Discussing the impact of Brexit

Has, and is Brexit continuing to make life and many things harder, and people poorer in the UK?

• Yes.

Votes: 397 83.6%
  • No.

Votes: 78 16.4%

• Total voters
World Class Backpedaling

The reality will kick in for some on 1st January. I see the EU is putting billons into Hydrogen fuel companies. Meanwhile, Boris is searching at the back of the sofa for a quid.
When the reality kicks in? Well you have all had four years to stock up on supplies of food and medicine so if you are not prepared you have nobody else to blame. I have a basement full of essentials and a parachute for me and one for Arthur, the dog, so we can both negotiate the upcoming massive cliff edge. That's Arthur in my avatar. Anyway, you say the reality is kicking in on 1st January next but my hangover (lots to celebrate) will be so enormous I probably won't notice.

10,000 trucks a day pass through the port. Hunter is clearly assuming that they will all need to be parked up at the same time. Seems a bit unlikely to me.

Unlikely, but preparations are having to be made for when reality kicks in about what's going to happen at the border, especially if there's no deal reached.

Follow this thread. Not by a pesky Guardian reporter either ;) but a trade expert whose very well regarded on Brexit matters.

You're likely also to have heard the news now about the letter Liz Truss wrote to the government. And perhaps Gove on Marr this morning.

Henig is another trade savvy commentator, one of many who have been analysing the situation for a long time and been highlighting where the government are going to have problems. From the checks to the legality.

Whether people like it or not, for this aspect it's time to stop burying heads in sand and face up to the reality of this particular impact.

And this is all before integrating and testing an IT system that hasn't even been built yet. In less than 6 months. It took France a year (or perhaps even more it was for a similar system), with multiple testing stages in preperation.

Last edited:
Rich, it's head in the sands stuff. Bunch of charlatans can't stop being vague. Can't they just say that there will be checks? Instead they dance around the question.

ERG blaming May for the deal they all voted on.
They are complaining that the deal infringes on the UK sovereignty. LOL. The dummies voted for it. :D

As you well know there was a serious risk of Brexit being stopped alltogether so some ERG was spooked into supporting something that had a chance of going through with the mix of MP's.

Now electorate given clear mandate to leave the goalposts have changed and WA was never legally binding but a framework to aim for.

But then I'm sure you already know that :rolleyes:

They are complaining that the deal infringes on the UK sovereignty. LOL. The dummies voted for it. :D

Actually your right to laugh! I've mixed up the WA with the Political Declaration :facepalm:

Just read your link and implies after TP (end of year) if no deal its not applicable ?

Last edited:

this was johnston's deal was it not

As you well know there was a serious risk of Brexit being stopped alltogether so some ERG was spooked into supporting something that had a chance of going through with the mix of MP's.

Now electorate given clear mandate to leave the goalposts have changed and WA was never legally binding but a framework to aim for.

But then I'm sure you already know that :rolleyes:
WA is legally binding the political declaration is not

this was johnston's deal was it not

Yeah, but it is mainly May's deal. Giving Ireland the right to vote their future relationship with the EU was the significant change, something May wasn't prepared to do. No wonder Sinn Fein were eager to get back to Stormont. They will collapse Stormont if N.I. want the relationship to change, effectively paving the way for future reunification, with the UK losing more territory, great for the people who want Ireland to be one again, though.

WA is legally binding the political declaration is not
Yes, I corrected myself but a deal could have changes and no deal make it irrelevant if I'm understanding correctly as it covers the TP.

You couldn't make it up to be honest, it's turning into an episode of The Thick Of It right before our eyes.

That report was dissected a bit by David Henig, this the absolute corker as you point out -

An admittance that the WA/PD threaten our sovereignty. Everyone should just think about it for a minute and let it sink in. I understand and fair enough that sovereignty was one of the most important things to Brexit voters, and now there's a belief that what they signed off on is actually a threat to our sovereignty. It's astonishing stuff.

In response to your previous post, they can't stop dancing because the second they do and admit there's going to be checks, it's an admission of falsifying statements made on the border arrangements. In numerous places and at numerous times over the last few years. Either none of them understood what was going to happen or they purposely lied any time they denied there'd be checks. Each there is as bad as the other really.

Keep an eye on Liz Truss too now, see if she lasts in the role of International Trade Secretary till the end of the year. Apparently her letter has gone down like the Titanic. Reported in The Times that Cummings threw a wobbler. She's not qualified for the job anyway. Or any front bench job for that matter!

It doesn't matter whether you voted Leave or Remain anymore, all that matters is the government getting to grips with the situation that's unfolding. Even if it doesn't turn out as bad as feared, at this point in time it can't be ignored or dismissed. There's potential legal issues as well with the WTO that could present serious problems. There's a lot that needs addressing.

Last edited:
Yeah, but it is mainly May's deal. Giving Ireland the right to vote their future relationship with the EU was the significant change, something May wasn't prepared to do. No wonder Sinn Fein were eager to get back to Stormont. They will collapse Stormont if N.I. want the relationship to change, effectively paving the way for future reunification, with the UK losing more territory, great for the people who want Ireland to be one again, though.

If the majority of people in NI wish to leave the UK and join ROI then that's fine by me. UK would save about £9 billion every year - more than our net EU contributions. So win win.

If the majority of people in NI wish to leave the UK and join ROI then that's fine by me.
I would imagine that sentiment is shared among a majority of people,,i don't recall meeting anyone who considered it an issue in their lives..Come to think of it i don't recall it even being discussed..
Certainly not in the pub or around the dinner table,it just doesn't register with most imho..
People have enough to deal with in their own lives than to sit around worrying about if a place they have never been to decides to leave the UK

If the majority of people in NI wish to leave the UK and join ROI then that's fine by me. UK would save about £9 billion every year - more than our net EU contributions. So win win.

It's great for the nationalist support, Boris played right into their hands whilst selling out the people who supported his party.

Saving money, yes, but you get something out of the club. When you pay into the Single Market, you generate trade and other benefits for Britain.

It's great for the nationalist support, Boris played right into their hands whilst selling out the people who supported his party.

Saving money, yes, but you get something out of the club. When you pay into the Single Market, you generate trade and other benefits for Britain.
But you don’t get a blue passport or a special 50p.

I'm going to invest in JoeBloggs growth stock and grow my money or do I hold my money and not invest? I will have saved a few K by not investing.

Maybe I shouldn't pay a few quid into the union, I will save a few quid, but if my company treats me like crap, I can go to the Uni -- oh wait, I didn't pay into it so I won't get anything out of it.

I won't invest into a private pension, by not investing I will save a few quid now.

What makes it even sweeter is that £9 billion will then have to be funded by the ROI/EU!! I'm Irish so for me that would be win win and another win. :smashin:

I'm going to invest in JoeBloggs growth stock and grow my money or do I hold my money and not invest? I will have saved a few K by not investing.

Maybe I shouldn't pay a few quid into the union, I will save a few quid, but if my company treats me like crap, I can go to the Uni -- oh wait, I didn't pay into it so I won't get anything out of it.

I won't invest into a private pension, by not investing I will save a few quid now.
Might as well keep it under the mattress these days. Interest rstes are pathetic and the money markets are volatile at present. Also, when reality kicks in and the cliff edge looms, better to have your money where it is easily accessible?

Might as well keep it under the mattress these days. Interest rstes are pathetic and the money markets are volatile at present. Also, when reality kicks in and the cliff edge looms, better to have your money where it is easily accessible?

History has proven that after every crash the market goes onto new highs. Leaving it under the mattress means that you lose value and miss out on compounding gains. Invest in good companies. Market crashes make hardly a blip on the charts over the long term, and we have had plenty of crashes over the last 100 years and the good stocks have kept on rising.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom