Question Discreet 5.1.2 movie setup

kyle123

Standard Member
Reaction score
We're moving into our house next week and the gaffer has given the green light for a combined lounge/home cinema with projector as long as it's discreet!

I'm getting a tab tensioned, non AT in-ceiling screen and looking for a discreet 5.1.2 set up, bookshelf won't fly and I don't want floor standing speakers on account of an inquisitive 2 year old!

This will be 80% films, 15% ps4/5 and 5% music. This is what I'm thinking:

AVR: Denon AVR-x2700h, though there are some good deals on the x3600 that I could be tempted by.
Fronts: 2 x Monitor Audio CP-WT260 and a CP-WT240LCR for the centre (the centre will sit below the projector screen and the wall will be boxed out to accommodate)
Rears: 2 x Monitor Audio Sound Frame 3 (on wall)
Height: 2 x Monitor Audio CT-CT260s
Sub: No idea

I'm by no means an audiophile and I'm very new to this, but someone who knows far more than me advised to get the best speakers I can afford (am allowed to afford) as the other bits get upgraded more often! Would be good to get some advice as to whether all this sounds like a good idea, or whether I could save some cash/spend more wisely.

Also, if none of this'll work, would be good if someone could tell me so!

Budget is about £2600(ish) including only the speakers and amp.

Much appreciated!

How large is the room with possible openings? How far will you be sitting from screen? If you have floor plan, post it here. :) Would help give better idea to everyone.

Shame to hear you can´t opt for the AT screen, it would have been the most optimal route as you can get the LCR speakers in same same height side by side using identical speakers. Hopefully the screen doesn´t drop too low and you have decent height ceiling as you don´t want to have the most active speaker in your system firing your knees too low.

Do they need to have sealed back boxes built in? There is also models with open back cheaper with better specs.

WT-250LCR as center channel with larger 5" drivers and better tweeter than on the smaller WT-240LCR. The AVO link description has wrong information regarding the mid-bass drivers..

And the same for the main front channels:

I don´t know where you have seen X3600H as it should be sold out months ago! Some dealers might keep it on their site just to get customers to call in so they can offer the new model (Peter Tyson). If you are going to buy PS5 you want the HDMI 2.1 connections so X2700H / X3700H in that case. You are shopping rather poor time as the models are so new with dirty high price tag, but if you ask bundle deal with speakers you get discount! Ask from 2-3 different dealers at least as there can be noticeable differences.

The ones you listed with X2700H will cost 2244£ without discounts.

Then you need X amount of CL2 rated speaker wire! Depending how long runs AWG14 could be fine.
Amazon product ASIN B001WHZ9K6
Final question mark will be how much for subwoofer budgeted and what size / finish it needs to be? One larger / two smaller if you got free hands regarding where you can place the subwoofer(s).

Last edited:
Thanks for that, yes, I’ve got a floor plan as I’ve been playing around with the layout - it’s an L shaped room which isn’t ideal (see attached).

The non-at rationale was due the screen needing to be in front of a window (the window facing the sofa) and so the speakers cannot be behind the screen anyway. I therefore figured I'd spend the extra non a non-at tab tensioned that would do for fauxK if/when I upgrade my projector. The built out fireplace doesn't exist actually (yet), but the missus decided on an electric fire with the TV above it. The sofa is L shaped so we'll have to switch seating depending on projector or TV.

From what I've read (though it could be/I probably am wrong) I'd be better off with the back boxes as the speakers would be getting set into a stud/built out wall at the sides/below the window and risked turning the wall into a giant speaker. - Quite happy to be wrong though and save some cash!

There are some open box/refurb 3600 at richer sounds if you search by store at around the 640 mark (if I recall correctly).

I don't think she'll like a sub at all ;) but I think she'd put her foot down at 2, so it'll need to be 1 and not massive! Budget, probably about £400, but more if I can save on the speakers, if I could get all in for about 2,600 it would be ideal (plus cable). I'm happy for second hand too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_00.jpg
    Screenshot_00.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for that, yes, I’ve got a floor plan as I’ve been playing around with the layout - it’s an L shaped room which isn’t ideal (see attached).

The non-at rationale was due the screen needing to be in front of a window (the window facing the sofa) and so the speakers cannot be behind the screen anyway. I therefore figured I'd spend the extra non a non-at tab tensioned that would do for fauxK if/when I upgrade my projector. The built out fireplace doesn't exist actually (yet), but the missus decided on an electric fire with the TV above it. The sofa is L shaped so we'll have to switch seating depending on projector or TV.

From what I've read (though it could be/I probably am wrong) I'd be better off with the back boxes as the speakers would be getting set into a stud/built out wall at the sides/below the window and risked turning the wall into a giant speaker. - Quite happy to be wrong though and save some cash!

There are some open box/refurb 3600 at richer sounds if you search by store at around the 640 mark (if I recall correctly).

I don't think she'll like a sub at all ;) but I think she'd put her foot down at 2, so it'll need to be 1 and not massive! Budget, probably about £400, but more if I can save on the speakers, if I could get all in for about 2,600 it would be ideal (plus cable). I'm happy for second hand too.

So the screen goes to 3,33 wall, ok. If you have done research and those sealed versions are recommended then go that route. There is certainly lot of different opinions on that matter. I wouldn`t even bring it up, i just checked the models and noticed the CP-WT240LCR is rather small model with tiny drivers. I wonder if you could fit another CP-WT260 and turn it horizontally perhaps, you would have to ask from Monitor Audio how it´s going to affect the tweeter dispersion. Having identical LCR speakers would be best scenario. Hopefully the mounting height won´t be low. Not sure how large screen you are buying.

X3600H will be fine if you can play games with the tv (PS5) and it has HDMI 2.1 input(s) so you can connect the console straight to tv. Otherwise you need the 2020 model with HDMI 2.1 input. There is bug found on them, but it mainly concerns Xbox users it seems.

For subwoofer you have few options. 320€ with discount code this is one of the best deals at the moment, but is the size too large HxWxD 18.9" x 15" x 19.7" (480 x 380 x 500mm) and is the finish ok?

If wife says too large cabinet then you have to consider local BK Electronics and XXLS400 is possible to get around 400£ mark. Plenty of different finishes to choose from including front firing or down firing driver. You won´t get similar impact for action/scifi movies than from the larger Monolith, but if you haven´t heard product like this before you won´t be disappointed either. Assuming you can stretch the budget to 500£ mark and need the wife friendly size and finish i will link you third option the P12-PR model. It would better choice purely for movies while keeping compact size.

Check those out and tell me what you think. I think you should start sending email to dealers and ask what kind of bundle deal they can offer you after you choose which av-receiver to get.

That’s great, thanks for your help, I’ll read through and come back!

Thanks for all your advice, I'm now in the house so I've had a scout and a poke at the walls. Things have changed a little as all the walls are external cavity walls, so this has changed things slightly, the W250s don't have back boxes that allow installation into a solid wall, so I'm either going to have to make some - which seems feasible, or go for something like 3 x Monitor Audio W280 IDCs that MA do ready made back boxes for.

Regarding the sub, I think that the BK will fly with wifey. Especially as there's a white version, and a grade B listed on Ebay for less that 400.

Any recommendations on dealers? I've spoken to a couple that sell online and they just said that their best prices are on their website 🤷🏼‍♂️

Much appreciated.

Thanks for all your advice, I'm now in the house so I've had a scout and a poke at the walls. Things have changed a little as all the walls are external cavity walls, so this has changed things slightly, the W250s don't have back boxes that allow installation into a solid wall, so I'm either going to have to make some - which seems feasible, or go for something like 3 x Monitor Audio W280 IDCs that MA do ready made back boxes for.

Regarding the sub, I think that the BK will fly with wifey. Especially as there's a white version, and a grade B listed on Ebay for less that 400.

Any recommendations on dealers? I've spoken to a couple that sell online and they just said that their best prices are on their website 🤷🏼‍♂️

Much appreciated.

If the two dealers won´t give you discount, send email/message with a list of speaker models you are intrested to Peter Tyson, they usually come forward with better price.

Yes either the white XXLS400 FF on the Colosussxb site or new P12-PR which would be my choice purely looking your usage. You would get bit more stronger low end for blockbuster movies due to passive radiator. It will look exactly same as XXLS400 with similar cabinet. You also get auto on/off feature.

Final option (smallest) is the SVS SB1000 which will cost about 480£ if you use the Black Friday -10% code. I think these come directly from SVS to AVO and usually they are in very good shape. It says " May have minor marks " so you need to call them to check one. Full warranty etc.

Great, thanks, I'm going to go for a P12-PR as soon as they have them back in stock, and I've emailed Peter Tyson. I'm not in a huge rush and I'll go for a SVS SB1000 if it's getting close to crunch time!

Thanks for all your help

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom