Did I make the right decision (Sony vs Denon)

FunkMaster007

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So this past weekend I went out and upgraded my 32" Samsung to a 46" 3D (UE46D7000) and no complaints thus far (but still exploring the vast array of options it has to offer).

None the less, when I got home and hooked it all up, I realized that my Denon AVR 2308 AMP does not support 3D so went on a mission and landed at Richer Sounds and was sold a Sony STR-DH520 and it was a quick whim purchase which I am in a way regretting and thus wanted to ask you guys for your opinions.

On doing some research, I've found the following two as possible alternatives:

Sony STR-DH820 - £230
Denon AVR-1912 - £280

I've read all the various reviews on both and both seem to have a few more features such as *iPod connectivity, Ethernet port* amongst a few others.

Since I've unboxed my STR-DH520, Richer Sounds are going to charge a 15% handling fee, but now my questions are:

... which of the above two would you go for?
... any alternatives for a similar price range?

I want a 7.x channel, as I currently have 2x KEF iQ3 speakers + a 5.1 Harman Kardon HTKS9 set.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to help me out!

Cheers
Rob

Of course you could have kept your very good Denon 2308 receiver, and bought a new blu ray player that has twin HDMI outputs (one to tv for 3d picture, other to amp for sound), or one with one hdmi output and 7.1 multi channel outputs.....

I don't think either Sony or Denon amp will better your current one for sound quality.....

Last edited:
Did you buy the Sony from an RS Branch,over the counter? if so,Why are they going to charge a "Handling Fee"if you take it back?

K.

Did you buy the Sony from an RS Branch,over the counter? if so,Why are they going to charge a "Handling Fee"if you take it back?

K.

RS have a policy regarding open box returns. Its not faulty so they charge 15% of the cost.

Of course you could have kept your very good Denon 2308 receiver, and bought a new blu ray player that has twin HDMI outputs (one to tv for 3d picture, other to amp for sound), or one with one hdmi output and 7.1 multi channel outputs.....

I don't think either Sony or Denon amp will better your current one for sound quality.....

Thing is, I already have a PS3 that plays blu-rays + 3D movies (as I tested it with Priest 3D) ... so going for another Blue-Ray player was not something I considered.

The 1912 is one level below your current Denon receiver, the 820 is 2 levels below and the 520 is 3 levels below (so no wonder you where dissappointed). Hence none of them are really going to give you the sound quality you are used too. The 2312 would be the current model for the receiver you have. As above a twin HDMI output player would get around the issue or if you are using a PS3 as a 3D player then you should be able to get the 3D signal to passthrough your current receiver since both are 1.3 HDMI.

I wasn't aware PS3's played 3d blu ray disc's.....

A new blu ray player will be the cheaper option and will improve on what you get via the PS3....

if you are using a PS3 as a 3D player then you should be able to get the 3D signal to passthrough your current receiver since both are 1.3 HDMI.

I don't think it can.:smashin:

Sorry PSM1....I was referring to the passthrough part of your sentence. Yes the PS3 can play 3d discs, but not sure his receiver will passthrough the 3d picture to tv.

There is a thread on here about it. Not sure how you do it but if the receiver is 1.3HDMI then you should be able to force the signal through the receiver since it can travel through 1.3HDMI.

Well, we learn something new everyday........I've not come across that thread yet.

The 1912 is one level below your current Denon receiver, the 820 is 2 levels below and the 520 is 3 levels below (so no wonder you where dissappointed). Hence none of them are really going to give you the sound quality you are used too. The 2312 would be the current model for the receiver you have. As above a twin HDMI output player would get around the issue or if you are using a PS3 as a 3D player then you should be able to get the 3D signal to passthrough your current receiver since both are 1.3 HDMI.

Hello PSM1 & Everyone Else.

Well thank you for your information about the levels of the Sony vs my original Denon.

To be quite frank, I am not a Hardcore Sound/Vision Junkie, just want a setup that works and delivers decent sound and video.

I appreciate that the 1912 is one step down from my current 2308, however it does have the 3D capabilities and USB/Ipod + Ethernet that my 2308 doesn't have.

Since I've already forked out the £200 for the Sony DH520, I am thinking that forking out the handling fee (£25 or so to return it) + another £80 for the AVR-1912 would suit me fine, as pushing up to a Denon AVR2112 would need me to shell out another £280 which is way beyond my budget.

Two lessons I've learned from this experience.

1.) Read all the reviews you can and understand what the differences are!
2.) Trust your gut, when you go and get something and they down-sell you to something that you haven't even read about ... it's usually not a good thing as you'll be disappointed, just like I am right now :mad:

Hey All,

Just a update ... so landed up getting the Sony STR-DH520 replaced with a Denon AVR-1912 and have just plugged it in and done the initial setup and already, I can hear a difference in the sound quality over the Sony STR-DH520!

I appreciate that it won't be as good as the Denon AVR-2308 which was my original receiver, but it has all the other stuff I wanted!

Thanks to all who participated in this discussion! :thumbsup:

Glad you got it all sorted, enjoy.

Hey All,

Just a update ... so landed up getting the Sony STR-DH520 replaced with a Denon AVR-1912 and have just plugged it in and done the initial setup and already, I can hear a difference in the sound quality over the Sony STR-DH520!

I appreciate that it won't be as good as the Denon AVR-2308 which was my original receiver, but it has all the other stuff I wanted!

Thanks to all who participated in this discussion! :thumbsup:

I am perhaps well placed to talk on this since I own a AVR1912 and DH820.

Simply the 1912 all the way :D

So the boy dun good imho.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom