Discuss the Philips launch of the flagship 9002 OLED and 7502 LED 4K HDR TVs

Thank you Steve for the article, great job as always
- any information on hdmi 2.1 upgrade path?
- everyone seem to monitor dv, any chance we see it implemented via software ?

Philips really raised the bar and if only it could provide answers on the above two point

Thank you Steve for the article, great job as always
- any information on hdmi 2.1 upgrade path?
- everyone seem to monitor dv, any chance we see it implemented via software ?

Philips really raised the bar and if only it could provide answers on the above two point
I had three questions for Philips that I didn't mention in the article because they weren't 100% sure themselves. The first was does the 9002 use a 2017 LG panel? They said that should be the case but were waiting for confirmation from Taiwan. The second was can they add Dolby Vision via a firmware update? They said probably but again they needed to check. Finally I asked about HDMI 2.1 and again the answer was possibly but they weren't 100% sure.

Thank you Steve. You asked the right questions indeed.
Let us know if they follow up with you on these. Philips has a real winner here if they play it right. DV and hdmi 2.1 upgrade path is part of it. Hope they read this forum or simply listen to people like you...
I will be surprised if they don't use the new panels with such high nits but will wait for confirmation...
All these oled sets are very exciting and can't wait for for reviews.
Thanks again

It certainly looks like another contender, and the more the merrier as choice is a great thing.

Interesting that it may be cheaper than the 901F as well. More good news.

One point you didn't mention (your proper review when available will confirm), but the techradar hands on piece says that the input lag could suffer due to the extra processing from the new P5? Here is the extract:

'One final note of caution regards input lag. The 901F caught some flack for its relatively high level of lag, which is a problem for anyone looking to use the set for fast-paced gaming.

When we enquired about this, a spokesperson from Philips suggested that far from improving the situation, the increased amount of picture processing done by the P5 chip has the potential to worsen input lag.

We weren’t able to test this for ourselves, but it’s certainly something to bear in mind for gamers.'

Steve, did this get mentioned to you as well? Not really that bothered myself as not a gamer, but will interest many who may be in the market for an OLED this year, and with the LG's coming in around 21ms, won't be a choice for them?

I can assure you no one got 'hands-on' with anything today, so that's more than a little misleading from Tech Radar. I was in the same meeting as the journalist who wrote that piece and what Philips actually said was that the P5 imaging engine could increase lag due to more processing but, obviously, the game modes will bypass any processing and they expected the lag to be below 40ms. Of course we will actually test the SDR and HDR lag times when we get the 9002 in for review.

I can assure you no one got 'hands-on' with anything today, so that's more than a little misleading from Tech Radar. I was in the same meeting as the journalist who wrote that piece and what Philips actually said was that the P5 imaging engine could increase lag due to more processing but, obviously, the game modes will bypass any processing and they expected the lag to be below 40ms. Of course we will actually test the SDR and HDR lag times when we get the 9002 in for review.

Thought as much, I read the other pieces, but only listen to yours! ;)

Thanks, look forward to several new OLED reviews from you in the coming months. Then time to get the wallet out...

So this is a 2016 LG panel like the 901F then?

@Steve Withers

Thanks for all the great info Steve, you are really providing a wealth of information on this and on other threads. I can say from my own perspective, it's greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

so this next Phillips is going to come out at a lower price than Lg's B/C Oleds yet the Phillips will have better motion handling although a worse OS system ?

so this next Phillips is going to come out at a lower price than Lg's B/C Oleds yet the Phillips will have better motion handling although a worse OS system ?

Worse, thats strong as android is improving slowly but surely
Some people reported that it is even faster with Philips as it also depends on the chipset and memory :)
Some manufacturer cut ridiculous corners

Android on TVs has been garbage, it slows the whole tv down and takes ages, when i had my Sony we had to reset the tv all the time, even after a whole year of updates, the Sony forums are still full of complaints about it.

FWIW Sony and Philips all used googles recommended hardware which was massively underpowered.

Didnt know they were allowed to use different hardware specs now, so at least thats a positive.

The POS9002 is not the OLED flagship for 2017. No dual tuner option like the POS901, cheaper price and the early release in July are clearly signs not to be the flagship. At IFA the 65POS9602 with dual tuner and integrated soundbar is expected as the flagship OLED TV and Philips TV as direct competitor against Sony A1, Panasonic EZW1002 and LG G7. The POS9602 was leaked in a Philips video at youtube in January. Calling the POS9002 as flagship is a little bit misleading, even if the picture quality will not be much different to the POS9602.

Last edited:
The POS9002 is not the OLED flagship for 2017. No dual tuner option like the POS901, cheaper price and the early release in July are clearly signs not to be the flagship. At IFA the 65POS9602 with dual tuner and integrated soundbar is expected as the flagship OLED TV and Philips TV as direct competitor against Sony A1, Panasonic EZW1002 and LG G7. The POS9602 was leaked in a Philips video at youtube in January. Calling the POS9002 as flagship is a little bit misleading, even if the picture quality will not be much different to the POS9602.

I never managed to see this.. Seen the spreadsheet roadmaps all over the internet though. Anyone have the video unlisted or uploaded somewhere?

Hopfully phillips manages lower gaming lag on they second Oled :cool:

Any news on the Philips ?
Édit:
Availability sept
Price 2750 euros
Input lag all modes 37 tbc

Will Be nice if philips use this delay to refine as planned and add DOLBY VISION and give us hdmi 2.1 ready inputs !!!
come on Philips, that will be a clever move

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I just bought the Philips 55pus7502. I connect my external HDD (4TB capacity) and my brand new TV just show me message:

"Maximum supported is 2TiB, this disk is too large for this architecture, sorry."

Any ideas how to fix it ? This TV doesn't support bigger HDDs in these days? Really? :)

Thank you.

Martin

Attachments

• 39227215_259120241578533_6292745258987945984_n.jpg
    39227215_259120241578533_6292745258987945984_n.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 77
Android TV (as far as I know) only supports fat32 drives which means the max partition size will be 2TB. It is not possible (at least yet, but maybe in a future Android update) to use drives bigger than this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom