Question Do I need to change my subwoofer ?

muntos

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

my actual setup has a SVS SB-1000 subwoofer in a room with dimensions 16ft x 12 ft (~ 4.7m x 3.5m).
I'm considering to upgrade it to a SVS SB-2000 PRO or SVS SB-3000 but only if there is a gain in the quality of the whole movie watching experience.
I live in a flat so I don't want to go louder, shake the walls, to make things vibrate in the room, or to drive crazy the neighbors :D , for this I consider the SB-1000 more than enough.
I know that SB-2000 or SB-3000 can go much lower in frequency and also they have additional features like Parametric Equalizer, Room Gain Compensation but will I benefit from all these given my room size and the desire not to go louder but go better ?
I have little to none experience in listening various systems , so I don't know, for example, how it feels a sub that can hit only 22hz vs one that can go 17 or even lower...

Main difference is more output in the whole working range, deeper extension and what separates the 2000/3000 serie from SB1000 is also: "Roll-off slope optimized to take maximum advantage of available room gain. Expect 2-3 Hz deeper extension in small to mid-size rooms".

There is many threads on different forums about 1000 vs 2000 if you google. The latter seems to be prefered always and the difference is noticeable, but we can also assume they do push their systems good bit! In your case adding another SB1000 could be one option depending how smooth response you have now and could you place dual subwoofers optimally in your room. I have seen some professionals in the industry recommending dual subwoofers even for flats, for all size rooms cause the benefits are quite clear! Please read link below if you are not familiar:

I think for Parametric EQ you would need to measure your room response first with usb mic and free pc program (REW) and then tweak if necessary. Room gain compensation i don´t think you need it. Not sure about the other features.

There is also the "old" SB2000 for sale now going quite cheap. It misses the app, driver and amp is different aswell. But there is always chance that you regret not going for the new one.

I don`t think you would gain much going for SB3000. It`s a little beast, but in flat you would be only using small potential of it. I think the SB2000 Pro would be more than enough. Best would be if you talk with the dealer if they can let you have one for home demo / option to return if you feel the gain isn´t as noticeable with your use. That is possible in many country, not sure if in Romania.

Members who has swapped from SB1000 to SB2000 will hopefully comment more.

Hi @Gasp3621 thank you for your detailed response, I know the benefices of dual subwoofers and intend to go dual (I think I have the space for this) but first I want to upgrade the SB-1000 and later buy a second identical sub.
Funny you mentioned AVstore dealer, I think almost all my AV equipment is bought from them, great guys, very helpful and with awesome discounts!

Hi @Gasp3621 thank you for your detailed response, I know the benefices of dual subwoofers and intend to go dual (I think I have the space for this) but first I want to upgrade the SB-1000 and later buy a second identical sub.
Funny you mentioned AVstore dealer, I think almost all my AV equipment is bought from them, great guys, very helpful and with awesome discounts!

Well that is great plan! Yes i remember that dealer, you are not the only one who has got superb deals and service from them. I used that site to help one member from Romania few years ago. He bought QA speakers and Emotiva 12" vented sub for great price. :)

Another option would be Arendal`s new 1961 1S. It has basically very similar specs to SB2000 Pro and same 5year amp warranty plus great support/service. They offer 60days buy&try plus free shipping over 500€ for EU (1-5days), but returning will cost some. The amp has some nice features similar to SVS, but no app. Don`t hesitate to send email them if intrested. Arendal uses internet direct business model so the end price is bit lower. The model has side firing driver and if you would keep it such way, it´s rather narrow which may be plus.

1961 1S - 799€ = 3860RON

SB2000PRO - 4200RON (4500RON Gloss finish)

What ever you decide keep us posted cause i`m always intrested how one feels after upgrading!

Thank you again, Arendal sounds a great deal but I would prefer to stick to local dealers, mostly for my convenience :).
I will talk in the next days with the guys from the store to see what they would recommend also and I'll share everything of interest!

Thank you again, Arendal sounds a great deal but I would prefer to stick to local dealers, mostly for my convenience :).
I will talk in the next days with the guys from the store to see what they would recommend also and I'll share everything of interest!

All is good as long as you don´t come back with BOSE! ;)

n22rdjkfp5r11.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom