Denon X8500H. Setting listening modes question.

Captain Ron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a way in this amp to set a default listening mode based on the source signal type as opposed to device? Ideally I'd like all stereo signals to use Auro 2D-Surround and have all other multi-channel signals use Pure Direct. Currently I have to switch between the listening modes manually if I am say playing CDs on my attached Oppo 203 and then go on to watch a UHD disc on the same player.

It's only three presses of the Direct button until 'Auto' shows up. You have to manually do so because you are using the same input. If you just wanted a stereo signal from the Oppo then you can set up a 2 Channel option. The input would then revert automatically to the multi channel audio from the Oppo. Other than that it's a manual operation.

Once I realised that the amp doesn't have an option to set a particular listening mode by default other than it remembering the last mode on any given input device then the solution was obvious. I simply modified my Oppo startup macro on my remote to select Pure Direct. Then I created a separate macro to do the same but select my preferred 2 channel listening mode which is actually Movie All Channel Stereo as opposed to Auro 2D-Surround. Works a treat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom