Do you think there will be a trade in deal ?

Fe_man2000

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a PS4 Pro and will keep it up until I get a PS5 so I can keep playing the games I have got and PSVR. But I was wondering if we think there will be any trade-in deals going to happe. I wasn't a launch purchaser so I cannot recall if this was a thing or not back then or if it was possible for the PS4 Pro launch. Basically I havent a clue if this has been done before.

So what you do think, possible and if so who are we talking about - GAME maybe, cannot see who else would take 2nd hand PS4's unless the deal was via Sony ?

(I am not including just ebaying it or CEX more hoping for an offical trading I think)

Last edited:
I'm sure there were trade in offers on the PS4 against the PS3 when it launched.

GAME always has trade-in deals whenever there’s a new console launch, although it’s always very poor value though - stuff like trade in PS4 with 10 games for £40 off PS5.

Mine is going upstairs into my sons room. He can just have that, was going to wrap it up for him and give it to him for Xmas but felt a bit a scrooge so as soon as the PS5 is out he can have it.

I'm already thinking about PS5 Pro, I think Sony might bring one out far quicker than they did with the PS4 Pro. I wonder how much %age-wise we'd get back in a trade in. If one was released fairly quickly the arse would fall out of the base model far sooner. I have started to rethink my buying a launch console now.

How quick do you thin a pro model would come out after launch? 2 years?

IMO, I can't see Sony releasing a Pro version. The Pro was released purely to jump on the 4K bandwagon.

There’s some ok deals with Game at the moment - £143 for slim 500gb ( store credit). But most of us will be holding onto them until launch so I bet the prices will drop right down.
I’m hoping to get a couple more games done then trade in my sons ps4 and give him my pro and I’ll just be without for a month or so

But they could advertise it as such. It also held the title of "Most Powerful Gaming Console" for a while, whatever difference that made.

Well they already had "The most powerful console" narrative with the base PS4 anyway and milked it since 2013, and who could blame them. The release of the Pro didn't change that, just pushed the bar a bit further until obviously the One X came out the following year.

Think I’ll just end up selling my PS4 Slim to fund an SSD expansion drive on PS5.

I doubt I could be cheeky and return my console to synths and make out there’s an issue with it as it’s less than a year old lol

trade in prices will be low because launch backwards compatibility means they will probably get more consoles traded in than previous generations

I think they might do a pro ps5 a couple of years down the line. wasnt there a recent patent filed which is basically two ps5 APUs put in the same machine

I think they might do a pro ps5 a couple of years down the line. wasnt there a recent patent filed which is basically two ps5 APUs put in the same machine

They will probably release a Pro with better specs that the series x, then MS will do the same just for the mantle of most powerful console in the world.

I have never really understood the whole trade in shenanigans. When I upgraded to PS4 Pro I needed my old PS4 in the same room to enable data transfer between console's. With all the talk of backwards compatability I am hoping PS4 to PS5 data transfer will be possible. Otherwise with my slow internet speeds I won't be able to use it for a few days after receiving it.

They will probably release a Pro with better specs that the series x, then MS will do the same just for the mantle of most powerful console in the world.
I really hope that's not the case. If a generation on average takes 7-years between releases, I would think we might see at least a PS5 Slim revision or two in that time, and obviously models with a larger SSD baked in. If I really believed the mid-gen upgrade would remain a thing then I would just wait.

Current-gen was a weird time as we slowly transitioned to 4K early in the generation. I think that was much to Microsoft's benefit as this gave them the oppprtunity to repair the damage they had inflicted on themselves, and basically hit the reset switch with their Xbox One X - enabling them to reposition for this next-generation, with plenty of studios now hard at work. They kind of fell flat on their face at the 11th hour with the Halo reveal, but hopefully the game will be better for its delay.

I love this shit though, even if you only stick your fingers into one pie - this thriving competition pushes value and better experiences for everyone.

Sold my PS4 at CEX today before prices plummet £104 for a 7 year old console is not bad imho, roll on November

I really hope that's not the case. If a generation on average takes 7-years between releases, I would think we might see at least a PS5 Slim revision or two in that time, and obviously models with a larger SSD baked in. If I really believed the mid-gen upgrade would remain a thing then I would just wait.

Current-gen was a weird time as we slowly transitioned to 4K early in the generation. I think that was much to Microsoft's benefit as this gave them the oppprtunity to repair the damage they had inflicted on themselves, and basically hit the reset switch with their Xbox One X - enabling them to reposition for this next-generation, with plenty of studios now hard at work. They kind of fell flat on their face at the 11th hour with the Halo reveal, but hopefully the game will be better for its delay.

I love this sh*t though, even if you only stick your fingers into one pie - this thriving competition pushes value and better experiences for everyone.

I honestly think there will be more frequent hardware refreshes ongoing, in particular on the Xbox side.

Anyone heard any whispers yet about trade in deals?

I bought my PS4 slim back in May during lockdown for £230 with Red Dead. Red dead I sold for £30 and I see atm CEX are giving £140 trade in for a slim so I’m undecided what to do.

I've just boxed both my PS4 Pro and One X up for trade in. Not being traded for the PS5 tho. Will most likely go towards a Switch for the kids. Already have a Series X ordered from Very. Game offering £140ish for each currently. Will be surprised if that goes up

I couldnt get a PS5 order but that was before the news that the two games I want are both on PS4 as well so no rush now. Stick with the Pro until next year some time, when I feel like it.

I've just boxed both my PS4 Pro and One X up for trade in. Not being traded for the PS5 tho. Will most likely go towards a Switch for the kids. Already have a Series X ordered from Very. Game offering £140ish for each currently. Will be surprised if that goes up
Hi mate, it may be worth you considering using the trade in available at Amazon for the PS4 Pro, there is a link on the PS5 page. They offered me £155 for my Pro and they say they honour the price offered for two weeks.

They send you a shipping label and you drop it off at a DPD drop off shop.

I haven’t shipped mine yet and I have no idea if they will try to haggle the value down when received.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom