Distribution systems

Graham R

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here
Was wondering what the right thread was for a question on a sat/tv/fm distribution system in fact is this the right forum for such a question?
Apologies to all if it isn't.

Try this section

Well the questions was simply about using a Triax 103T modulator to get an RF2 outlet to feed via an uplink a distribution amp in the loft.
There is only 1 HDMI input to be fed from an HDMI source and in my case I have 2 sources :FreeSat box and Blu Ray player.
Would I be right in thinking that is not possible to be able to watch Blu Ray on a remote tv whilst watching satellite tv on the local tv i.e. 1 modulator for 1 HDMI source.
To change from Blu Ray to Sat or vice versa I would have to unplug source 1 and then plug in source 2 on the HDMI input on the modulator. Is it possible to use an HDMI switch in circuit here to make this task a little easier to accomplish?
The only way to overcome this I think would be to buy 2 modulators, 1 for each source or a multiple HDMI input modulator then combine the 2 RF2 outputs into 1 to feed up to the distribution amp up in loft and then out to the remote tv's, an expensive job either way.........................
I would appreciate any comments.

Try this section
:confused:Home Cinema and Buying?
Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders is the probably a more appropriate area - Freeview or Satellite sub forums are where these type of threads come up most.
The answers are probably already there.

Well the questions was simply about using a Triax 103T modulator to get an RF2 outlet to feed via an uplink a distribution amp in the loft.
There is only 1 HDMI input to be fed from an HDMI source and in my case I have 2 sources :FreeSat box and Blu Ray player.
Would I be right in thinking that is not possible to be able to watch Blu Ray on a remote tv whilst watching satellite tv on the local tv i.e. 1 modulator for 1 HDMI source.
To change from Blu Ray to Sat or vice versa I would have to unplug source 1 and then plug in source 2 on the HDMI input on the modulator. Is it possible to use an HDMI switch in circuit here to make this task a little easier to accomplish?
The only way to overcome this I think would be to buy 2 modulators, 1 for each source or a multiple HDMI input modulator then combine the 2 RF2 outputs into 1 to feed up to the distribution amp up in loft and then out to the remote tv's, an expensive job either way.........................
I would appreciate any comments.
Have you already purchased the modulator? But download and :rtfm:

The source (say SAT for convenience) -> modulator -> main TV is via hdmi pass-through (modulator has an IN and an OUT).
So main TV by hdmi as usual.
Remote TVs tune in to the sat box output via RF (DVB-T/T2 with h264 decoders).
BluRay can be watched on main TV no probs but not remotely

Hdmi switch matrix could be used to feed both to both boxes (2 input to either or both of 2 outputs). But proper matrix switches are more expensive than simple splitter-switches which will feed any one input selected to all outputs. e.g a random(ish) 4 input two output matrix https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg08418/switch-hdmi-matrix-4-to-2/dp/CS18882?st=hdmi matrix so not a recommendation.

2 hdmi splitters to feed devices to main TV and then to a 2 in one out switch for the modulator might be cheaper, but not as 'elegant' bein 3 boxes and psus vs one?

AV amp with independent 2 zone hdmi out another (zone 2 being the modulator) could also work?

It would be either sat or bluray, of course via the modulator with any of those solutions, above.

Two RF modulators, combined using a splitter in reverse, using two RF channels will allow either location to watch either source via RF and the main TV still has hdmi passthrough.
You can get two input modulators (so only one frequency to carry both the sat and bluray) e.g. https://cpc.farnell.com/labgear/em7992/dual-input-digital-encoder-modulator/dp/AP03270 but that particular one doesn't seem to do hdmi pass-through.

Another issue is that these modulators can only cope with stereo out from attached boxes. So no 5.1 or better in the main room if you have that now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom