Dirty John on Bravo

encaser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dirty John
Bit of an oddity this, as it stars Connie Britton, Eric Bana and Juno Temple and Julia Garner - the latter of Ozarks - in what appears as a romance but is soon clearly a tale of a nutter moving in on someone. But when I say oddity, it's more because Bana is in a TV show and one that runs for 9 episodes over a single theme. Bana appears one minute as a good catch and then not so much. But, why? Well that's the hook. Pretty soon on you see he has some gears running off whack interspersed with calm and kindness on top one moment and then serious coldness the next.
The opener is a bit slow in places with the rather dippiley desperate for love Britton and Bana in lovey-dovey stuff but Juno Temple is there to be the grown brat daughter from hell and her younger sibling Garner is near as annoying. And so it's a toss up as to whether the viewer will side with who overall but with something of a shock ending, you can imagine from one episode it shouldn't be Bana. However, how they quite manage to stretch this, going by the first, into nine episodes is somewhat doubtful as of yet.
Y1000_CR0,0,700,1000_AL_.jpg

Terrible series. Don't waste your time.

Oh dear. Oh dear. Ohhh dear.

is it really that bad - looked ok in the trailer but won't bother if it is rubbish.

Judge for yourself, we watched episode 1 and two last night on Netflix,intriguing worth a watch up to now.

is it really that bad - looked ok in the trailer but won't bother if it is rubbish.
I got several ep's in for Bana mainly but found it very daytime/Living TV style and really didn't like any of the characters and found the plot, supposedly based on truth, unbelievably bad. Connie Britton, for example, is so drippy in this, Juno Temple I wanted to send to her room or make her move out for good and lose my number and Bana was wasted.
The first ep or two appear like they could go somewhere but descend fast.
YMMV.

Finished this over the weekend and am kind of sorry I did.

So the ending was a bit of a shock (in the context of some of the characters), but 9 episodes? There were a couple midway through dealing with the families troubled history that contained endless talking and could easily be skipped.

And I can't decide if that was an acting masterclass from Connie Britton or simply the worst script pacing, writing and interpretation I've ever seen.

Someone above perfectly described her character as drippy. I can only assume John was slipping some drugs in those morning cocktails.

Disjointed, disconnected and much too long. A movie, or 3x episode series at best.

Next!

Watched this over the weekend. First few episodes kept me interested but it descended quickly, a chore to get through. Always liked Eric Bana and Connie Britton so this was a real shame.

Watched this and it was really quite poor. Bana was decent but couldn’t save it

I enjoyed the whole series and thought Eric Bana played a great part. Great acting all round IMO.

This is a truly absorbing series. It's well made with top quality acting and production values.
I can't recommend it highly enough

‘Dirty John’: Amanda Peet & Christian Slater To Star In Season 2 Of Anthology On USA, Title & Subject Revealed – Deadline

Season 2 Dirty John: The Betty Broderick Story
(infamous divorce case that ended in a double homicide)

In Season 2, which will feature an all-female directing team, Betty Broderick (Amanda Peet) is the perfect Southern California blonde wife and mother. Married to her handsome college boyfriend Dan (Christian Slater), Betty charms everyone she meets. After years of sacrifice and suffering while supporting Dan through both medical and law school until he exploded onto the San Diego legal scene as a superstar, Betty is finally enjoying the fruits of their labors. That is, until Dan hires Linda, a bright, beautiful young woman without baggage with whom he can happily forget the struggles of his past. Betty’s attempts to fight back and enraged refusals to accept reality only serve to isolate and destabilize her until she loses her very identity. And Dan’s cold confidence blinds him to the bear he has created, and won’t stop poking … until it’s too late.

Last edited:
‘Dirty John’: Amanda Peet & Christian Slater To Star In Season 2 Of Anthology On USA, Title & Subject Revealed – Deadline

Season 2 Dirty John: The Betty Broderick Story
(infamous divorce case that ended in a double homicide)

In Season 2, which will feature an all-female directing team, Betty Broderick (Amanda Peet) is the perfect Southern California blonde wife and mother. Married to her handsome college boyfriend Dan (Christian Slater), Betty charms everyone she meets. After years of sacrifice and suffering while supporting Dan through both medical and law school until he exploded onto the San Diego legal scene as a superstar, Betty is finally enjoying the fruits of their labors. That is, until Dan hires Linda, a bright, beautiful young woman without baggage with whom he can happily forget the struggles of his past. Betty’s attempts to fight back and enraged refusals to accept reality only serve to isolate and destabilize her until she loses her very identity. And Dan’s cold confidence blinds him to the bear he has created, and won’t stop poking … until it’s too late.
(Amanda Peet) is the perfect Southern California blonde
We all know that's a lie.;)
The first was dire and I'm amazed there's another run - albeit different casting/story.
I like the leads so maybe I'll dip a toe...

Dirty Dan, surely?

Or Dirty Betty?

will play Karen Kintner, a charismatic and funny wife and mother and integral part of Betty’s friend circle, whose own past marriage woes give Betty hope. Fain will portray Evelyn Crowley, a kind and supportive friend of Betty’s who’s married to a law colleague of Dan’s – and as a result is caught between Betty and Dan when they divorce

Keller will play Linda Kolkena, a bright, beautiful, capable young receptionist who Dan hires to lighten his workload. Liberated and optimistic, Linda falls in love with her new boss but struggles to reconcile their years long affair with her traditional values.

Bergl will portray Marie Stewart, one of Betty’s only divorced friends. Kind, smart, and having been through it herself, she implores Betty to take her divorce seriously.

Georgas will play Betty’s friend Janet Ravis, a funny, adventurous mother and widow who encourages Betty to find joy and purpose in life both before and after her split from Dan.

Skovbye and Mason will play Betty (Peet) and Dan (Slater) during the early years of their courtship and marriage on the east coast. Devoted to achieving their goals as a team no matter how hard things get, they’re driven, hardworking, hopeful, and very much in love.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom