Doctor Strange 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review cas, will pick this up once it goes into the offers

Thanks Cas.

The audio aspect is a strange one, I quite often find myself feeling that a non-atmos track actually sounds more atmospheric as my upmixing on my marantz is so good.

Just re-watched LA Confidential and couldn’t believe how realistic the rain sounded coming from above my head. With this in mind, I’d wager the original sound track would probably sound better in my setup than the new re-mixed one.

Happy new year mate, keep the reviews coming into the new decade.

Thanks for the review Caz. I have to say that I think the 3D disc of this was amazing, both for the 3D effect and the many IMAX sequences that looked brilliant. For that reason I can’t see me getting the 4K but for people not interested in 3D it sounds good. But why Disney’s sound issues yet again? It’s so frustrating. The old Paramount BR of Thor sounded incredible!

Off-topic (sorry!), but re. 3D, I can’t help feeling that if it had been introduced with passive 4K OLEDs, instead of years of dark / crosstalk-affected active 3D sets, it would have been far more impactful and popular than 4K. But suffering through a ghosting-filled, dreary 3D presentation of Star Wars Rise Of Skywalker at the cinema the other day I was reminded of just how poor it can be compared to an OLED.

Last edited:
Easily my least favourite Marvel title this. Charmless protagonist played by an overrated actor, silly plot that lacked imagination given the magical powers available. In the end, I was rooting for Dormammu

IMO any comparison with Inception should be made a crime

Heard this was one of the better looking Marvel (4K) releases so picked up the Australian 4K release. Looks not much better than a good bluray imo, (prior to watching this I watched 'The Neon Demon' 4K which does not have HDR and I thought 'The Neon Demon' looked better), the movie I thought was awful (started falling asleep as soon as the usual 'splosions and boring special effects started, and a dreadful (American?) accent from a usually excellent Benedict Cumberbatch was the final nail in the coffin. Already sold it.
3/10

I bought the Blu-ray several months ago watched about a third of then put it back on the shelf.

Wow, tough crowd.
It's Marvel, sh*t gets 'sploded, guys fly about in panto outfits. Rinse repeat.
I enjoyed it anyway. Thought the colour saturation of the end big baddie battle scene was as deep as I have ever seen.

7/10 on the Marvel scale for me.

As non-cartoon readers the wife and I consider this to be one of the best Marvel films. The big baddie could have probably done with being a bit more developed but it's a nice, rounded coherent story. I have little knowledge or understanding of what the magazine storylines contain but I thought the film was a great origin story and ANY film with Tilda Swinton in gets an extra point just for her.

Personally can't wait for DS 2 and a solid 8.5/10 for me.

G

As non-cartoon readers the wife and I consider this to be one of the best Marvel films. The big baddie could have probably done with being a bit more developed but it's a nice, rounded coherent story. I have little knowledge or understanding of what the magazine storylines contain but I thought the film was a great origin story and ANY film with Tilda Swinton in gets an extra point just for her.

Personally can't wait for DS 2 and a solid 8.5/10 for me.

G

I agree with this. I roughly enjoyed the movie and will be buying this when it goes in to offers

Doctor Strange is my all time favourite super hero.

That this film was almost pure Marvel formula was a bit of a disservice to the character. Only the final showdown with Dormammu was stand out and the rest was very beige.

I'm still looking forward to Multiverse of Madness and fingers crossed for some properly insane Ditko-inspired dimensional travel:

Ditko-Dimension.jpg

We really like this Movie - will have to re-dip for the 4K; regarding the Atmos, the reduced LFE doesn't effect us so much, living in an appt. with a limited (As in not massive with everything running at reference level) Atmos set-up

One of my favourite Marvel movies....I have the 3D version, so will probably wait for this to be on offer before I double dip.

leaving you unable to pause to even understand - let alone criticise - some of the marvels you'll see
Only just picked this up!
Like it! :)
Clever Boy!*
*(Movie quote - which Movie, anyone?)

One of my favourite Marvel movies....I have the 3D version, so will probably wait for this to be on offer before I double dip.
If you like your 3D I don't know why anyone would go for 4K it one of the best ever 3D films and the IMAX scenes are pure magic and the trippy scene a joy to behold.
I saw it at the pictures and thought it was so so but the 3D home viewing like watching a totally different film.

I hate to be that guy, but wasn’t it “clever girl”?
You could absolutely be right. I was too lazy to search for moment, & remembered it as I wrote, but that could equally be correct

its clever girl :)

There are a couple of excellent HDR moments in this film but I think I will end up re-watching the 3D version after I've added the Atmos track and use BEQ to recover much of the LFE.

I'm late to the party on this disc. It's fine. But there are crushed blacks right at the source, particularly noticeable in the darker scenes. Just huge blotches of shadowy, featureless nothing. For this reason, and the fact that I couldn't tell you if I was watching the 4K blu or the regular blu at a glance, I would honestly give the picture no higher than a 6. For the format it is completely unremarkable barring some unfortunate flaws.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom