Do you support the Johnson UK-EU deal [17 October version]?

Do you support the Johnson UK-EU deal [17 October version]?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Firstly you made the suggestion that the veto isn’t required as the backstop is in effect immediately. The point is that it isn’t there at all anymore. The EU had no veto rights if NI decides they no longer want this. That is a major shift.

Happy is also a loaded word. It’s a comprise, it wasn’t a desire. What I’m happy about is that it resolves a deadlock situation. And not only that but that it also shifts the balance of power away from the EU. It’s not perfect but it is good.

Personally I think every four years is too long.

The Backstop, in its original fallback guise, isn’t there at all because it’s implemented from day one. I agree that the EU veto has been removed, and that’s clearly seen as a good thing, but the how and why also must be highlighted.

I used the term “happy” in response to the various posters here commending Johnson on his great new deal, suggesting that they are happy with it. I agree that a 4 yearly vote in Storemont is too long as well, which was why I suggested it’s kicking the can down the road for Johnson as it, in theory, no longer becomes his problem.

Last edited:
Can't be any worse that Treason MAY teabag deal...............
But it is. Trashes workers' rights & environmental protections.

But it is. Trashes workers' rights & environmental protections.

must have missed that line.....

it’s worse if you want to remain, better if you want to leave.

I guess we need the EU to make sure we have workers rights etc. Absolutely no way we would want to keep them ourselves! No no no no no!!:rolleyes:

Johnson has agreed a new deal with the EU. Do you support it?

The deal that was worse than Mays, which got rejected three times? Strong no from me.

If it's taken them 3 years to come up with that toilet paper of a deal then you have to ask is leaving a good idea? A Norway++ would have won support from most corners. It would have been a reasonable deal but I think this lot in charge and reasonable departed ways a long time ago. Thankfully we have parliament sovereignty and UK courts in place keeping this house of cards up. Next stop a GE.

The deal that was worse than Mays, which got rejected three times? Strong no from me.

If it's taken them 3 years to come up with that toilet paper of a deal then you have to ask is leaving a good idea? A Norway++ would have won support from most corners. It would have been a reasonable deal but I think this lot in charge and reasonable departed ways a long time ago. Thankfully we have parliament sovereignty and UK courts in place keeping this house of cards up. Next stop a GE.
Norway++ would not have been leaving

The Backstop, in its original fallback guise, isn’t there at all because it’s implemented from day one. I agree that the EU veto has been removed, and that’s clearly seen as a good thing, but the how and why also must be highlighted.

I used the term “happy” in response to the various posters here commending Johnson on his great new deal, suggesting that they are happy with it. I agree that a 4 yearly vote in Storemont is too long as well, which was why I suggested it’s kicking the can down the road for Johnson as it, in theory, no longer becomes his problem.
It could be that. It could also be a realistic timeframe considering the political mess NI is in. It gives them four years to get their act together and attempt to connect democratic governance. In a way NI has got its own deadlock which they need to breakthrough in order to move on and grow.

According to the Brexit party the small print in the Boris deal has numerous restrictions on how the UK can do trade with other countries which will mean we cannot be competitive, how we set our Foreign policy, Military alignment with EU army, no control of Fisheries policy, etc. etc. so as May's deal was it is Brexit it name only so I'd reject it for NO DEAL anytime.

According to the Brexit party the small print in the Boris deal has numerous restrictions on how the UK can do trade with other countries which will mean we cannot be competitive, how we set our Foreign policy, Military alignment with EU army, no control of Fisheries policy, etc. etc. so as May's deal was it is Brexit it name only so I'd reject it for NO DEAL anytime.
And can you name them those articles and clauses? Did you read them? What do you think?

Something came through yesterday in a post from a leave group. I couldn’t bare going through their other point as the first one was so easily debunked by actually reading the withdrawal agreement.

Besides most has staid as it was last year. Why didn’t you raise those points in the last 12 months? Or why didn’t Farage?

Don’t get me wrong I’m in favour to leave the EU as well. But trying to push for an un orderly exit when against the odds there is a good withdrawal agreement on the table seems madness to me.

16-17 year olds sleep around and drive dangerously.:p
Nope. They should not vote till 18
We have the notion that this is our country but we are simply passenger for a very short period. This country belongs to those 16 and 17 who in time will have to give way to the new generations. Phrases like "this youth is lost" has been said for ages and yet the youth is the one that survived and kept the world moving.

They have the longest investment of time in these decisions. I see no reason why they should not have a say in the matter. There was no experience or knowledge requirement for the referendum. Their opinion will not be any worse or better than ours (not 16-17).

We have the notion that this is our country but we are simply passenger for a very short period. This country belongs to those 16 and 17 who in time will have to give way to the new generations. Phrases like "this youth is lost" has been said for ages and yet the youth is the one that survived and kept the world moving.

They have the longest investment of time in these decisions. I see no reason why they should not have a say in the matter. There was no experience or knowledge requirement for the referendum. Their opinion will not be any worse or better than ours (not 16-17).

by that notion, should we let 10 year olds vote because they have longer on this Earth than us?Better yet, 8 year olds? Sod it, 5 year olds it is!

yet the youth is the one that survived and kept the world moving.
And look at the direction of travel......intersectional hell!

I don't Boris is planning on any deal. He play the game of the EU and Labour party screwing it up.

by that notion, should we let 10 year olds vote because they have longer on this Earth than us?Better yet, 8 year olds? Sod it, 5 year olds it is!

My daughters soon to be born baby should get the vote !

Quite clearly some of them will do a better job that some of us.

Gretta Thunberg is only 16. IMHO, She has shown more maturity and coherence than way older people.

And can you name them those articles and clauses? Did you read them? What do you think?

Something came through yesterday in a post from a leave group. I couldn’t bare going through their other point as the first one was so easily debunked by actually reading the withdrawal agreement.

Besides most has staid as it was last year. Why didn’t you raise those points in the last 12 months? Or why didn’t Farage?

Don’t get me wrong I’m in favour to leave the EU as well. But trying to push for an un orderly exit when against the odds there is a good withdrawal agreement on the table seems madness to me.

This provides a detailed breakdown of what's wrong with the Boris deal content so I'm not sure if this the list you already saw but it certainly raises major concerns in my opinion.

Good old sarcasm, to mind comes what it is said about it.

“Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence,” Oscar Wilde.

that quote?
Gretta Thunberg is only 16. IMHO, She has shown more maturity and coherence than way older people.

yep, screaming unfounded death cult claims and slogans written by someone else from a script. Amazing maturity, scaring kids. Have you seen her try to answer questions without a script? I feel immensely sorry for her, the people around her have undoubtedly set her on a path for a troubled life. This is off topic now, so happy to go into another thread if we really need to.

otherwise on to more happier topics......Brexit.

This provides a detailed breakdown of what's wrong with the Boris deal content so I'm not sure if this the list you already saw but it certainly raises major concerns in my opinion.
Load of nonsense. And actually out of date.

For example.

Point 1 is incorrect. We are under the ecj till the end of transition, and then for citizens rights only for 10 years.

Point 2 is incorrect, it is £33bn

Point 3 confuses a couple of things. Yes it's just a withdrawal deal. But no, it doesn't prevent us dropping non tariff barriers elsewhere after transition is up.

Point 4 is unlikely to be true, it would be useful to see a reference to how they have derived their interpretation as the text they referenced doesn't have that interpretation in it.

Point 5 is only for the transition period.

Point 6 isn't really even making a point. Pointing to the absence of language is not a reason to suspect that there will be future clauses detrimental to our interests.

Point 7 is for the transition. Saying we should cooperate in future doesn't mean giving anything away.

I think that's enough. The title of the paper EU treaty for UK colonisation gives away it's not an impartial assessment.

Yes that is the same list. And I provided a detailed response to the first point alone and lost the will to review the others considering the apparent misinformation in the first one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom