adityakapadia

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is my first post here at AVForums!!
Need some help with a home cinema setup. I'm Planing to use the following components and was wondering if i need to use a power amp for the same or not.
The Equipment -
1) Pioneer SC-LX89 (AVR)
2) Definitive Technology RCS-II LCR (L + C + R = 3Total)
3) Definitive Technology RSS-II Surround (Lx2 + Rx2 = 4Total)
4) Definitive Technology ProSub 1000 (2Total)

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You :)

It will not hurt if you do add one, it depends if you listen to high levels? I do believe a pa makes a bigger impact on the sound given, but more at higher levels.

@Steven1210 Thank you Steven .. That makes it pretty clear :)
Quick question-
I'm planning to power the front channel from the avr
And the surround channel with a parasound zonemaster 450.
you think that should be ok?

Or should I use parasound halo a31 for the front channel
And parasound a23 for the surround?

Use the AVR to power the surrounds.

@Hixs So you're saying I shouldn't use a powe amp at all?
Or are you saying I should use the avr for surrounds and power amp for front channel?

Power amp for the fronts. Surrounds don't really need any extra grunt.

Power amp for the surrounds does come into play depending on the size of your system and surround speakers used!! But in the op's case they should be fine with the avr's internal power output , especially now the fronts will be powered via an external source .

Adding a power amp isn't just about playing at high volumes. It's better dynamics and much more headroom across the system, not to mention delivering the power your speakers really need, when they need it.

Taking the fronts out of the equation will mean the avr will have a lot more power reserves for the rears, since most avrs have one transformer for all the channels and most of the sound comes out of the fronts. So you might even get a small upgrade in performance from your rears by using a power amp for the fronts

Assuming you are starting out, NO you don't need a power amp. Later on you may find adding a power amp offers an upgrade in sound quality, but most you don't NEED a power amp unless you have problems with the AVR driving your speakers.

thank you guys!!!!
great help!!!
decided to not use a power amp at all for now..... will add later if needed !!

Thanks again :)

A good decision :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom