Digitise Blu Ray Collection HELP

Reaction score
I have an extensive Blu Ray collection and I am looking to digitise the entire collection without loosing any quality or the specials features I am looking to clone the disks as is and it would be great if I can utilise a Netflix/kaleidoscape type GUI at the end of it.

my systems details are as follows:

JVC DLA-X5900BE
Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242
Oppo-UDP205 multi region
Sky 4k
Apple TV 4K
Denom AVC-X8500H
Velodyne DD18+
JBL Synthesis S4VC x3 (LCR)
JBL Synthesis S4AI x4 (Surrounds)
Cornered Audio LS1 x4 (Atmos)

I have just purchased the new 16” Macbook Pro to help with this with a superdrive and also a 20TB WD external drive.

I know that the ideal scenario here would be kaleidoscape system, but can’t justify the cost that would involve

can anyone help advise me of how best to do this It would be great if i can somehow connect the HDD to the Oppo so that this can play the content just as i would be able to if i put the disk in so that content can be upscaled.

all your help and advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

You can use the free software MakeMKV to do full Blu-ray rips including extras in a BDMV folder structure.

If you are just connecting the drive to the oppo via USB that is enough otherwise if you choose network playback you will need to do a couple of extra steps to AVCHD folder structure and modifier tool as outlined in this FAQ.

You will need another drive to rip 4K Blu-ray if you have them.

The Infuse app on your Apple TV might play BDMV structure and includes a fancy video wall. Otherwise Android players such as Zappiti or Zidoo will play them with menus and have a picture wall too.

Thank you for your response I appreciate you taking the time.

can you recommend an external drive?

i will give this ago next weekend my laptop arrives on Monday

No mine are all internal. There is a extensive thread on 4K friendly drives on the MakeMKV forum. Some people use internal drives in a caddy then attached via USB. Have a read of the thread.

I ended up going for Pioneer BDR-XS07B-UHD on eBay just bought it but it may take a while to arrive its coming from Japan i decided that I may only rip my Blu Rays for now but this drive is 4k compatible should I decide in future to do those.

i will feedback once all the pieces to the puzzle are in hand and ive had a chance to try it thanks again

Don’t make the mistake I did and sell your oppo!!

Im in the process of doing the same as you, it’s fair to say I’m having mixed results so far!!

No I wouldn’t dream of it, i tried to buy a second but just missed the last batch out of the states.

let me know how you get on I’d appreciate pointers so i can avoid making the same mistake i know tjgis wont be an easy task

Hi Saj1l,
Have you looked at the Zappiti Nas RIP?
I think it would slot nicely into your system & take the pain out of all the manual ripping, I use make MKV myself & it is superb but it is labour intensive if ripping a whole collection, the Zappiti is designed for the job.

Hi Saj1l,
Have you looked at the Zappiti Nas RIP?
I think it would slot nicely into your system & take the pain out of all the manual ripping, I use make MKV myself & it is superb but it is labour intensive if ripping a whole collection, the Zappiti is designed for the job.
Hi Jason,

If you are backing up to full BDMV rather than making an MKV, the process is not labour intensive in the least to me.

Load the MakeMKV software
Insert the disk in the tray.
Select full backup, point to the destination folder on your drive and change the file name if you wish.
Hit start.

The whole process takes under a minute and minimal key strokes.

The Zappiti rip is £2,500 before you’ve even added a drive and you’ll need more than one since it uses raid. You may need to have a Zappiti player as well to use it, but I’m not sure on that. It certainly isn’t any quicker at backup than standard optical drives. 25 minutes for blu, 45+ for UHD.

Hi Mtenga,
Yeah, that’s very true, I rip to MKV & do faff about stripping it back.
Looking at Saj’s very nice system though, It doesn’t look like the cost of the Zap system would be a stumbling block & could be a nice, slick solution? I’d probably have one if I could afford it:rotfl:

Hi Mtenga,
Yeah, that’s very true, I rip to MKV & do faff about stripping it back.
Looking at Saj’s very nice system though, It doesn’t look like the cost of the Zap system would be a stumbling block & could be a nice, slick solution? I’d probably have one if I could afford it:rotfl:
I must admit that coming from a very ordinary upbringing its in my DNA to seek cost effective solutions. I’d feel a bit mugged buying the NAS rip when I have an elegant, efficient and cheap PC solution. I’m not averse to spending money on IT and AV but seek value and have to be able to justify to myself. Value judgements are up to the individual but I think it’s important to point out that the NAS rip isn’t really offering that much over other solutions for its price.

I must admit looking at the Zappiti it does look pretty slick but your right €2400 For the NAS then you would need high capacity drives as I imagine future upgrades to increase capacity maybe difficult swapping drives and could introduce an element of corruption.

plus would need another visit from my calibrator to calibrate the new player which adds additional costs not much but adds to that already large number

looking at it the pro audicom player would be the one to go but again an additional €1800 a gorgeous solution which i am extremely tempted by i have to admit knowing my daft self i would have ordered the kit this morning but in the process of a full house refurb.

i think i will try the original solution first and see how that goes then report back

Yes do let us know how you get on. Digitising my collection has been an ongoing project for the last couple of years and I’ve still got a way to go. But doing as I’ve outlined works easily for me, except on the odd UHD disk, which MakeMKV won’t load. Never any issue with standard Blu-Rays.

I don’t bother ripping to MKV anymore except for DVDs and prefer BDMV folders which my Cambridge Audio players play without issue including HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. My Zappiti players also play the files in HDR alone, where appropriate, and include the fancy picture wall but is just a whole load more effort in terms of having to index the files and also menu support is less efficient than the Cambridge. The Zappiti players are additionally also more sluggish than the Cambridge and its sister Oppo players. But if anyone must have a picture wall rather than list view then they must.

Why has it taken you so long to digitise your collection? Also i thought the Zappiti picked up the ISO files and pulled the data from online sources what do you mean by having to index the files? The reviews ive read today say that you just need a folder named “movies” that needs to be pointed to the player and away you go.

after your feedbacks i looked into the ZAPPITI PRO 4K HDR AUDIOCOM CINEMA EDITION I managed to find an open box unit unused for £300 less than retail and bought it. My thinking is i will backup the blu rays using the makemkv software save to my NAS then connect that to both the Oppo and the new player depending how the Oppo fairs ill sell/return the new player

Why has it taken you so long to digitise your collection? Also i thought the Zappiti picked up the ISO files and pulled the data from online sources what do you mean by having to index the files? The reviews ive read today say that you just need a folder named “movies” that needs to be pointed to the player and away you go.

after your feedbacks i looked into the ZAPPITI PRO 4K HDR AUDIOCOM CINEMA EDITION I managed to find an open box unit unused for £300 less than retail and bought it. My thinking is i will backup the blu rays using the makemkv software save to my NAS then connect that to both the Oppo and the new player depending how the Oppo fairs ill sell/return the new player
I have a large collection of maybe 2500 movies and 200 unique TV shows, many with multiple series. I add to it all the time. I’ve done most of the TV series and about 70% of the movies but it’s a long term job.

When I say index I just mean add to the Zappiti software and let it identify. Yes you should separate movies and TV shows for proper identification within Zappiti.

If you are no longer set on USB connection to the Oppo alone then you will need to add the AVCHD and modifier steps as outlined in the FAQ I linked to. It’s not much extra but required for network access.

Hi chaps, just an update, I have bought the NAS Rip 4k HDR due to shipping issues I am due to take delivery on Tuesday this coming week, I have also bought 3x Seagate 16TB IronWolf Pro drives as will be using in RAID 5 configuration and as you know from my last message I bought the player. I will feedback once I have it all setup and tested thanks again in

You certainly didn’t hold back then Saj :thumbsup:
I’d be very interest to hear how you get on with it?

Hi chaps, just an update, I have bought the NAS Rip 4k HDR due to shipping issues I am due to take delivery on Tuesday this coming week, I have also bought 3x Seagate 16TB IronWolf Pro drives as will be using in RAID 5 configuration and as you know from my last message I bought the player. I will feedback once I have it all setup and tested thanks again in

Mines also coming tomorrow, although I’ve already ripped 500 odd movies whilst I have waited for delivery 🤣

Last edited:
I will keep you posted although I’ll need to call my calibrator to give everything the once over before i formally comment on the difference.

@mb3195 sounds like you've also been dealing with Mark at Audiocom, great stuff let us know how you get on too

I’ll be listing my new 20TB WD PR4100 have no need for it now just in case your interested or know someone who would be ta!

Do you all use MKV ? Doea anyone use these or other software ?

I’ve used MakeMKV for as long as I can remember, I did initially use something else but I can’t remember what it was & it wasn’t as simple or reliable, since finding MakeMKV, I simply haven’t needed to look elsewhere, that’s not to say I wouldn’t have a NasRip if I had the available spondoolies, as with my Innuos music server, it just feels good to slip the disc in & let the machine take care of business :)

1. Items for sale by asmcom | eBay. Ask seller for LG-WH16NS60.
2. Purchase MakeMKV.
3. Make sure you have a reasonably spec-ed computer. Mine is Intel i7-9700, 16 GB, Nvidia 2070 which is more than enough.
4. Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet prior to loading MakeMKV. At least prior to ripping UHD for the first time.
5. Insert the UHD.
6. Do the selection (subs / dubs).
7. Wait for 35-55 mins.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
1. Items for sale by asmcom | eBay. Ask seller for LG-WH16NS60.
2. Purchase MakeMKV.

Thanks very much for this explanation @lgans. I am a novice looking at this and it looks as though for UHD blurays that a UHD friendly drive is needed? Assuming asmcom has supply, that is all i need to install (and not upgrade the firmware) and then run MakeMKV and point the save location to a NAS. Job done?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks very much for this explanation @lgans. I am a novice looking at this and it looks as though for UHD blurays that a UHD friendly drive is needed? Assuming asmcom has supply, that is all i need to install (and not upgrade the firmware) and then run MakeMKV and point the save location to a NAS. Job done?

I will PM you now.

Do you all use MKV ? Doea anyone use these or other software ?

Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom