Question Do I really need 4 ceiling speakers?

grahamricho

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My dedicated room is 5 m X 3 m, I have TV and projector screen at one end (long end) and I sit 1m from back wall at the other.

I'm thinking of going Dolby Atmos which on paper seems I need 4 ceiling speakers, 2 above my head and 2 above front speakers.

So above my head in the 3m width of the room do I need 2 speakers? If I positioned one ceiling speaker 1m away from wall it would leave a 1 m gap in between each one, which seems a bit excessive? I normally sit in middle of settee which is nearly the width of the room.

Do you get stero effects on the ceiling speakers or is it mainly background ambience?

Do people use just one atmos speaker at each end of the room?

So in the end it would be a 6.2.2 system but each Atmos speaker at rear and front in single speaker config ?

Thanks

I would say that I have never heard of anyone centrally locating the speakers in roof but although it would not follow the Dolby Atmos guidelines, I would thing that if you are locating the speakers in the correct position. I would say that, so long as you use a stereo single speaker, it would work although I'm not 100% sure how accurate it would be as the idea of this solution is to engulf you with sound from the outer parts of the room which you would not be doing.

If you do however want to decrease the amount of speakers, why not just opt for a two Atmos speakers 5.2.2 keeping the two rear Atmos speakers as illustrated below as your seating is close to the rear of the wall and in reality, the .4 setup is designed for seating areas which are closer to the center of the room in place to those close to the rear of the room

5.1.2-overhead.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom