Disney Plus Top 10 Things You Can't Miss - article discussion

What is Rogue One doing on the list? As apart from Solo it is the worst Star Wars ever released, (It misses everything that the original star wars was about) the original trilogy yes, but Rogue One, that is virtually the lowest you can get in any franchise.

Bill

I completely and utterly disagree. Rogue One is a brilliant film and infinitely better than the awful prequels and the trilogy ruining gash fan-fic that was Rise of Skywalker.

This is a 'what's worth watching thread' - not another 'I didnt sign up because its just for kids thread' or Star Wars or PQ or release schedule moaning thread.

There's so much available on D+ that doesnt pop up on the front page that all recommendations welcome.

I was wondering about that, so there is more content if you do a search, I thought it was just the stuff on the front page.

Glad you folks across the pond finally got this. The Mandalorian is awesome. Just curious, what does it look like with the downgraded video stream?

The video isn't downgraded. You lose Atmos audio. A VPN connected to the US restores Atmos.

You're either from the future (neat trick) or watching it in the 'US'. As noted in the article, it doesn't land here until 17th July. Unfortunately, unlike to a certain extent Netflix, I'm guessing there are going to be more 'staggered' releases here, which means we'll probably have to wait even longer for Mandalorian Season 2.

Yes, I do have the US D+ loaded. That also how I know that n the US when you view all movies, you can select to see all movies that are UHD and/or HDR. That's a feature missing from the UK.

Some useful info for UK subscribers.

Native display resolution for 4K content on the service is currently 1440p. Audio is not Atmos as advertised, but 5.1. I've used Mac Xcode developer tools to discern bitrate too. Around 9Mbps for video and 256kbps for audio. See screenshots.

This may be due to high demand anticipated during the D+ launch window, or manual restrictions in place for Coronavirus increased bandwidth load. Avengers Endgame used in example.
20200325_124733.jpg

20200325_124837.jpg

Last edited:

Native display resolution for 4K content on the service is currently 1440p. Audio is not Atmos as advertised, but 5.1. I've used Mac Xcode developer tools to discern bitrate too. Around 9Mbps for video and 256kbps for audio. See screenshots.

This may be due to high demand anticipate during the D+ launch window, or manual restrictions in place for Coronavirus increased bandwidth load. Avengers Endgame used in example.

There is no such thing as bandwidth issues due to coronavirus load. I have looked at every piece of news and I cannot find any data to support this, or complaints from anyone or any government.
Increased load of course BUT no issues being reported anywhere.

This may be due to high demand anticipate during the D+ launch window, or manual restrictions in place for Coronavirus increased bandwidth load. Avengers Endgame used in example. View attachment 1273395

It is not due to high demand at launch. It is a restriction put in place by Disney to reduce bandwidth usage. It's because of all the different streaming services in use such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Sky Go, Britbox, BBC iPlayer, and others. Some EU politician became afraid that we would run out of bandwidth with all the amount of streaming going on while we are isolating and to try to make sure there is bandwidth available for those working from home.

Netflix has reduced their bandwidth. YouTube has also reduced bandwidth. Netflix has said that they would redice by 25% but we've also seen a 50% drop in UHD. YouTube has said that they will default to SD on auto. I cannot say what YouTube is really doing. I don't know what Amazon Prime is doing. iPlayer seems to not be limiting from what I am seeing. I don't know what Britbox or any of the other streaming services such as RakutenTV, Chili, or any of the others. If anyone knows, please let us know.

If anyone wants maybe you can send him a public query asking for specific data like I did :)
Not that he will ever bother, funny thing he comes up as Internal Market on search.
[email protected]

There is no such thing as bandwidth issues due to coronavirus load. I have looked at every piece of news and I cannot find any data to support this, or complaints from anyone or any government.
Increased load of course BUT no issues being reported anywhere.

Could it be that the streaming services are afraid they don't have enough bandwidth to stream at full speed with such a high demand and that's why they are limiting?

If anyone wants maybe you can send him a public query asking for specific data like I did :)
Not that he will ever bother, funny thing he comes up as Internal Market on search.
[email protected]

If the streaming services fully listened to this idiot, they would all be streaming in just SD. He doesn't get it. If they did that, I think he'd be lynched by now.

Could it be that the streaming services are afraid they don't have enough bandwidth to stream at full speed with such a high demand and that's why they are limiting?

Yes. Also, I can also tell you that if every household streamed at HD quality at the same time, the infrastructure could not cope. I work in broadband, btw. So it's not about increased demand currently putting that strain on the system, but more about the possibility that it could. :thumbsup:

I will add that Avengers Endgame used in example looks fine. It is, after all, from a 2K DI, so nothing is really being lost in this instance. Loss of Atmos is a shame, though, and anything with a 4K DI stands to lose some of that fidelity.

Last edited:
@george1976: I sent him a snottygram, not that it will do any good. I wonder if this new, low quality, charge full whack model will now become the norm? As for the likes of BBC dropping the quality levels of iPlayer, can it get any lower?

i haven't yet noticed any quality issues on Netflix, and only have a few things tagged on Amazon and NowTV, so have yet to check them out. As for Disney, I think that I'l pass.

Clem

I watched Ep 1 of The Mandalorian yesterday and "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" as I've not seen this since I was a child. Really enjoyed both but the PQ (on both) was definitely below par and the sound reminded me of my DVD days with The Mandalorian in particular sounding very compressed. It was still watchable/listenable but definitely compromised. I've noticed similar issues with Netflix and Prime, particularly with native 4K material.

I appreciate there are far more important things in the world to worry about but I'm glad I've been stocking up on discs lately...

I wonder if this new, low quality, charge full whack model will now become the norm?

That's something I've been wondering as well, I would imagine it will depend on how many people they forecast would cancel if it didn't go back to 'normal' versus how much money is saved by adopting this model ("Fight Club/car recall methodology!)

You're either from the future (neat trick) or watching it in the 'US'. As noted in the article, it doesn't land here until 17th July. Unfortunately, unlike to a certain extent Netflix, I'm guessing there are going to be more 'staggered' releases here, which means we'll probably have to wait even longer for Mandalorian Season 2.

The good news is that if you are subscribing via US, your account 'just works' in the UK app - albeit the UK content (at least on SkyQ and AppleTV). So you can continue getting cheaper monthly subs, by paying via Itunes credit, and dip into the US-only content via VPN quickly without messing around with multiple accounts.

That's something I've been wondering as well, I would imagine it will depend on how many people they forecast would cancel if it didn't go back to 'normal' versus how much money is saved by adopting this model ("Fight Club/car recall methodology!)

Well that's the biggest issue for me with the media/streaming debate. We can quite easily be forced into low quality audio and video content, without any say in the matter, going forwards. This is what happened with Sky over time.

Has anyone been able to get anything other than stereo sound from the LG app? TV is a 65 C8. I’ve tried several different movies and that’s all I can get. Through Sky Q I can get 5.1, but then you lose DV so it’s frustrating at the minute. All other apps through the TV work fine.

Yes. Also, I can also tell you that if every household streamed at HD quality at the same time, the infrastructure could not cope. I work in broadband, btw. So it's not about increased demand currently putting that strain on the system, but more about the possibility that it could. :thumbsup:

I also know a bit more about continental Europe broadband where even the poorer countries have way better infrastructure than UK.
So I think that the fact that network wouldn't cope would, maybe, apply here but there is not an issue.
Even here in UK I had Vodafone sending me text saying don't worry we have capacity. That's why I believe the whole thing is bogus.

Has anyone been able to get anything other than stereo sound from the LG app? TV is a 65 C8. I’ve tried several different movies and that’s all I can get. Through Sky Q I can get 5.1, but then you lose DV so it’s frustrating at the minute. All other apps through the TV work fine.
I get DD+ on my B8 using ARC.. Just makes sure you select ARC on the TV drop down sound setting menu

I also know a bit more about continental Europe broadband where even the poorer countries have way better infrastructure than UK.
So I think that the fact that network wouldn't cope would, maybe, apply here but there is not an issue.
Even here in UK I had Vodafone sending me text saying don't worry we have capacity. That's why I believe the whole thing is bogus.
I totally agree with you. The capacity rush is simply not happening and there's plenty to go around. An unnecessary precaution is what I believe this will turn out to be.

I get DD+ on my B8 using ARC.. Just makes sure you select ARC on the TV drop down sound setting menu
Same here, DD+ on my C8. Also got some weird jumping brightness effects on Ep1 of Mandalorian, as if the HDR settings were changing a second into each scene. Hoping its just the bandwidth throttling.....

Already is on ARC and auto. I’ve had no issues with Atmos on other apps (Netflix, Prime), but I still can’t get anything better than stereo on D+.

The usual LG app remedies are - long press Home button to bring up running apps and kill an app with the X above, or re-install the app (by removing from the Home menu), or unplug the TV for a while

On the ATV 4K the app can believe it has no Atmos capability which is fixed by killing the app, toggling the Atmos audio setting and restarting the app so that the app then believes Atmos is supported by the device.

Therefore my suggestion would be: kill the D+ app, uninstall the app, switch ARC to PCM, power cycle the TV, switch ARC to Auto, re-install the D+ app

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom