Disney+ UK launch now 24th March - news discussion

Good news. I think this has been done really well - great content from day 1 (4K + Atmos for most of the Marevel & Star Wars, plus great new shows like Madelorian) at a reasonable price.

This for me is a day 1 signup,

Why couldn't the thread that already has 4 pages worth of comments on it just get updated rather than yet another post which dilutes the conversation even more....

wonder how many will sign up for this and drop netflix?

I said it on another thread, I doubt Disney+ will be a sole subscription for most people. It will be their second or third (behind Netflix and Prime) Its currently far too limited to provide a full TV viewing service for most.

Last edited:
I think most people who’ve dropped their Sky satellite subscriptions are happy with two monthly streaming subscriptions; they’ll tolerate 3, but won’t entertain 4. For most people the choices will be:

NetFlix
Amazon Prime
Apple TV
Disney+

Apple are now pushing their TV service via other platforms, but currently their service predominantly appeals to people who are already invested in the Apple ecosystem.

YouTube is pushing into TV delivery in the US too. Particularly local TV - far fewer homes in the US have a TV antenna, as cable has always been more dominant.

For people who are into sport, the situation is far more complicated and expensive. In the future I expect people will subscribe to a particular sport, or even a particular team.

Disney’s initial price seems very good. I’m going to add Disney+ to my NetFlix and Amazon Prime subscriptions. But that’s absolutely it - and I’ll monitor ‘silent’ price increases carefully.

While NetFlix and Amazon continue to invest in very high quality programming, I wouldn’t expect many subscribers to drop these services in favour of Disney+.

Regards,
James.

how would actually access the service on your tv. will options be added to roku sticks etc?

I would expect to see the app appear for LG Samsung and Sony Android TVs back to 2017 - dont know about 2016 or earlier or Panasonic or other brands. There's always the option of Firestick 4K or Roku which also have the ATV app, and the ATV 4K if youre happy to stretch that far.

It's a reasonable price. I've held off on watching any Mandalorian streams so will perhaps check it out for the first month and see what else they have on offer. Suspect it'll appeal more to my kids than me but happy to try it and see what the content library looks like.

Amazon Prime, Disney+, Netflix, YouTube and BBC iPlayer are the services i'm interested in. Which box should I be looking at to give me those in the best quality each service has to offer or is it still the case that there is no service agnostic box that does them all in the best quality each service can provide?

Another fudging sub.. i take it there will be a Free Month/day to make up your mind to add it to ..Sky ,BT,VM , Prime, Netflix, Apple tv +,Premier Sports.. you need a lottery win to pay for it all.

Amazon Prime, Disney+, Netflix, YouTube and BBC iPlayer are the services i'm interested in. Which box should I be looking at to give me those in the best quality each service has to offer or is it still the case that there is no service agnostic box that does them all in the best quality each service can provide?

No single device supports absolutely every service, sound codec or HDR format... there are always some compromises.

However, all those services (and Apple TV) are (or will be) available on the Amazon Fire TV 4K stick.
You can also get the following native apps : ITV Hub, Channel 4, Channel 5, UKTV Play, and YouTube + lots of other less well known services.

All recent versions of the Amazon Fire TV stick support native frame rate, but the NetFlix Apps does't support it. You'll get DolbyVision via the Amazon TV Stick on Amazon Prime & NetFlix. You'll get Dolby Atmos (via a Dolby Digital Plus stream) from Amazon Prime. NetFlix supports DolbyAtmos, but not on the Fire TV Stick (even though the device supports it).

The Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K is a very cost effective solution at £49.99 (there are frequent sales promotions too).

Regards,
James.

No single device supports absolutely every service, sound codec or HDR format... there are always some compromises.

However, all those services (and Apple TV) are (or will be) available on the Amazon Fire TV 4K stick.
You can also get the following native apps : ITV Hub, Channel 4, Channel 5, UKTV Play, and YouTube + lots of other less well known services.

All recent versions of the Amazon Fire TV stick support native frame rate, but the NetFlix Apps does't support it. You'll get DolbyVision via the Amazon TV Stick on Amazon Prime & NetFlix. You'll get Dolby Atmos (via a Dolby Digital Plus stream) from Amazon Prime. NetFlix supports DolbyAtmos, but not on the Fire TV Stick (even though the device supports it).

The Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K is a very cost effective solution at £49.99 (there are frequent sales promotions too).

Regards,
James.
Really nicely described.

I'm sort of hoping that when the PS5 launches later in the year it includes netflix, prime and disney+ apps with all of the sound codecs and HDR formats (unlike the PS4 pro).

Regards,
James.
You missed out that Apple tv+ programs are in HD on Fire tv..

Regards,
James.

To add to the detail above from James:

Apple TV content in HDR10 rather than Dolby Vision on Fire TV Stick. There is also no NowTV should you want to watch anything there.
Conversely, Apple TV 4k doesn't have HLG or support Now TV Boost at present (supposed app update on the way).
Roku Stick 4K also a contender but no Dolby Vision.

As said, no perfect solution right now but all depends on your own use case/preferences.

To add to the detail above from James:

Apple TV content in HDR10 rather than Dolby Vision on Fire TV Stick. There is also no NowTV should you want to watch anything there.
Conversely, Apple TV 4k doesn't have HLG or support Now TV Boost at present (supposed app update on the way).
Roku Stick 4K also a contender but no Dolby Vision.

As said, no perfect solution right now but all depends on your own use case/preferences.
As i wrote Apple TV+ was initially in HDR now on my 4KFirestick and the latest Firetv cube it's HD ..purchased Films are in HDR but shows are HD.

I think most people who’ve dropped their Sky satellite subscriptions are happy with two monthly streaming subscriptions; they’ll tolerate 3, but won’t entertain 4. For most people the choices will be:

NetFlix
Amazon Prime
Apple TV
Disney+

Apple are now pushing their TV service via other platforms, but currently their service predominantly appeals to people who are already invested in the Apple ecosystem.

YouTube is pushing into TV delivery in the US too. Particularly local TV - far fewer homes in the US have a TV antenna, as cable has always been more dominant.

For people who are into sport, the situation is far more complicated and expensive. In the future I expect people will subscribe to a particular sport, or even a particular team.

Disney’s initial price seems very good. I’m going to add Disney+ to my NetFlix and Amazon Prime subscriptions. But that’s absolutely it - and I’ll monitor ‘silent’ price increases carefully.

While NetFlix and Amazon continue to invest in very high quality programming, I wouldn’t expect many subscribers to drop these services in favour of Disney+.

Regards,
James.

I agree with most of this. But unless the kids revolt, I may drop Netflix and Disney interchangeably.

I'm not planning to get rid of Prime anytime soon, simply due to parcels. It would have been the first to go otherwise, but recently Prime has actually been my favourite, due to Jack Ryan, Bourne (not watched yet but its right up my street), James May in Japan and I'm looking forward to the Tolkien show.

The cost of all these different services is one thing but for me it's also finding the time.
They need to make days a bit longer as right now there is more than I can physically watch!
Disney plus though is fantastic, watching old movies on there as a family is great and the Mandalorian is superbly made.
Star wars, marvel, pixar and tonnes of Disney content. Well worth a launch day subscription.

The app is already available on some LG tvs. For my B8, I just changed the TV location to Netherlands installed it then switched back to UK again. A VPN is then required to watch content for now.

LG told me that the Apple app. is still being developed. No ETA at present though. As for D+, I suppose that here in the UK it will be available on launch day.

Clem

Not me
I’ve watched so many good Netflix series to even think about doing that
I’d more likely drop tidal or Spotify

Something I've never understood is the seemingly endless whinging about how many subscription services there are and how much it costs to have them all. Why on earth do you need access to all of them, all the time? It's not like we've gone back to the days of broadcast TV where if you missed something you'd missed it for years! Sign up to one, watch what you want from its catalogue, cancel the sub and move on to the next. If there's a particular service or services you use a lot then keep it around and juggle the rest.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom