Doctor Who General Thread

@brian s - I just noticed this on BBC4 this evening from 10pm ...

View attachment 1997109

(Originally broadcast Tue 16 Nov 1965)
I've just watched Waris Hussein Remembers. Excellent. I saw him at the 50th Dr Who event at Excel. I took to him there and again tonight. This time his voice reminded me so much of someone else. It took me a while but it was the former Dr Who script editor and Vinyl Detective author Andrew Cartmel.

Bri

Last edited:
chrome_screenshot_6 Feb 2024 22_57_40 GMT.png

Auction of the Daleks ...

The 'bronze' one doesn't really appear to be a genuine new Who Dalek, imo :D.

Going under the hammer around now
- I'm sure he knows it's tat, but he's still spinning the same yarn :laugh:

The fully working human-sized models, one red and one gold, will be sold at an John Rolfe Auctions in Tetbury, with a guide price of £500-£800.

"We rely on nerds," said auctioneer John Rolfe, who depended on Doctor Who fans for an idea of the estimate.

Speaking to BBC Gloucestershire, he said: "I can't pretend I know everything, no auctioneer does.

"It's the first time I've handled such a creature".
In Doctor Who, the Doctor first encountered the tank-like aliens from the planet Skaro in 1963.

"We've had lots of Doctor Who buffs, who I love," said Mr Rolfe.

"They get in touch and give me different pieces of information and I try and come up with something, but it's near enough impossible," he said.

The red Dalek may have formed part of a long-running Doctor Who exhibition at Longleat House, Wiltshire, which ran for nearly 30 years from 1974.

It is thought the gold version, equipped with a seat and controls for its weapons, may have appeared in the relaunched Doctor Who series in the early 2000s.

Mr Rolfe was unaware the Daleks were being brought in for sale until they were unloaded at his auction house from the back of a van.
"Quite an eccentric gentleman was having a clear-out.

"He had been storing the Daleks in his mother's living room and she was sick of the sight of them.

"She said they had to be gone," he added.

A jacket similar to the one worn by Colin Baker and a long scarf like the one worn by Tom Baker are also included in the collectors' sale on Sunday.

420545020_389802363631790_8969419265658633608_n.jpg

Originally aired on Radio 4 yesterday morning ...
Kirsty Young talks to the actor Peter Capaldi about what he’s learned from his life so far. Celebrated for iconic TV roles as Doctor Who and as Malcolm Tucker in The Thick Of It, Capaldi’s 40-year career also includes an Oscar in 1995 for work behind the camera. He reflects on his journey from a Glasgow tenement block, how he owes his career to a lot of luck and why early failures have made him a better actor.

If you could have a conversation with your younger self, what would you tell them? In Young Again Kirsty takes her guests back to the pivotal moments in their lives. Reflecting on what they wish they’d known at the time, and what they’ve learned along the way, she discovers the honest – and surprising – advice they’d give their younger selves.

Producer: Laura Northedge
Content Editor: Richard Hooper
Executive Editor: Alice Feinstein
Senior Technical Producer: Duncan Hannant
Presenter: Kirsty Young

A BBC Audio Production

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom