Digital Stream DHR-8203/5U HD-PVR Master thread - [Part Twelve]

Gavtech

Administrator
Reaction score
Moderator Comment

Thread Announcement.

Please note that Part Eleven of this thread is now closed and all further posts should continue here in Part Twelve.

For reference,

Part One can be found here

Part Two can be found here.

Part Three can be found here.

Part Four can be found here

Part Five can be found here.

Part Six can be found here

Part Seven can be found here.

Part Eight
can be found here.

Part Nine can be found here.

Part Ten can be found here.

Part Eleven can be found here.

Thank you.

So another reshuffle is taking place on the 17th. I am going to be on holiday until the 29th. so will not be able to re-scan either the TV (which as I will not be at home this does not matter), nor will I be able to re-scan my DS, which does matter if the programmes I set to record are on LCNs being moved (BBC1 HD for instance).
With the last reshuffle (eg. Yesterday/Dave swap-over) this didn't seem to matter, but will this be the case on the 17th?
regards,
Steve.

So another reshuffle is taking place on the 17th. I am going to be on holiday until the 29th. so will not be able to re-scan either the TV (which as I will not be at home this does not matter), nor will I be able to re-scan my DS, which does matter if the programmes I set to record are on LCNs being moved (BBC1 HD for instance).
With the last reshuffle (eg. Yesterday/Dave swap-over) this didn't seem to matter, but will this be the case on the 17th?
regards,
Steve.

Hi,

Same as last time - Leave it alone and you will just get your programs as always on their existing numbers.

http://www.a516digital.com/2012/10/confirmation-more-freeview-channel.html

Pete

Last edited:
After my report of yet another non-stop recording on my DS a day or so ago, I've found another issue -- anyone seen this? I have Grand Designs on C4HD series linked. My DS recorded the first two programmes correctly, but this week, because C4 are running Hotel GB there's no show. As I understand things, the DS (and other boxen) should track any break like this. Well, I can see next week's Grand Designs in the EPG but the DS doesn't list it in the schedule -- there's nothing there at all for next Wednesday 10 October. My flaky TVonics HD500 however has sorted this out without me having to do anything. To get my DS to start recording Grand Designs I've had to start again from next week's episode, setting up a new series link.

What with hangs and now a lack of programme tracking I'm beginning to get a little unhappy with my DS. I hope that it doesn't crash over the weekend when I'll be away from home -- I really don't want to have to leave that for my wife to sort out.

@Peterv: That email address that you suggested I use to report my latest DS hang (attention SG) doesn't work. Any suggestions please?

Clem

After my report of yet another non-stop recording on my DS a day or so ago, I've found another issue -- anyone seen this? I have Grand Designs on C4HD series linked. My DS recorded the first two programmes correctly, but this week, because C4 are running Hotel GB there's no show. As I understand things, the DS (and other boxen) should track any break like this. Well, I can see next week's Grand Designs in the EPG but the DS doesn't list it in the schedule -- there's nothing there at all for next Wednesday 10 October. My flaky TVonics HD500 however has sorted this out without me having to do anything. To get my DS to start recording Grand Designs I've had to start again from next week's episode, setting up a new series link.

What with hangs and now a lack of programme tracking I'm beginning to get a little unhappy with my DS. I hope that it doesn't crash over the weekend when I'll be away from home -- I really don't want to have to leave that for my wife to sort out.

@Peterv: That email address that you suggested I use to report my latest DS hang (attention SG) doesn't work. Any suggestions please?

Clem

Hi

???

I didn't get a bounce-back on ukservice ? but they have been on holiday and I haven't had a reply either ! I'll PM you

Pete

Hi,

Same as last time - Leave it alone and you will just get your programs as always on their existing numbers.

a516digital.com: Confirmation: More Freeview channel changes on 17th October

Pete

Although there is supposedly a trial EPG Navigation page being launched at some point on the HD mux on LCN 100:

We are taking measures to improve navigation on the DTT platform and intend to trial an information page at LCN 100 which sets out the order and LCN range of the subsequent genres and can also provide platform information useful to viewers, on re-tune events for example. This will be available to viewers with HD boxes. We are setting up a Navigability Action Plan to explore measures we might take to support navigability on the platform, including in co-operation with manufacturers and the DTG. We are also continuing to investigate the potential to improve navigation to other genres. These navigation measures will be implemented as soon as possible although may follow slightly after the implementation of the listings changes.

http://www.dmol.co.uk/__data/assets..._LCN_Consultation_Statement_30Jul12_Final.pdf (pages 7/8)

Now will it be introduced on the 17th? With DMOL's track record, who knows.

Clem

Hi Clem

Ref. Series Link.

This situation sometimes happens when the broadcaster changes the
series link EIT code or (more often on ITV and C4?) starts with one
code for the ProgID of an item in a series and then changes to another
one for the same program - This can be spotted by attempting to add a
new Series Link on a program that should be in a Series but doesn't
have the Blue Icon - This will cause a pop-up saying Series already
set but Single can be added.

Other boxes have varying methods of detecting series/programs and
adding programs to Series Links. Crazy system where the Broadcasters
have different approaches and so do the box manufacturers.

When this has come up before it's been traced to the Broadcaster changing ProgID codes (Normally ITV but also others on occasion)

The only thing to do seems to be to delete the existing Series Link and then re-add it ! This should clear the erronious ProgID.

Pete

After my report of yet another non-stop recording on my DS a day or so ago, I've found another issue -- anyone seen this? I have Grand Designs on C4HD series linked. My DS recorded the first two programmes correctly, but this week, because C4 are running Hotel GB there's no show. As I understand things, the DS (and other boxen) should track any break like this. Well, I can see next week's Grand Designs in the EPG but the DS doesn't list it in the schedule -- there's nothing there at all for next Wednesday 10 October.
Clem

Mine's picked up Grand Designs for next Wednesday - noticed it last night.

I'm on Emley Moor, if that's any help.

Hmm -- I checked on Wednesday, not yesterday. I wonder if I was a day too soon in my grumbling?

Clem

Are recordings that Restart randomly a known bug?
It would appear I'm getting multiple .trp's and .new/.new etc
I've not changed any software/ fw to eliminate those it just started doing it after running fine for 18mths

Are recordings that Restart randomly a known bug?
It would appear I'm getting multiple .trp's and .new/.new etc
I've not changed any software/ fw to eliminate those it just started doing it after running fine for 18mths

Hi

The only time I saw anything similar (?) was when I accidentally got my HDD full - As it got close to full (hindsight) I was getting fairly frequent mini-reboots that would have caused recordings to be split and restart if they were in progress.

If your HDD isn't nearly full then ??????

Pete

No Pete 35% free. Never had a reboot ever
Been in use a long time it could do with a defrag if that's what's going on of sorts

No Pete 35% free. Never had a reboot ever
Been in use a long time it could do with a defrag if that's what's going on of sorts

Hi

HDD system is supposed to be self maintaining (?) but it might be worth running the Repair Function !

Warning : I have used this function just to test it and it can take some time and also with any HDD function there is always a risk of losing files :eek:

Always : Save any irreplaceables before doing any maintenance.

Pete

So, first of all, first post, and I did try searching for these symptoms - apologies if I didn't find something obvious...

The other night, my 8205 stopped responding to the remote - something which I've had happen a few times, so I didn't worry. It was recording, so I just left it till morning. I just went back to it, and it was still frozen, not responding to remote or front panel. I powered it off and back on, and it booted up fine.

On going into Media, I noticed the HDD was full - well, it was 90% full, but showing as 0% free - guess there's some 'slack' in the calculation... (or is that a significant difference?). So I began deleting a few bits and pieces, and eventually got back to about 9% free (or 14% - can't remember). I was still deleting and then it seemed to hang whilst deleting a particular file. Left it for a few minutes, no change. No response to remote or front panel again. Powered off, rebooted.

Now, Media is showing an empty disk (just HDD1, no files or folders), and the full/free display has gone too. And once on the Media page, I can't exit via the remote or front panel (i.e. it seems to crash now just displaying the page). Tuner is working fine, and I can use live TV providing I don't open the Media page. Also, the Disk Information menu option causes it to freeze. The System Information page shows:

Model DHR820xU
Hardware: 0001
Micom: 1.33
Kernel: 2.6.18-7.1 #2 SMP Wed Sep 14 04:52:20 KST 2011

So, to try and recover (and I would really like to get back all the contents - many films and some series I haven't watched yet). What's the best order to try things? Should I remove the HDD and try backing it up from a PC somehow? Is the 'repair' function then worth a shot, or is there a better way to try and get it back?

Thanks for any advice!

Dave.

So, first of all, first post, and I did try searching for these symptoms - apologies if I didn't find something obvious...

The other night, my 8205 stopped responding to the remote - something which I've had happen a few times, so I didn't worry. It was recording, so I just left it till morning. I just went back to it, and it was still frozen, not responding to remote or front panel. I powered it off and back on, and it booted up fine.

On going into Media, I noticed the HDD was full - well, it was 90% full, but showing as 0% free - guess there's some 'slack' in the calculation... (or is that a significant difference?). So I began deleting a few bits and pieces, and eventually got back to about 9% free (or 14% - can't remember). I was still deleting and then it seemed to hang whilst deleting a particular file. Left it for a few minutes, no change. No response to remote or front panel again. Powered off, rebooted.

Now, Media is showing an empty disk (just HDD1, no files or folders), and the full/free display has gone too. And once on the Media page, I can't exit via the remote or front panel (i.e. it seems to crash now just displaying the page). Tuner is working fine, and I can use live TV providing I don't open the Media page. Also, the Disk Information menu option causes it to freeze. The System Information page shows:

Model DHR820xU
Hardware: 0001
Micom: 1.33
Kernel: 2.6.18-7.1 #2 SMP Wed Sep 14 04:52:20 KST 2011

So, to try and recover (and I would really like to get back all the contents - many films and some series I haven't watched yet). What's the best order to try things? Should I remove the HDD and try backing it up from a PC somehow? Is the 'repair' function then worth a shot, or is there a better way to try and get it back?

Thanks for any advice!

Dave.

Hi

10% is missing in system and formatting so 90%/0% is correct for a Full HDD.

You would need a Linux based system to recover files on the XFS format HDD. I have no knowledge of what is possible or how to do it ! PartedMagic may provide some info on what has happened but I really have no idea about the intricacies of Linux.

The Repair function may help but it may lose all your programs or just some ??? A Format would of course wipe everything.

You could try asking what to do via the MIT London contact form. I'll see if I can find out anything more.

Pete

Well, I left the unit as it was, and just before going to bed, I tried the off switch on the front panel, expecting nothing. But surprisingly it turned off normally. So I powered it back on, and magically all recordings were back! I'm obviously really pleased, but have no explanation - perhaps some kind of fsck process was running which was preventing the rest of the machine accessing the hdd for a while.

But in any case, I can now archive some stuff normally rather than rip it apart and wrestle with connecting it to a Linux host...

Thanks for the quick response - hopefully the 'leave it alone for a while' might help someone else at some point. And I'll try to focus on the Free space more thanks the Used space in future!

Cheers,

David

Well, I left the unit as it was, and just before going to bed, I tried the off switch on the front panel, expecting nothing. But surprisingly it turned off normally. So I powered it back on, and magically all recordings were back! I'm obviously really pleased, but have no explanation - perhaps some kind of fsck process was running which was preventing the rest of the machine accessing the hdd for a while.

But in any case, I can now archive some stuff normally rather than rip it apart and wrestle with connecting it to a Linux host...

Thanks for the quick response - hopefully the 'leave it alone for a while' might help someone else at some point. And I'll try to focus on the Free space more thanks the Used space in future!

Cheers,

David

Phew - Good news !

:thumbsup:

Sounds like it was doing some maintenance work ???

Hope all OK from now on.
Filling the HDD (0%Free) does seem to be something best avoided !

"Leave it alone for a while" would seem to be a good motto for such occasions :smashin:

Cheers
Pete

Last edited:
"Leave it alone for a while" would seem to be a good motto for such occasions

I think that we should file that under "Advanced Technical Solutions" alongside "switch it off and back on again" ;)

Is version 4.14 the final release then? They used to release updates regularly, but I see they haven't released anything since February.

After hopeful first experiences of 4.14, I see the bug is still there that means if you skip back or forward in a recording, or use FF/Rew just a short amount, the volume gets locked and doesn't respond to the control on the remote. You have to fiddle with the skipping/rewinding to free the control again, sometimes many attempts before it will work. And the next time you skip, it might do it all over again.

It doesn't do this 100% of the time, but most of the time. I haven't noticed it do this when you FF/Rew long amounts.

I also remember the website 'The Register' did a top-10 of Freeview PVRs, and the Digital Stream was a glaring omission from its list. Someone working there then explained that they wanted to review it but Digital Stream refused to let them on the grounds that they had new models coming out soon. That was ages ago and I'm not aware of any new models out since? It seems a lost opportunity for extra sales and awareness.

Last edited:
Any word on using the DHR-205U to view media streamed over DLNA?
(I'm struggling to thing of any other use for the network socket)

Is version 4.14 the final release then? They used to release updates regularly, but I see they haven't released anything since February.

After hopeful first experiences of 4.14, I see the bug is still there that means if you skip back or forward in a recording, or use FF/Rew just a short amount, the volume gets locked and doesn't respond to the control on the remote. You have to fiddle with the skipping/rewinding to free the control again, sometimes many attempts before it will work. And the next time you skip, it might do it all over again.

It doesn't do this 100% of the time, but most of the time. I haven't noticed it do this when you FF/Rew long amounts.

I also remember the website 'The Register' did a top-10 of Freeview PVRs, and the Digital Stream was a glaring omission from its list. Someone working there then explained that they wanted to review it but Digital Stream refused to let them on the grounds that they had new models coming out soon. That was ages ago and I'm not aware of any new models out since? It seems a lost opportunity for extra sales and awareness.

Hi

No more updates that I have heard of.

Almost never used the Volume control so never seen that issue and can't remember it being mentioned. Quick check and couldn't get it to happen on mine but not an extensive experiment.

No idea what happened with the Register ???

Pete

Any word on using the DHR-205U to view media streamed over DLNA?
(I'm struggling to thing of any other use for the network socket)

Hi

No official DLNA/UPnP Player support expected.

The Ethernet port supports BBC iPlayer and the Vision Network channels. Also you can stream SD from the DHR using the Samba Mod and a DLNA Server like Serviio on a networked PC. Play SD directly via Samba using a PC with say VLC or Splash Lite.

Pete

Hi

No official DLNA/UPnP Player support expected.

The Ethernet port supports BBC iPlayer and the Vision Network channels. Also you can stream SD from the DHR using the Samba Mod and a DLNA Server like Serviio on a networked PC. Play SD directly via Samba using a PC with say VLC or Splash Lite.

Pete

Hi Pete

Is there any way to access media from another device on the DHR-8205?

Thanks

Hi Pete

Is there any way to access media from another device on the DHR-8205?

Thanks

No :(

Not as such - You can transfer files to the DHR HDD using Samba !
Limited file-type support as per USB.

Pete

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom