Desperate Dad Needs Help - Two Xboxes Nightmare

Attirex

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, Everyone:

I consider myself to be fairly tech savvy (I work in software), but as usual, leave it to MS to make me want to poke my eye out with a pen.

Anyway, I bought my kids a second XBox for Xmas, so:

1. We now have two XBoxes on the same WiFi network, a One S in the living room, and the new One X in the family room.

2. Both are set as home XBoxes.

3. I have two XBox Live accounts configured in an XBox Live Family group, both as adults. My son uses one (which is actually mine), my daughter the other.

4. I have an Ultimate subscription.

For whatever reason, this setup is causing a nightmare of authentication conflicts when both kids are logged in and playing on both XBoxes, and my daughter tries to launch Game Pass games. My Ultimate subscription is apparently linked only to my/my son's account, and isn't shared with my daughter's account, even though her account is part of the same family group.

What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix? Can Ultimate not be shared this way? Do I seriously have to buy an Ultimate sub for each XBox?

The crux of the problem is that if my daughter tries to play a Game Pass game like Rocket League while signed onto the One S with her account, it prompts for Gamer Pass sub. If she does the same and plays Rocket League on the One X with her account, it does not ask for a subscription. Something in her account is tied to the One X.

For the sanity of my marriage and relationship with kids, any help appreciated. :)

Thanks so much!
AF

Last edited:
OK, so after testing a bit, I've determined that if you have two XBoxes, and have two children who want to rotate freely between the two XBoxes while also having the ability to access Game Pass on either console.....you can't.

Apparently, the "sharing" model MS has created assumes that each person in a home has their own, specific, XBox, period, and that doesn't change.

So, thanks MS! Selling the One S.

Sigh.

You can do that with ultimate.

With the account that owns Ultimate, set only one of the Xbox's as a home console (I'd set it as the S console in the kids room and then lock down that profile logging in or protect against purchases on it), removing the other consoles home console (X Lounge) setting. Now any accounts can play anything on that console (S in bedroom) without the ultimate account owner being logged on.

For the console not set as home (X Lounge), simply set it to auto logon the ultimate account owners' profile, other accounts can simply log on in addition and will have full access. (leaving the ultimate account active in the background)

**Of course, up to you which one you have as the home console**

You can do that with ultimate.

With the account that owns Ultimate, set only one of the Xbox's as a home console (I'd set it as the S console in the kids room and then lock down that profile logging in or protect against purchases on it), removing the other consoles home console (X Lounge) setting. Now any accounts can play anything on that console (S in bedroom) without the ultimate account owner being logged on.

For the console not set as home (X Lounge), simply set it to auto logon the ultimate account owners' profile, other accounts can simply log on in addition and will have full access. (leaving the ultimate account active in the background)

**Of course, up to you which one you have as the home console**

Thanks so much, that makes sense. Another question, though--I should remove account auto-log-in for the XBox set as Home, and just let my kids log into their respective accounts on that XBox as needed, correct? I think the problem might have been that I had both XBoxes (Home and non-Home) set to auto-log-in my (Ultimate) account.

The other issue I've found is that when my daughter switches to her profile on the non-Home XBox, the system automatically logs out the Ultimate account on the Home XBox, so my son has to log back in. Not a huge deal, but still annoying. Oh well.

Thanks....

Last edited:
You can’t have the same profile log in on two different consoles at the same time so definitely disable that on one of them.

If set up correctly then Ultimate will be usable on both consoles at the same time.

You can’t have the same profile log in on two different consoles at the same time so definitely disable that on one of them.

If set up correctly then Ultimate will be usable on both consoles at the same time.

OK, setting one of the XBoxes as Home and disabling auto-login seems to have done the trick. Thanks so much! You guys have saved my life/sanity/marriage/relationship with kids.

Well, the problem came back. Everything set up per above suggestions. My son was playing on the XBox set to Home, and soon as he launched Rocket League, my daughter couldn't play it on the other, non-Home XBox. Said she needed Game Pass. Sigh. Same for Forza (which my son wasn't playing).

I even tried configuring her account as a child account, and that didn't work either.

For whatever reason, my Ultimate subscription still isn't propagating to her account, even though her account is part of our Family Group.

I'm a loss at what to do. Sigh.

Your son was using your account which is the one that owns the ultimate pass on the home console right?

He needs his own account or he must always play on the one that isn't set as the home console.

Home console has everything shared - don't log onto that with the ultimate account.

Non home console will need to auto login the ultimate account, in order to share everything while it is logged in.

Remember, your XBL account can only be signed in on one console at a time.

Your son was using your account which is the one that owns the ultimate pass on the home console right?

He needs his own account or he must always play on the one that isn't set as the home console.

Home console has everything shared - don't log onto that with the ultimate account.

Non home console will need to auto login the ultimate account, in order to share everything while it is logged in.

Remember, your XBL account can only be signed in on one console at a time.

Oh. That I didn't realize, and sucks because if I create an account just for him, he loses all of his progress in Forza that is linked to my account. He'll be an Angry Little Man.

So options seem to be either he always plays on Home console, or I create an account just for him and he loses all of his saved game data currently linked to my account. Gah.

Oh. That I didn't realize, and sucks because if I create an account just for him, he loses all of his progress in Forza that is linked to my account. He'll be an Angry Little Man.

So options seem to be either he always plays on Home console, or I create an account just for him and he loses all of his saved game data currently linked to my account. Gah.

Get him to play on the non home console and your problem will be sorted.

Get him to play on the non home console and your problem will be sorted.

It would be, but because the XBox One S is connected to a small, 13 year old TV and the One X is part of our new home theater set up with a 65" OLED, it's more equitable if my kids can rotate between the two XBoxes, rather than one of them get stuck with the older setup. I know it sounds ridiculous (First World problem, etc) but.....parenting.

For now, it seems as if the kids don't attempt to play the same Game Pass games simultaneously, things work OK.

This is why MS need a 'home' setting where say up to 4 consoles on same local LAN can share content between them with members in the family set up.

Just keep consoles accounts separate, do you need to use the family thing? Or are they using it for sharing?
Seems like it's just causing unnecessary problems.
Turn family off and just get them gold subs and game passes or whatever they want on each console and will have no issues.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom