Difference between ambilight modes?

Do you guys have any tips for me with my Ambilight problem? Maybe my TV is just not functioning correctly?
Hi,
It's how Ambilight works. I have 7304, and 7101 - on both when is black picture, then LEDs dimms but not off completly. I have tried to display 100% black picture and the same situation. In the past I have contact with Philips and they confirm that this behaviour is correct.

Philips has a Tutorial Video (in German) where they say that the Ambilight shuts off completely when black content is displayed... So I assume this was just a lie to make people buy their stuff... Very sad. Last Phillips product for me!

Well it says you have to set it to game in order to not light up, once the screen is black that the amilight stays off. That works most of the times

Doesn't work for me. In game mode it's the same as in natural, so with black content a white halo remains and the LEDs don't shut off completely as the video suggests.

Have to double check. Maybe it relates also to the shut off settings, like if the light turns off instead or slowly...

Don't think so. He explaines the different Ambilight modes. And he explicitly talks about game mode and that the LEDs go out completely with black content.

I like 'Natural', precisely because it switches off in the darker areas. If the idea is to make your screen feel slightly larger, then it's really the best option.

Worth also flagging up another option that's a little bit buried but useful for some people - setting the wall colour. My TV is mounted on a dark blue wall and so ensuring the Amblight knows that means it adjusts the colours to account for the different colour surface. It's by no means perfect and when a white light is called for, there's obviously nothing it can do, but every little helps.

Hi folks. I had an update this week on my 55oled805. Now the ambilight switches off completely when adjacent to dark areas of the screen on all settings ( standard,natural,vivid etc). It kind of annoying as this is not how I like the ambilight, I dont want it turning off in areas completely it's like a disco. I usually have ambilight set to relax or comfort on my other sets but there is no such setting on the oled. Has anyone else noticed this?

Hi folks. I had an update this week on my 55oled805. Now the ambilight switches off completely when adjacent to dark areas of the screen on all settings ( standard,natural,vivid etc). It kind of annoying as this is not how I like the ambilight, I dont want it turning off in areas completely it's like a disco. I usually have ambilight set to relax or comfort on my other sets but there is no such setting on the oled. Has anyone else noticed this?

So you now have the Ambilight working the way I desperately want it to...
Which model do you have? Really hoping on getting that update and getting the Ambilight to react as promised by Philips.

So you now have the Ambilight working the way I desperately want it to...
Which model do you have? Really hoping on getting that update and getting the Ambilight to react as promised by Philips.
It's the 55 oled 805. In my experience the natural or vivid have always been like this, when the screen turns black the ambilight turns off, but standard or relaxed have left a bias white showing when on black screen.

It's the 55 oled 805.

Ah... I even quoted you on that 😅
Sorry.
Hope you get your Ambilight problem fixed.

All modes except "game" and "natural" are generally very bright and have a strong white glow even when the screen is dark. My 50pus7303 also does that with "game" and "natural", less bright but still noticable. It never dims them completely. Same goes for HUE lights btw.

Just recently I have noticed my LEDs do not completely turn off now on dark scenes on my 805. I think this has happened since the latest update.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom