(DIY) Subwoofer Setup using REW

So here is my latest file:

Jenz new MDat to review

In this file are:
Measurements with Audyssey On and @mb3195 Minidsp Filter above added to the Minidsp and Sub output.

You can see a Sub Only Measurement with this Filter comparison below:
mb3195 filter sub comparison.jpg

Much smoother and flat with the filter applied.

The file also contains L,R,C, only no Sub measurements.

It also contains L,R,C and Sub combined measurements at 80,90,100,110,120 Crossovers.

I have not altered any SPL levels in my AVR yet so Audyssey is setting my speakers as this:
IMG_0109.jpg

When I do SPL them in REW at MLP Centre is -3DB below the mains and the Sub is about -3DB down also....

Thoughts and improvements welcome as is a view on which Crossovers are best?

So here is my latest file:

Jenz new MDat to review

In this file are:
Measurements with Audyssey On and @mb3195 Minidsp Filter above added to the Minidsp and Sub output.

You can see a Sub Only Measurement with this Filter comparison below:
View attachment 1340640

Much smoother and flat with the filter applied.

The file also contains L,R,C, only no Sub measurements.

It also contains L,R,C and Sub combined measurements at 80,90,100,110,120 Crossovers.

I have not altered any SPL levels in my AVR yet so Audyssey is setting my speakers as this:
View attachment 1340642

When I do SPL them in REW at MLP Centre is -3DB below the mains and the Sub is about -3DB down also....

Thoughts and improvements welcome as is a view on which Crossovers are best?

110hz actually looks really good with no adjustment required for time alignment - this applied to all of you LCR.

Without seeing the rest of your measurement I can't be sure, but I think you need to bump up the sub trim by around 3db.

I'd have a listen at 100hz and 110hz. I dont think the bass will be too localised as your sub is at the front, so think 110hz should work fine for you. It certainly will if you get your pair of subs under your L and R speaker which I know is something you are looking at.

With 1/12 smoothing applied, this is what it looks like:

LCR 110hz.jpg

to help my and others understanding, can you comment on what you looked for across the measurements to determine why you think 110 is best?

to help my and others understanding, can you comment on what you looked for across the measurements to determine why you think 110 is best?

this gave the smoothest/flattest response over the crossover with less dips.

Higher crossovers are not usually recommended as anything above 80hz can theoretically be located, so can sound like it is coming from the wrong place.

However, from my experience, anything below 120hz is usually fine, and with your subs at the front, you are less likely to notice any localisation.

Have a listen for yourself and report back what sounds best, as that is the aim, you don’t listen looking at a graph, but I’d fee confident you’ll hear an improvement to what you started out with a week ago.

So the Dual Arendal 1961 1s's are in and I've done some sweeps :clap:

arendals.jpg

This is my new Mdat:

Jenz Arendal Dual Mdat

Would you take a look guys and see what can be improved, anything wrong etc etc?

The Subs are at 1/4 and 3/4 on the front wall. Audyssey is on, 80Hz XO on L+R+C.
Subs are Ref Level, -6DB Input Gain, Low Filter Bypassed, Number of Subs 2 (an arendal setting on each sub). MiniDsp 2x4HD in chain, no PEQ, no Delay, but a -1.9db gain reduction on input was needed to get it into the Audyssey volume range.

So the Dual Arendal 1961 1s's are in and I've done some sweeps :clap:

View attachment 1343606
This is my new Mdat:

Jenz Arendal Dual Mdat

Would you take a look guys and see what can be improved, anything wrong etc etc?

The Subs are at 1/4 and 3/4 on the front wall. Audyssey is on, 80Hz XO on L+R+C.
Subs are Ref Level, -6DB Input Gain, Low Filter Bypassed, Number of Subs 2 (an arendal setting on each sub). MiniDsp 2x4HD in chain, no PEQ, no Delay, but a -1.9db gain reduction on input was needed to get it into the Audyssey volume range.

Can you do the normal.

Subs with L, C and R.

L, C and R with no subs.

Also do sub 1 only
Sub 2 only

Can you do the normal.

Subs with L, C and R.

L, C and R with no subs.

Also do sub 1 only
Sub 2 only
Thanks @mb3195 but am a little confused because that's what I think the file has? Or do you mean with Audyssey off (these are with Audyssey on).

Thanks @mb3195 but am a little confused because that's what I think the file has? Or do you mean with Audyssey off (these are with Audyssey on).

Oh, didn’t realise, checking from my phone. I’ll have a look shortly....

It's good, tight and clean and sounds great but it doesn't have the slam or punch I'm expecting yet. Suspect that the subs are set to low. I put on John Wick Nightclub scene and it's not there yet :rotfl:

Over the last few days and weeks I've been given extensive help on my Subwoofer calibration and alignment. I'm particularly thankful for all the help given by @mb3195 (way to much help! :D), @Conrad. and @Ringnut . Members who help like this make this Forum a great place to be.

Whilst going down this rabbit hole has lots of challenges with learning, some of which seems a black art, the results are well worth while.

This is the initial position in my room:
original starting point.jpg

Then following optimisation:
Final Sub Results.jpg

This is an averaged Sum of the results:
before after.jpg

It sounds night and day better, tight, fast focused bass, that fits with the Mains in a much better way. Oodles of "Chest Slam" that is making me smile from ear to ear (John Wick NightClub, The Accountant Pumpkins, and Underwater opening scenes).

Still much learning to be done as interpreting the Sweeps and making the right changes are my main questions at the moment to unravel this voodoo :rotfl:

But I wanted to put this in a post to encourage people with very real results, in a very small room. Thanks Guys.

Over the last few days and weeks I've been given extensive help on my Subwoofer calibration and alignment. I'm particularly thankful for all the help given by @mb3195 (way to much help! :D), @Conrad. and @Ringnut . Members who help like this make this Forum a great place to be.

Whilst going down this rabbit hole has lots of challenges with learning, some of which seems a black art, the results are well worth while.

This is the initial position in my room:
View attachment 1343798

Then following optimisation:
View attachment 1343801
This is an averaged Sum of the results:
View attachment 1343802
It sounds night and day better, tight, fast focused bass, that fits with the Mains in a much better way. Oodles of "Chest Slam" that is making me smile from ear to ear (John Wick NightClub, The Accountant Pumpkins, and Underwater opening scenes).

Still much learning to be done as interpreting the Sweeps and making the right changes are my main questions at the moment to unravel this voodoo :rotfl:

But I wanted to put this in a post to encourage people with very real results, in a very small room. Thanks Guys.

You’re welcome mate. Looks like those new 1961s go pretty low, lower than my 4 1723 I have at the moment, makes me want the new ones even more, just need to wait for them to be released!!! 😎

Hey all,

Long time no see!

I need to get REW onto this new Mac (running Mojave 10.14) but...

- the REW site (REW room acoustics and audio device measurement and analysis ) says "For 10.14 Mojave use the latest V5.20 beta version from AV Nirvana"

and

- that AV Nirvana site says "You Must Login or Register to Download"

I'd rather not join another site to get a one-off download, so would the 5.19 version (on the REW page) still work correctly / adequately??

Many thanks in advance! :)

There has been huge improvements to REW between 5.19 and 5.20. It's well worth the upgrade. 5.19 works well for measurements of course, and I believe the EQ engine is the same. 20 is faster and has more functionality.

Thanks, Conrad!

Will have a play when everything is up and running :)

E9053A6F-5E6A-4800-917D-C4AEFFCDDA43.jpeg
hi, complete novice to all this. Just setup my minidsp 2x4 hd with my two xtz subs, REW is completely new to me, how does this look after following YouTube videos. Have not got a clue with what I should be aiming for, need to find a dummies guide

Last edited:
Will look through the pdf posted and follow that. Does this look ok as a starting point for both my subs before I start again

17C0C5A0-7BD3-4E2A-BCA1-305EAAE353E6.jpeg

Ok tried the PDF document and then got completely lost about a 1/3 of the way in. I have not got a clue what I am doing regarding my subs and minidsp. Is there anyone local to me in Beverley, East Yorkshire who can help me out or even remotely if I can say do a screen share of the computer. I would say I am losing my hair but that’s already gone 😩

ok will have another attempt at this today and Monday, this is the base REW file I have, any help in setting EQ

Ok I think I am being really dumb. I just want to use the minidsp just for my subs to align them. The REW I posted can be ignored as I think that’s my from and left speakers. Just tried again an noticed test tones are coming from my speakers and not my subs. Just unplugged L and R speaker out and can’t get any tones from subs. If I use internal test tone on Arcam I do get a response from the subs. Please what am I doing wrong. Help greatly appreciated

There's another REW thread outside the DIY section that might have a lot more info in it, but let's see if we can get you sorted.

A few things to check. You need to install FlexAsio and set windows into multi channel out mode.
Make sure all upmixing modes are off on the processor.

Once you have that, go to preferences. There should be a dropdown on the left that has Java and ASIO in it, choose ASIO. Select flexasio as the output and open the flexasio control panel, choose the reciever as the output, then you should see all the channls become available in the output dropdown.

You should then be able to send a test tone to the LFE channel which should get the subs moving.

Let me know if that works. I can send over some screenshots if that's not clear. PM me or reply here.

A big massive thank you to @Conrad for helping out with REW and my minidsp. Got there in the end and very happy with the results. Next tinkering will be once my hoverboss is built. My subs have never sounded so good.

Anyone know if I can use my Anthem ARC mic for REW, or does it specifically need to be the UMIK-1?

I dont think the anthem will work, im not sure tbh

The mics look very similar, The PBK also come with its own calibration file, that's why I was thinking it might do a similar job :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom