Disney+ Toy Story 2 only HD not 4K

Joeytheone

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m sure when it first launched it was in 4K, all the other toy story films are.

just says HD now, do others have the same?

thanks

Toy Story 2 now showing HD 5.1 on LG TV app

Streaming services are all limiting bandwidth during the lockdown.

Disney+ app listings for films in 4K are still showing Ultra HD DV Atmos even though from UK launch day they've only actually served a low bit-rate 5.1 track and possibly lower quality video - but still at least in 1440p DV.

In this case the actual listing has changed to HD.

This is something we see from time to time on Itunes movies when the top tier encode is temp removed - currently there are a whole bunch on Itunes only playing in HD DV

I was going to watch Finding Dory last night but it has also been downgraded to HD from 4k HDR.

Seems a bit weird. We all know about the 25% bandwidth reduction but why are random films being downgraded to HD after being available in 4K for the week after launch? It's not on really.

It's something we see on Itunes from time to time, the only guess is that a problem is found in, for example, the 4K HDR version, and it's removed until a new encode is made available.

As bit-rate is baked in at encode I assume for each film there is actually a set of encodes at different bit-rates and standards and the app choose the best according to your line and device. Disney have probably removed all the top tier encodes for bandwidth reasons (i.e. full 4K and Atmos) so the next best is usually 5.1 audio with maybe 1440p video. So it is also possible that for these films the next best they have available is only HD.

It seems all the Pixar films that were 4k are now HDR/HD. I have watched Toy Story 4, Frozen II, and Onward and they all showed 4K and HDR/DV (depening which TV I used). This is unacceptable.

They are still 4K for me in the LG app - but is Onward actually released in the UK yet?

They are still 4K for me in the LG app - but is Onward actually released in the UK yet?
Onward is not yet in the UK. I watched it from the US. But no mater if I see listings from the US or UK, my LG D+ app os only showing HD.

I contacted Disney+ UK this morning via live chat about Finding Dory and Toy Story 2 being downgraded to HD from 4K HDR. It was a customer service representative in, what I presume, was an Indian call centre that I was in contact with so I wasn't 100% that I would get a satisfactory answer. I was given the spiel about the virus lockdown and the streaming services bandwidth reduction at first. I replied that the general bandwidth reduction and the image quality were two separate things. The customer service rep then said that a number of technical issues had arisen since the UK launch and that they will be resolved at the next Disney+ app update. They also logged this particular issue with Finding Dory and Toy Story 2. They also informed me that the update is coming on 10th April.

I guess that is as good an answer as I was going to get. I can't blame the customer service rep. Their technical knowledge is obviously going to be limited and they are only there really to answer quite simple questions. Hopefully this will be rectified in 5 days time with the app update. If not, I will contact Disney+ again. Hopefully, more people will contact Disney+ with the same issue so it will be high on their priorities with the app update.

I contacted Disney+ UK this morning via live chat about Finding Dory and Toy Story 2 being downgraded to HD from 4K HDR. It was a customer service representative in, what I presume, was an Indian call centre that I was in contact with so I wasn't 100% that I would get a satisfactory answer. I was given the spiel about the virus lockdown and the streaming services bandwidth reduction at first. I replied that the general bandwidth reduction and the image quality were two separate things. The customer service rep then said that a number of technical issues had arisen since the UK launch and that they will be resolved at the next Disney+ app update. They also logged this particular issue with Finding Dory and Toy Story 2. They also informed me that the update is coming on 10th April.

I guess that is as good an answer as I was going to get. I can't blame the customer service rep. Their technical knowledge is obviously going to be limited and they are only there really to answer quite simple questions. Hopefully this will be rectified in 5 days time with the app update. If not, I will contact Disney+ again. Hopefully, more people will contact Disney+ with the same issue so it will be high on their priorities with the app update.

I hope the service rep is correct about an app update.

When my mother called for support on and she would get someone from India, she would ask to be transferred to to the US. She had trouble understanding the accent on the phone. So if you get someone from India, maybe you could ask to be transferred to the US if you end up contacting support again. (which I hope not).

One thing I'll try when I get a chance it to unplug the TV to see if that fixes the problem. It's the only thing I can do. I've already deleted the app and reinstalled it.

Just had a Disney+ update for my LG TV, not sure how new it is as I mainly use the Firestick, but just checked and it says v 1.2.0

Just had a Disney+ update for my LG TV, not sure how new it is as I mainly use the Firestick, but just checked and it says v 1.2.0

When the TV with the problem is available, I'll check to see if there is an update or if I'm using the latest version. I'll report back when I can.

It is strange that all the Toy Story movies are all in DV/HDR apart from the second film. It can't be due to limited bandwidth or else the other films would have downgraded to HD as well.

Toy Story 2 was in UHD HDR when Disney+ launched in the UK. After about 9-10 days, it downgraded to being available in HD only. The same goes for Finding Dory. It might have happened with other films too, though I'm unaware.

I was told by a Disney+ customer service rep that there would be an update to the UK app on 10th April and that, hopefully, the issue with Toy Story 2 & Finding Dory would be sorted then. I haven't checked Disney+ today to see if that is true but I don't hold out much luck.

The only way it will get sorted eventually is if enough people flag it up to them. So, on Tuesday I will contact Disney+ again about it. Hopefully others will do the same, it literally only takes 5 minutes to do so via live chat.

Toy Story 2 was in UHD HDR when Disney+ launched in the UK. After about 9-10 days, it downgraded to being available in HD only. The same goes for Finding Dory. It might have happened with other films too, though I'm unaware.

I was told by a Disney+ customer service rep that there would be an update to the UK app on 10th April and that, hopefully, the issue with Toy Story 2 & Finding Dory would be sorted then. I haven't checked Disney+ today to see if that is true but I don't hold out much luck.

The only way it will get sorted eventually is if enough people flag it up to them. So, on Tuesday I will contact Disney+ again about it. Hopefully others will do the same, it literally only takes 5 minutes to do so via live chat.

The app was updated sooner then the 10th to (I think) version 1.2.1 and it still didn't fix the problem with my main TV showing UHD in HD. I too will contact Disney and see what they have to say for themselves. It was working when I first installed the app. Now it's not.

The app was updated sooner then the 10th to (I think) version 1.2.1 and it still didn't fix the problem with my main TV showing UHD in HD. I too will contact Disney and see what they have to say for themselves. It was working when I first installed the app. Now it's not.

Hopefully they will listen! I understand about limiting it to 1440p but it is DV/HDR that am most concerned about since those formats make the biggest difference. Lets hope they don't listen to the 'I can't tell the difference ' brigade.

I contacted Disney+ Customer Service via live chat again earlier about Toy Story 2 and Finding Dory and as I suspected, it was pointless doing so. Obviously, the CS rep isn't going to know much technically but they said that would pass the my question on to 'High Support'. They tried to fob me off with the bandwidth reduction issue being the problem, which is obvious nonsense as why would that affect the resolution of two films only? They also tried to blame my broadband connection. Again, nonsense. This was their two replies below in italics:

REPLY 1: unfortunately, the high support confims to me that the issue is indeed from the widthband reduction. i know it seems odd because other content have the options, but the issue resides in increasing traffic to the internet. if the option of 4k remains in most content i'am afraid it will burden the app performance. that's why if i may suggest to enjoy other content until the issue is resolved

REPLY 2: I would be glad to tell you different but that would be lying to you. but i can tell you from experience is connectivity is indeed related to the quality you can watch the content with. for example if you have less than 25 Mbps internet connection you can't possibly watch a 4K UHD content even if you have a 4K UHD TV.
(I have 70mb Fibre Broadband).

I told them that their answer to my inquiry was unsatisfactory (all I want to know is why Toy Story 2 and Finding Dory had their resolution reduced and when will they return to 4K HDR) so they have said that I will be emailed by the escalation team to resolve the issue. I don't hold out much hope.

As I said in an earlier post, the only way these two films will return to being available in 4K is if enough customers make them aware of the problem so please, if you get 5 spare minutes, contact them yourselves to make them aware.

Last edited:
I raised this the other day too but got fobbed off with the same nonsense story.

I've been contacted by the High Support team now. They have fobbed me off with the same answer again. I have replied and asked them to explain further as what they said is not correct. I will update when, and if, I get another answer.

Last edited:
If 4K is far too much for Bandwidth then they should at least keep it at 1440 or 1080p but with HDR intact.

Another note, unlike Netflix, you can't check if the content is streaming in 4K or not.

As I said in an earlier post, the only way these two films will return to being available in 4K is if enough customers make them aware of the problem so please, if you get 5 spare minutes, contact them yourselves to make them aware.
Dude, just leave it until the pandemic is over & things start going back to normal.
Once that happens & the bitrate/bandwidth restrictions are dropped from Disney+ and IF it’s still only displaying in HD, then it’ll be easier to explain the problem & harder for tech support to fob you off, as their existing explanation will no longer be ‘valid’.

Honestly it’s not worth getting so worked up or losing sleep over it, or expending this much effort over this. Honestly, how many times are you planning to watch it in the next 1-3 months that it absolutely, can’t live without it, must be 4K HDR that it needs fixing yesterday? Once? Maybe twice.

Just live with it until the global emergency is over...or buy a UHD player & the UHD disc.

:)

Dude, just leave it until the pandemic is over & things start going back to normal.
Once that happens & the bitrate/bandwidth restrictions are dropped from Disney+ and IF it’s still only displaying in HD, then it’ll be easier to explain the problem & harder for tech support to fob you off, as their existing explanation will no longer be ‘valid’.

Honestly it’s not worth getting so worked up or losing sleep over it, or expending this much effort over this. Honestly, how many times are you planning to watch it in the next 1-3 months that it absolutely, can’t live without it, must be 4K HDR that it needs fixing yesterday? Once? Maybe twice.

Just live with it until the global emergency is over...or buy a UHD player & the UHD disc.

:)

Hand on heart agree with 1 trillion %.

There are some who find simple easy solutions/answers to simple easy problems difficult.

LoL, I'm not worked up or losing sleep over this, it's caused me no stress at all and has been no effort apart from writing a couple of emails. Maybe my posts have come across a bit more serious and grumpy than intended. I've been furloughed from work so have totally free days which gives me plenty of time to email Disney+. If I was working as usual, I won't have contacted them in the first place. Already have a UHD player and a few hundred discs. :)

My only intention in the first place was to flag up to Disney+ that these two films had lost their UHD stream and it needed to be looked at. That's all.

But I do agree with you're sentiments that we're not going to get a answer out of Disney as they are using the virus pandemic to brush aside any technical queries from customers.

Actually they have sent me a further email that clarifies what has happened. This is it below in italics:

Thank you for your response.

we are proactively instituting measures to lower our overall bandwidth utilization.

In some cases the content maybe seem as content that does not have 4k availability or that it has been removed.

The system is already overloaded around Europe and that is why the procedure it has been done gradually.

So basically, they are saying that they have downgraded certain movies, namely Toy Story 2 and Finding Nemo to HD during the pandemic. If they had just said that in the first place there would have been no need for anyone to contact them further. A single answer to a simple question. It's a cobblers answer as ISPs in the UK have said repeatedly that they are running well under capacity but it's a definitive answer none the less.

Once the crisis is over and streaming services are running at full bandwidth again, and they can't use it as an excuse anymore, I will contact them again.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom