Do we have any Sloe Gin fans here?

You'd love it here. Had berries on trees for ages now. Got at least a dozen sloes trees growing in various hedges around the property.

Finally got around to picking some berries midweek. Been put off by the rain. Struggled a bit, must have been early this year.

Bottled last year's and started a 1.25l jar. And a sample of course :)

20191012_145322.jpg

There is a school of thought that thinks if you leave the gin over the sloes for too long, the product isn't as good. We leave ours for 6 months before decanting and then store in corked bottles for as long as necessary. (7 years is the longest so far, and that was pretty good).

Recipe:

Kilner jar, add sloes until 90% full add sugar with shaking until you can't get any more in, lather it all with cheap (Lidl, Aldi etc) gin. Top up with gin as necessary. Leave 6 months, decant, bottle, leave.

:boring::boring::boring:

Drink.:zonked:
Ooh, I'm gonna try this! Thanks 🙂

I would use something better then really cheap gin. Go something mid range like Gordons or similar because you still have to drink it...

Nice thread bump :)

My Sloe "Whisky" is currently at 4 years old !

One bottle got drunk about a year ago, still probably 5 left.
Probably should go give it a turn again :)

Nice thread bump :)

My Sloe "Whisky" is currently at 4 years old !

One bottle got drunk about a year ago, still probably 5 left.
Probably should go give it a turn again :)
4 years old??!! Wow!! That sounds delicious and lethal in equal measures!! 😮

Lost track of my batches. The good news is that I have found a 1.5 litre Kilner jar at the back of the cupboard that I had forgotten :thumbsup:

Bought a used Vinbrite wine filter on eBay. That should do a good job or clearing things up.

Lost track of my batches. The good news is that I have found a 1.5 litre Kilner jar at the back of the cupboard that I had forgotten :thumbsup:

Bought a used Vinbrite wine filter on eBay. That should do a good job or clearing things up.
I'm jealous!!

I love sloe gin. We used to pick the berries in rural east Lothian. Marvellous fat plump berries. Unfortunately we always ate them before we got home
Hepple do a sloe gin.
the Hepple gin is as good as it gets.
When the sloe gin season starts I shall Hepple away
try Hepple fine. I guarantee you will be blown away

Not sloes, orange and lemon peel. The factory I work at ran a trial and peeled a tonne of peel over left from juice extraction. This is destined for the baking industry. I saw an opportunity to try a gin infusion. The peel is slightly bitter due to the pith being in there and I'm thinking that it will need pressing when bottling due to absorbing the gin.
Quantities for scalability:
  • 140g Gin
  • 35g Peel
  • 5g Sugar.
20200212_211437.jpg

20200214_070206.jpg

20200214_065730.jpg

Attachments

• 20200214_065730.jpg
    20200214_065730.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 62
Almost forgotten this one, 16 months old.

20200301_104112.jpg

Strained off the berries.
20200301_104346.jpg

Set up the wine filter I bought used from eBay.
20200301_105206.jpg

Slow process but unattended so that's fine.
20200301_111244.jpg

Got about half way through before the filter was choked up and needed replacing.
20200301_113758.jpg

Crystal
20200301_123615.jpg

Absolutely lovely.
20200301_123635.jpg

Loving this thread :thumbsup:

A friend just got me a bottle and a sloe bush for my birthday, might be a few years before I can make my own while I wait for this little guy to grow but I can't wait after seeing all this 🤣

My Sloe Whisky is still mostly here.
5.5 years since bottling up. :)

The berries are early this year, and they are plentiful, so I'm told. My son picked these today. They are destined for the freezer as I still have last years sloe gin to bottle.

20201006_154650.jpg

I bumped into my 2019 sloe gin in the garage the other weekend. Before I realised, that it need straining like you've done hic. Hardly worth doing, with half left.

Incidentally, the hedgerows where I picked the 2018 berries (kept in the freezer), haven't given fruit to the amount of berries I've witnessed before. Perhaps it was the dry summer?

@hyperfish - early? I picked my sloes months ago! Got about 3kg in the freezer, and that was from a single bush. If I had the patience I could have an easy 20kg to process as they're are sooooo many around here.

I get bored quickly :rotfl:

@hyperfish - early? I picked my sloes months ago! Got about 3kg in the freezer, and that was from a single bush. If I had the patience I could have an easy 20kg to process as they're are sooooo many around here.

I get bored quickly :rotfl:
Your profile says you are in France. Maybe the climate is different in Yorkshire? ;)

Aye...I forget I no longer live in the land of permanent autumn :D

just acquired a large field with sloe bushes all over it picked a couple of kilos, some recipes call for sugar, others don’t, what’s best you experienced lot :)

thanks

Personal taste but I usually dissolve 4 table spoons of sugar into a little warm gin at the start, when I fill the jar with one litre. I could always add more at the end after a tasting, but I've never needed to.

I'd recommend a light hand with the sugar, as Hyper says, you can always add more.

Too much suger and you end up with alcoholic cough syrup..

I have a bottle of Sloe Gin I made years ago. As it has been chilling for so long in my drinks cupboard there was a small amount of secondary sediment on the bottom so (after sterilising everything) I have filtered it into another bottle. Nice complex taste. Very nice.

Ok I just decanted the above into bottles and tasted a spoon, tbh it tastes minging really harsh and bitter, does that mean I need more sugar please or will it improve haha
It looks nice and I strained it so not a lot of sediment went in.
image.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom