(DIY) Subwoofer Setup using REW

@shodan the mains only measurement is funky, you need some smoothing for starters but once you smooth then it will look something like

upload_2018-4-28_10-54-23.png

what mic are you using and how are you using it?

@shodan the mains only measurement is funky, you need some smoothing for starters but once you smooth then it will look something like

View attachment 1010211

what mic are you using and how are you using it?
Thanks mate, I'm using an SPL meter (radio shack style) which had been calibrated through REW. Which smoothing should I choose?

OK that explains it, the RS spl meter cannot be used above maybe 500Hz
Eh what? You mean all my scans over 500hz are worthless and completely inaccurate? Not that I care much about anything over 500hz..

that's correct, you need a proper mic for measuring full range. Stick to the sub + mains integration range when using the RS meter.
And can you explain to me about measuring with one speaker at a time and one speaker and the sub? I take it I have to unplug one of the speakers? Can't see anywhere where to send the single to one speaker only...
Why do this, what is the benefit? Cheers!

You measure one speaker at a time because you are seeking to optimise the response of that one speaker at a time. Measuring sub and main together is to verify how crossover is behaving.

You measure one speaker at a time because you are seeking to optimise the response of that one speaker at a time. Measuring sub and main together is to verify how crossover is behaving.
Ok I'm going to re-read that a few times...

Ok I'm going to re-read that a few times...
I have noticed that the crossover doesn't seem to work! i.e. it's set for 80hz and it's still outputting below that from the main speakers...

I have noticed that the crossover doesn't seem to work! i.e. it's set for 80hz and it's still outputting below that from the main speakers...

It's not a brickwall filter so the frequency won't just stop at 80hz. It's a crossover point so there will be bass below this rolling off at a set db per octave depending on the type of crossover E.g 12db, 24db etc etc. The diagram in the link below under Crossover Rolloff shows the different slopes. It refers to car audio but it's the same principle.

Crossover Slope

1st go with few and umk, just 1 sub, #2 driver should be with me tomorrow
1st measure
1subspl.jpg
1subpicwater.jpg

EQ with minidsp2x4HD
1eqspl.jpg
1eqwater.jpg

Not sure how this looks, lot to learn!

Also to add to the above, i ran audyssey yesterday, today i installed all the acoustic panels and havn't re ran audyssey yet, no biggie just getting to grips with it all. Once 2nd sub is in I can do it all properly.

When configuring dual subs are measurements taken individually or together? What I can't seem to find, I use the UMK-1, do i place in the MLP and point it forwards? And which calibration file is used?

it really depends how you intend to configure them, you may need to measure them separately and together or just together only.

Mic is usually placed facing upwards and use a 90 degree calibration file however it makes no real difference for subs (orientation strongly affects high frequencies not low)

it really depends how you intend to configure them, you may need to measure them separately and together or just together only.

Mic is usually placed facing upwards and use a 90 degree calibration file however it makes no real difference for subs (orientation strongly affects high frequencies not low)

Thanks Matt, suppose I need to measure all scenarios and see which works/sounds best.

Hey, wow this is a bit of a steep learning curve for me, just got my UMIK, followed the setup instructions for the Mac. I have a few measurements but I’m really struggling to understand how to read them and use the software. Can anyone shed any light on these and how I might improve on it?
The bottom image is with audyssey flat no eq on the inuke, seems to be the best out of the three options?
C1D76BF4-8343-4945-BAF2-2120E57889E2.jpeg

EE7BC4E0-C4E1-49BE-94CC-C45077D47D01.jpeg

Last edited:
@Conrad. hes the man!
youll need the mdat file? So if you save them Files...is it just subs you want to do?

check this thread loads of good stuff!

Last edited:
Hi topmetom are you replying to me? I am reading stuff all over the place, I’m finding it quite hard to make sense of it at the moment. Just looking at a single sub currently hoping to add another in a couple of weeks.

Hi topmetom are you replying to me? I am reading stuff all over the place, I’m finding it quite hard to make sense of it at the moment. Just looking at a single sub currently hoping to add another in a couple of weeks.

Hey. If you want to post up your MDAT file (stick it in dropbox or google drive or something and share the link) I'll gladly take a look.

Ideal first measurements are (all with any EQ turned off):
- sub alone, measured on the R channel using L as a timing reference with the R speaker disconnected (this gives you sub alone, with the crossover engaged)
- Left alone, no sub but with the crossover engaged (so just turn the sub off) using L as a timing reference
- Right alone, no sub but with crossover engaged (so leave the sub off) using L as a timing reference

That'll give me a good place to see what delays you need to integrate the sub well.

Also, the camera icon at the top left of the main window in REW exports the chart as an image, much easier than taking photos.

Hey. If you want to post up your MDAT file (stick it in dropbox or google drive or something and share the link) I'll gladly take a look.

Ideal first measurements are (all with any EQ turned off):
- sub alone, measured on the R channel using L as a timing reference with the R speaker disconnected (this gives you sub alone, with the crossover engaged)
- Left alone, no sub but with the crossover engaged (so just turn the sub off) using L as a timing reference
- Right alone, no sub but with crossover engaged (so leave the sub off) using L as a timing reference

That'll give me a good place to see what delays you need to integrate the sub well.

Also, the camera icon at the top left of the main window in REW exports the chart as an image, much easier than taking photos.
Hey Conrad, great thanks! Ringnut was kind enough to get me setup with some basics earlier and i think it is already a bit better. I will do these steps requested and post them up soon 👍🏻

What is an mdat file? I am using rew on a Mac.
Hi @Conrad. hopefully I have taken the measurements correctly as requested and put them in my Dropbox. I am new to Dropbox so I’m not sure what exactly you need to access them?
Thanks for your help very kind of you!
Cheers Daniel.

Ps. Now looking at the graphs individually I think I may know why I have that larger dip @100hz on the left but don’t on the right. My baffle wall is incomplete as I haven’t finished my second sub yet, that is leaving a 600X1800mm gap that the right side doesn’t have, possible?
Other details that may be useful. Crossover set to 80hz in marantz sr6012.
Low pass filter for LFE set to 120hz in marantz.
Inuke 6000d using basic mini Marty settings from avs. 15 inch dayton ultimax woofer.
Audyssey off and no eq in inuke.
Oops forgot the timing reference, hopefully now sorted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the files, and sorry for the delay, I don't tend to spend much time in this forum (DIY's not a rabbit hole I want to fall in to!).

The measurements are good. The hole in the left speaker will be a reflection somewhere in the room, probably off the wall behind the seating position.

To be honest the Audysssey line looks great, is there anything that's not giving you that you feel you're missing?

The only thing I'm worried about is the big hole at 40Hz in your sub measurement that Audyssey is able to fill. Timing changes don't seem to have any impact on that, it's too far away from the crossover point. You can fill it in REW but it takes a 12dB boost, which is a lot, especially at 40Hz.

Are you able to see what Audyssey has done, does it show you its changes?

Thanks for the files, and sorry for the delay, I don't tend to spend much time in this forum (DIY's not a rabbit hole I want to fall in to!).

The measurements are good. The hole in the left speaker will be a reflection somewhere in the room, probably off the wall behind the seating position.

To be honest the Audysssey line looks great, is there anything that's not giving you that you feel you're missing?

The only thing I'm worried about is the big hole at 40Hz in your sub measurement that Audyssey is able to fill. Timing changes don't seem to have any impact on that, it's too far away from the crossover point. You can fill it in REW but it takes a 12dB boost, which is a lot, especially at 40Hz.

Are you able to see what Audyssey has done, does it show you its changes?
Hey Conrad, thanks for the reply! Sorry it’s been sometime, i got a little burnt out. I have my second Dayton turning up tomorrow so by the end of the day i will have two subs up and running! Be interesting to see if the second one fills the 40hz dip. Interestingly enough the left speaker faces the door which is the entrance to the room, one of the only surfaces that is flat and without treatment...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom