night, we settle down to watch Iron Man 2 4K, "Multi Channel In 7.1" AAAGGhhhhhh!!!! Now, i'm wondering if it's the player itself, it's a Samsung ubd m9500.....it was working absolutely fine for a long time. Then, a few weeks ago, it started skipping, then, it kind of had a meltdown, red light flashing constantly, wouldn't let you enter any commands, you turn it off and it turns itself back on, but is still inoperable and STILL has the constantly flashing light. Did a reset and it seems to be fine....but, the other night i noticed that when i was watching a film, and paused, then unpaused, the info/detail stuff that comes on at the top of the screen said "PCM" briefly, then went to bitstream.....surely it shouldn't be wandering between formats like that?

Also, The Xbox stays steady on Atmos all the time, never skips a beat, that's what makes me think the player might be at fault here....

Anyhoo, it's seriously peeing me off, so i ordered a Panasonic DP-UB820EB, A) because it seems to be a top notch player and B) I just had this feeling that the Sammy is on it's last legs....

Sorry for all the rambling, but i had to get it off me chest. :) I'm still open to any advice....

Thanks for reading,

Rich

I have a weird issue on my X6400H am hoping you might help with?

When adjusting volume the volume indicator is shown onscreen on top of my input correctly for my 4K blu ray player input. Also if I press Info I correctly see the speakers in use and this is “on top of the current movie image”.

however On my nVidia Shield Pro 2019 input if I increase volume nothing shows on screen. If I press info the screen goes black, a second or two passes, and the info on speakers appears on a black screen. So the overlay on the image doesn’t appear. Any ideas why not?

Interestingly when I play my mkv file I get a quick flash on the screen about something not supporting the Truhd code. Must be up there for half a second.
Not sure what’s going on really!

Each HDMI input on you AVR has independent settings, so I believe you have Video Conversion set to ‘on‘ for the Blu Ray player HDMI input, but ‘off’ for the Shield HDMI input. The overlay display will not work when this option is switched to off:
Switch to the AVR HDMI input that relates to your Shield and enter setup mode on the AVR and follow the following:

Video / Output settings / Video conversation on/off (turn it on)
I also prefer to turn off I/p scaler too and let my tv / PJ do any scaling.
Thanks so much. This fixed it!

Oh my......i seriously love this new Panasonic DP-UB820EB .......and, it seems to have cured that sound problem.....

To be honest, i've really lost faith in Samsung...i had an older 63 inch TV they did, which developed a weird jittery purple haze, that got replaced on insurance by a 65 inch 4k curved, which, didn't have any problems, i currently have an NU7100 75 inch which has an annoying light bloom thing in the upper right of the screen. It's not totally in your face, but, i notice it all the time. Then the 4k BD player starts acting up....ugh......anyway, i now have a Panasonic 4k player, and i've order an LG 75SM8610PLA which seems to be a really nice TV, can't wait to get it. :)

Rich

When playing 4k Atmos films on Disney+ it doesn't show Atmos on the display panel on the receiver it is displaying DD+ any ideas ???.
I'm using a Denon avrx4400h

I think its because Disney Plus and most of the other platforms have reduced their streaming quality due to the increase demand on IPs. It should hopefully come back once things have settled post COVID and streaming providers turn their services back up to 100%.

When playing 4k Atmos films on Disney+ it doesn't show Atmos on the display panel on the receiver it is displaying DD+ any ideas ???.
I'm using a Denon avrx4400h

Hi I have just checked and it is in 4khd, Dolby vision, Dolby Atmos.

Disney are still imposing bandwidth capping in association with their service so you'd still not be getting features such as Atmos while accessing content that would otherwise include Atmos via Disney+. Don't go by what the app indicates in the contents header and descriptions. This will still say that Atmos is available despite the restrictions Disney are imposing.

If only getting DD+ (or multichannel PCM iif using an Apple TV) then this is to be expected while the bandwidth capping is in effect. DD+ is what Disney would ordinarily be using and is what they'd ordinarilly package Atmos metadata with if present. The fact of the matter is, there's currently no such metadata available via Disney+ and will not be until Disney lift their bandwidth cap.

The fact you are not getting Atmos via Disney+ at this point in time is not a fault or a flaw with either the hardware, the app or the service. The issue is by design and imposed by Disney themselves.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me has the x4400h had a firmware update to support hdcp2.3?

my PS4 shows as hdcp2.3 in audio/video setting. I’m using Lg C9 oled

Can someone tell me has the x4400h had a firmware update to support hdcp2.3?

my PS4 shows as hdcp2.3 in audio/video setting. I’m using Lg C9 oled
It's a hardware issue and therefore the 4400 will not be getting a firmware upgrade. 2.3 will be on new units released in the future.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom