Disc not compatible

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a film about 7 years ago, but never really got chance to watch it properly, as the one time I did put it on I was busy with something else and it was more of a background thing.
This was also with an older BD player which I only replaced last year due to it giving up after almost 10 years.
The BD player was bought from Richer Sounds and plays everything else perfectly.
The film was bought from HMV and so is obviously region B.
I’ve just tried playing this film on the new player and it keeps giving me an error message saying “not compatible”.

Any ideas? A fix?
Any help would be appreciated.

I bought a film about 7 years ago, but never really got chance to watch it properly, as the one time I did put it on I was busy with something else and it was more of a background thing.
This was also with an older BD player which I only replaced last year due to it giving up after almost 10 years.
The BD player was bought from Richer Sounds and plays everything else perfectly.
The film was bought from HMV and so is obviously region B.
I’ve just tried playing this film on the new player and it keeps giving me an error message saying “not compatible”.

Any ideas? A fix?
Any help would be appreciated.

You could have not been more vague. :confused:

What film? What players ?

^exactly what I was thinking. Told us everything except the important stuff :laugh:

Most obvious question, is the firmware on your new player completely up-to-date?

Old player was a Sony BDP-S360.
New player is a Panasonic DMP-BD84(firmware 1.78)
Film title not important. Nothing dodgy, but is from 2009, so nothing new.

As I said, it worked fine on the Sony, but not on the Pani.
No problems with every other disc I’ve used on the Pani.

Last edited:
Old player was a Sony BDP-S360.
New player is a Panasonic DMP-BD84(formware
Film title not important. Nothing dodgy, but is from 2009, so nothing new.

As I said, it worked fine on the Sony, but not on the Pani.
No problems with every other disc I’ve used on the Pani.
I've got a couple of discs that won't play anymore. One was purchased from the US in 2008 and the other from France in 2014. No scratches or any visible sign of damaged, used to work fine but no longer, whatever player I try doesn't recognise the disc. Your issue sounds much the same. Do you have another player you can try or maybe a friend who has a player you can test on?

Only other option is to try it in my Xbox One X.
The thing is, as I said in my original post, both players and the disc were bought here in the UK and are UK region coded.

Film title is important as it could be a known disc that a lot of players have problems with.
Eg a lot of Fox discs released around the time of Avatar/first time Star Wars was released on BD cause(d) problems on a lot of players as Fox used a lot of Java on their discs & some players struggled.

Similar to movieman1866, I’ve had quite a few UK BDs that have randomly stopped being recognised & don’t play anymore. Tested on 2xBD players, PS3, PS4 & 2xPC BD drives. Ended up having to buy replacement discs.

The film is Splice.
As I said, bought from HMV and is region B.
Worked fine on the the Sony.
I did used to have issues on the Sony with both Prometheus and Alien Covenant, which would freeze and have picture break up. Prometheus was always around the scene with the xenomorph mural.
Those were the only 2 films I ever had issues with on the song until it started to give up completely.
Haven’t tried either on the Pani, but as I said, all other BDs I have played have played fine.

If it doesn’t play on the Xbox then it’s most likely the disc has gone (for whatever reason).

The last disc that happened to me recently was Captain America (UK disc). Worked perfectly fine on all 6 players previously. Same 6 players won’t play it anymore. Replacement disc works fine on all 6 players.

I picked up Splice from Poundland and it played fine on whatever machine I was using at the time. It'll have been my old Pioneer or my Oppo 203.

Bri

If it doesn’t play on the Xbox then it’s most likely the disc has gone (for whatever reason).

The last disc that happened to me recently was Captain America (UK disc). Worked perfectly fine on all 6 players previously. Same 6 players won’t play it anymore. Replacement disc works fine on all 6 players.

How can a disc just "go"?
It's been played once(on the old Pani player) before I tried watching it last night.
It's in mint condition, not a mark on it, and has been sitting on a shelf, in the case since I bought it in 2013.

Anyone remember disc rot with CDs?? A similar thing can happen with Blu-ray as well.

You won't see the damage as it's microscopic, but certain players may stop playing the disc initially and eventually nothing will play it.

It's been played once(on the old Pani player) before I tried watching it last night.
It's in mint condition, not a mark on it, and has been sitting on a shelf, in the case since I bought it in 2013.
Sounds the same as the discs in my collection that have stopped working.
Disc worked before. Disc doesn’t work anymore. No damage to disc & not been played in years. Identical replacement disc plays fine.

Production issue that can take years too manifest, affected the French release of Silent Hill which was a bummer as the release was long OOP when the issue started to appear so getting a replacement was nigh on impossible.

The first two blu rays I purchased, both from the US, don't work anymore. One won't play at all, disc not recognised and the other will play to a certain point in the movie and go no further. Both worked when purchased in 2008 and again in 2012 but didn't last year. I've had the same thing happen with a DVD. I know some laserdiscs suffered with rot and you'd get lots of sparklies on the picture much like analog satellite in a rainstorm.

I seem to remember it was due to contamination of the metalised surface. Tiny imperfections "grow" and the disc becomes unplayable after a while.

Proper storage is important though. Keep discs in their cases out of direct sunlight, that sort of thing. Touch wood, I haven't had a CD or DVD/BR fail on me yet (says he, tempting fate!) and some of my CDs go back to when the medium was first introduced.

Clem

HDDVD discs were notorious for disc rot.

Tried it in my Xbox One X and it loaded, played a whole bunch of trailers, but tripped up at the main menu.
It just kept playing the menu animation on a loop, which kept breaking up, and wouldn't load any menu options.

How does a blu-ray of all discs just go bad?
They're supposed to be more durable than DVDs.
I've got CDs from the late 90s, which weren't even brand new when I bought them, but they still work.
I have DVDs and games(PS1, PS2, Xbox and Xbox360) which still work, a lot of which are over 10 years old.
Yet one blu-ray bought in 2012/2013 somehow just goes bad?
It's only ever been played once before attempting to last night.

And just for reference, I keep all my discs in cases when not in use, on a shelf, and out of direct sunlight.

CD/DVD are more forgiving as their data isn’t so densely packed on a disc & the 1s & 0s are relatively big on the disc. You have to scratch/corrupt a lot of the discs to have compromised enough of the data to stop it being read.

BD have the data much more densely packed & the 1s & 0s are very small on the disc. It doesn’t take a lot of scratching/corruption to compromise a lot of the data. It’s partly why BDs have Durabis as standard to help protect against scratches. Won’t protect against rot though.

It’s like anything. Maybe a dodgy disc which wouldn’t of played when you bought it ?
like when we buy box sets (eg x-files) when we don’t get round to playing the discs in season 9 until 4 years later and discover a scratch on a disc or something.
What you in all likelihood have is a defective disc that wouldn’t of played the day you bought it.
Have a beer and stream it on Netflix

How does a blu-ray of all discs just go bad?
if it's like the issue that others have mentioned previously, it might be due to the inner metallic sheet getting corrupted, which i believe is usually caused by contamination in the assembly process. the sheet begins to decay/rot. i've also seen some of my DVD writables get whst looks like a blister in the plastic. Your disc is over 7 years old, plenty of time for contamination to do its stuff.

Bit of a long shot, have you tried disabling the network connection on the Blu-ray player before inserting the disc in case it's trying to ping a server that no longer exists?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom