Did i miss the HDMI 2.1 AV Amps at CES?

scoob101

Established Member
Reaction score
This year is the year I`ll be replacing my Panny Plasma. Looks like LG will get my money as they have announced HDMi 2.1 on their 2019 sets.

Did anyone spot any amps announced which will pair nicely to pass through VRR and ALLM from an xbox one x??

There was basically no AVR announcement at this CES except a few entry-level Pioneer models.
HDMI 2.1 will most likely first be found on high-end AVRs. Those will probably be announced later this year.

There's probably not going to be any for at least another year? Most of the elements people are wanting to benefit from that are associated with HDMI vwrsion 2.1 can be implemented using an update to HDMI version 2.0b. You only really need HDMI version 2.1 in association with the higher frame rate and 8K capabilities of HDMI version 2.1. There are no 8K players or even content you'd play with one. There's also no video service or source that utilises or need the higher frame rate capabilities. Why would the manufacturers impliment something such as HDMI 2.1 and pay more to do so if no one has anything that needs it?

Last edited:
Also eARC threatens to be quite disruptive for the AVR manufacturers as it removes the need for any video handling at all in the most common AVR setups.

There's probably not going to be any for at least another year? Most of the elements people are wanting to benefit from that are associated with HDMI vwrsion 2.1 can be implemented using an update to HDMI version 2.0b. You only really need HDMI version 2.1 in association with the higher frame rate and 8K capabilities of HDMI version 2.1. There are no 8K players or even content you'd play with one. There's also no video service or source that utilises or need the higher frame rate capabilities. Why would the manufacturers impliment something such as HDMI 2.1 and pay more to do so if no one has anything that needs it?

Gamers want VRR and ALLM - Xbox one Supports it now, and Sony wont be far behind. Need an AVR which can support.
In addition, anyone who is in the market for a new TV will be considering eARC support.

Its time to stop kicking the can down the road and release the AVRs.

Last edited:
I dont think that the AVR manufacturers see the console fraternity as their key market audience. Especially as 99% of them live their lives with headphones on. Plug your console into the TV and use ARC / EARC for your audio.
As far as the future of gaming PS4 / XBox are now pretty much irrelevant. Next gen consoles will have HDMI 2.1, this will be the gaming market (if any) that AVR manufacturers will be looking at.

Gamers want VRR and ALLM - Xbox one Supports it now, and Sony wont be far behind. Need an AVR which can support.
In addition, anyone who is in the market for a new TV will be considering eARC support.

Its time to stop kicking the can down the road and release the AVRs.

Most of which you do not actually need HDMI version 2.1 for. These teatures can be introduced via firmware update to the HDMI version 2 chipset. There are plenty of HDMI 2.0b equipped receivers that already include eARC. Also note that if your display supports the HDMI version 2.1 features that your AVR doesn't and if both support eARC then all you need do is connect the source device directly to the display and utilise eARC to convey the audio. If the display doesn;t support these features then what possible use would there be for an AVR that can convey them to a display?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom