Denon x6500 and play mkv files from nas?

malsat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Is anyone playing mkv movies from nas drive through amp?
Am I better off using firestick as media player or any better ways?
At the moment I stream to TV then sound through amp

Cheers
Mal

I have no idea what you're talking about. All this new fangled 21st century stuff goes over my aging head. Here's a page from the manual.

Playing back a file saved on a PC or NAS

This unit is compatible with MP3 ID3-Tag (Ver. 2) standard.
This unit can show the artwork that was embedded by using MP3 ID3-Tag Ver. 2.3 or 2.4.
This unit is compatible with WMA META tags.
If the image size (pixels) of an album artwork exceeds 500 × 500 (WMA/MP3/WAV/FLAC/Apple Lossless/DSD) or 349 × 349 (MPEG-4 AAC), then music may not be played back properly.
A server or server software compatible with distribution in the corresponding formats is required to play music files via a network.
For playing mentioned audio formats via a network a server software, for example Twonky Media Server or jRiver Media Server, needs to be installed on your computer or NAS for full support. There are other server software available too. Please check supported formats.

Specifications of supported files
Sampling frequencyChannelBit rateExtension
WMA∗1
32/44.1/48 kHz​
2-channel​
48 – 192 kbps​
.wma​
MP3
32/44.1/48 kHz​
2-channel​
32 – 320 kbps​
.mp3​
WAV
32/44.1/48/88.2/
96/176.4/192 kHz​
2-channel​
–​
.wav​
MPEG-4 AAC∗1
32/44.1/48 kHz​
2-channel​
48 - 320 kbps​
.aac/.m4a​
FLAC
44.1/48/88.2/
96/176.4/192 kHz​
2-channel​
–​
.flac​
Apple Lossless∗2
44.1/48/88.2/
96/176.4/192 kHz​
2-channel​
–​
.m4a​
DSD
2.8/5.6 MHz​
2-channel​
–​
.dsf/.dff​

Only files that are not protected by copyright can be played on this unit.
Content downloaded from pay sites on the Internet are copyright protected. Also, files encoded in WMA format when ripped from a CD, etc. on a computer may be copyright protected, depending on the computer’s settings.
The Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) decoder is distributed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0).

INTEGRATED NETWORK AV RECEIVER
Copyright © 2018 D&M Hol

Hi
yes i have the music side ok, but want to stream movies through it rather than sending to tv then the amp.

Not from what I can see in the manual. All that is mentioned is what I've posted. The 6500 would have to have the ability to pass through the video file you need. You can download the manual and have a look yourself as I really have not much of a clue.

AFAIK no receiver offers video streaming natively. Certainly your Denon is audio streaming only.

The Denon xv6500 can not play mkv files from a NAS natively.

You could use a FireTV Stick + VLC. It's also possible that your BD player provides all necessary functionality (e.g. mine does).

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You need a media player that can view/index the video files on your NAS and output them via HDMI to the Denon.

A Vero 4k or a Nvidia shield running Kodi (or a variant like OSMC) or Plex is probably the easiest/most common option, or you could take your chances with on one the many Android boxes,

Note: the quality/support/stability varies dramatically with the cheap Android boxes. You may be lucky, but I'd stick with a Vero or Shield if you want to avoid headaches.

Hapo
You need a media player that can view/index the video files on your NAS and output them via HDMI to the Denon.

A Vero 4k or a Nvidia shield running Kodi (or a variant like OSMC) or Plex is probably the easiest/most common option, or you could take your chances with on one the many Android boxes,

Note: the quality/support/stability varies dramatically with the cheap Android boxes. You may be lucky, but I'd stick with a Vero or Shield if you want to avoid headaches.

Happy with my alfwawise s912, £50 well spent. Octo core. Core elac.

Would not spend the £200 or so the shield is.

Hapo

Happy with my alfwawise s912, £50 well spent. Octo core. Core elac.

Would not spend the £200 or so the shield is.
That sounds interesting, do you have a link?

The Vero 4K+ is £107 and the Shield TV is £150. They both work for up to 4K HDR video and full HD audio passthrough including atmos, with automatic resolution and refresh rate switching and auto HDR on and off. The Shield is a bit snappier with the menus, and you get full android so have the option of other apps. The Vero 4K+ runs Kodi (OSMC) as the operating system.

No AV receiver has the ability to play video files using its own integral media player. The receiver's media player can only play stereo audio files and current AV receiver's don't come equipped with video players or video codecs.

Sony did use to make a flagship model that did have the ability to play video files, but Sony subsequently dropped this and no manufacturer now makes an AV receiver with inbuilt video playback capabilities.

If wishing to play video files then you'd need an external media olayer able to play the files and associated containers in question.

I'd suggest you post a request for advice within this forum:

if wanting advice and or recommendations as to which or what media player you should be considering. You'd need to give more in depth detail as to the video and or audio formats you are wanting to play as opposed to just stating the type of container (MKV) you are using.

Last edited:

It's a older box. Don't play 4k or her or Netflix, but fine for 1080p. Not sure if it does auto switching, can't tell anyway with osd. Installed

Superceleron full android is with coreelac on mifrosd card. Got it for £50 on special offer. Bundled it remote is rubbish with awful signal strength, but I use dedicated remote with far more power lr emitter

It's a older box. Don't play 4k or her or Netflix, but fine for 1080p. Not sure if it does auto switching, can't tell anyway with osd. Installed
Oh yes, I tried one of those, it was terrible! For my needs anyway. For standard HD if you are not bothered about 4K / HDR / refresh rate switching it might be okay.

Believe coreelac has proper refresh rate output. 4k is too big in file size so not bothered.

Haven't tried hdr, any sample videos? If could try 4k hdr and Atmos mkv

Believe coreelac has proper refresh rate output. 4k is too big in file size so not bothered.

Haven't tried hdr, any sample videos? If could try 4k hdr and Atmos mkv
It's okay, I bought one of those boxes and tried it. It wouldn't even play 4K non HDR files, the seller accepted the return as it was advertised as being 4K compatible.

The Vero 4K+ and the Shield both work okay with the same files.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom