Did I Make A Mistake Upgrading To Denon 3600H AV Receiver ?

aimia1991

Novice Member
Reaction score
I faced a rather unfortunate problem after upgrading my AV receiver, so far i'm not sure how to fix it or what caused it but i suspect the HDCP in my new AV receiver is the culprit.

I am connecting my PC to the AV receiver and from the AV receiver to the tv, all connections are through HDMI 2.0 cables

GPU: Titan X
Windows 10
TV: LG 65UB950t

I upgraded from Yamaha RX-V677 (which ran everything perfectly) to Denon 3600H, that's when i noticed the issue with the picture quality from the PC. The most noticeable thing was the distorted font and the picture was not smooth although the settings were the same in the PC and the TV. When i tried running my PS4 it said the device(TV) doesn't support HDCP 2.2 which was never the case when i was passing the signal to through the old receiver (Yamaha RX-V677).

I need to know what is causing the problem and how to fix it. Do i have to buy a new to TV just to match the HDCP specs of the new AV receiver when i just spent $1100 on it ?

Ensure that you have the video settings on passthrough on the AVR.

Ensure that you have the video settings on passthrough on the AVR.
So i tried that but it didn't help. However I found out what was the issue. In the "Video/Output Settings" Menu, "Video Conversion" is on by default so i turned if off and vualá

So I am having an issue with my 3600 passing a 4K HDR signal from my Apple TV to my Vizio px75. I have connected the Apple TV with both HDMI cables being used directly to the TV and the 4K HDR signal gets recognized. So I know something is up with the AVR. The best I can do with the Apple TV setting right now is 4K SD content. Anyone have any ideas what’s going on? I tried the suggestion above and no change.

Are you using premium certified 4K HDMI cables both from the Apple TV to the AVR and from the AVR to the TV? If not, give them a try, you don't have to spend a fortune:

I tested the cables already by bypassing the AVR and plugging the Apple TV straight into the tv. With both cables tested the Dolby vision signal was recognized. It has to be some sort of setting on the avr.

I tested the cables already by bypassing the AVR and plugging the Apple TV straight into the tv. With both cables tested the Dolby vision signal was recognized. It has to be some sort of setting on the avr.
I'm afraid it is not that simple. The AVR may be more 'fussy' about the cables than the TV.

The allowable HDMI tolerances for the interface and hardware are quite wide, meaning that not all devices are equal. Some will perform better than others in conjunction with lesser cables. You cannot assure the reliability or quality of a cable simply by apraising it in conjunction with a single combination of hardware. THe same cable may start to exhibit issues when used with different combinations of hardware. A good cable will have no issues irrespective of the hardware you are using it with while poorer and less well made cables can appear to work in some instances, but not others. Cables are supposed to work with any device as long as that device's implimentation of HDMI is in accordance with the standards for HDMI. Not all cables can actually to do this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom