Doctor Who - Series 10

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strange time for the news to come out - so I guess it's in the papers tomorrow.

Nothing in 2016 (except Xmas special) and then series 10 in Spring 2017 (still helmed by Moffat) after which Moffat steps down to be replaced by Chris Chibnall (with his first likely to be the 2017 Christmas special):

Writer Steven Moffat to leave Doctor Who - BBC News

Definitely time to move on (although I'd suggest after the Xmas special should really be the time). I've loved a lot of what Moffat did but thought the last series was a terrible drag. IMO of course.

Last edited:
Wow. Wow again. I was waiting for news on the new series and it was becoming clear that no news on the start of series 10 meant that we were at least going to get another split series. Part of it before Christmas and part in 2017 but I didn't see that.

Bri

The BBC has confirmed that Doctor Who Showrunner Steven Moffat, is to leave the programme after Series 10.

The Corporation confirmed the news on the official Doctor Who Twitter feed, announcing that writer Chris Chibnall will take over in 2017.

Steven Moffat has been the guiding force behind Doctor Who since 2010, casting both Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi in the role of the Doctor. Series Ten will be his sixth series in charge, and the 36th in the show's long history. The 12 part swan song for the producer will be screened in the spring of 2017 meaning that only the 2016 Christmas special will be screened this year.

BBC One Controller Charlotte Moore explained the reasons for moving the series back to the spring.
I have decided to schedule Steven’s big finale series in Spring 2017 to bring the nation together for what will be a huge event on the channel. 2016 is spoilt with national moments including the Euros and Olympics and I want to hold something big back for 2017 - I promise it will be worth the wait!
The new showrunner, taking over for Series 11, will be Chris Chibnall, best known for his work on Broadchurch. Chibnall has written six episodes of Doctor Who, as well as many episodes of Torchwood, where he was Co-Producer.

Moffat talked about his feelings on leaving the show
Feels odd to be talking about leaving when I’m just starting work on the scripts for season 10, but the fact is my timey-wimey is running out. While Chris is doing his last run of Broadchurch, I’ll be finishing up on the best job in the universe and keeping the TARDIS warm for him. It took a lot of gin and tonic to talk him into this, but I am beyond delighted that one of the true stars of British Television drama will be taking the Time Lord even further into the future. At the start of season 11, Chris Chibnall will become the new showrunner of Doctor Who. And I will be thrown in a skip.
Charlotte Moore paid tribute to the outgoing showrunner
I want to thank Steven Moffat for everything he has given Doctor Who – I’ve loved working with him, he is an absolute genius and has brought fans all over the world such joy,” she added. “I will be very sad to see him leave the show but I can’t wait to see what he will deliver in his last ever series next year with a brand new companion.

I would also like to take this opportunity to welcome Chris Chibnall, a wonderfully talented writer who I know will bring something very special to the hit series.
Like his two predecessors Chris Chibnall is a life long fan of the series, even appearing on a BBC One discussion programme about the series in 1986. He talked about his love of the show
Doctor Who is the ultimate BBC programme: bold, unique, vastly entertaining, and adored all around the world. So it's a privilege and a joy to be the next curator of this funny, scary and emotional family drama. I’ve loved Doctor Who since I was four years old, and I’m relishing the thought of working with the exceptional team at BBC Wales to create new characters, creatures and worlds for the Doctor to explore. Steven’s achieved the impossible by continually expanding Doctor Who's creative ambition, while growing its global popularity. He’s been a dazzling and daring showrunner, and hearing his plans and stories for 2017, it’s clear he’ll be going out with a bang. Just to make my life difficult.
Polly Hill, BBC controller of drama commissioning, added:
Like Charlotte I would like to thank Steven for his brilliance, which has made Doctor Who a global hit under his tenure. Chris Chibnall is the perfect successor to take over the reins of this incredible show, so I am delighted that his love for Doctor Who has made it impossible for him to resist ! Chris is an incredible writer and his vision and passion for Doctor Who gives it an exciting future and promises to be a real treat for Doctor Who fans across the world.

Wow yet again. I'm delighted that Moffat is stepping down. He has down so much for this show but I think he's run his course. The last two series have felt so tired to me. As good as he was we really need a fresh approach. Chibnall wrote Dinosaurs on a Spaceship which is one of my all time favourite Who episodes. That doesn't guarantee that the next phase will be good but it's very hopeful.

Bri

Was expecting this for the last few weeks when Moff was quoted about actively seeking out his successor. It'll probably be Capaldi's final series too - three full series (+ specials) being the same for Tennant and Smith.

Was expecting this for the last few weeks when Moff was quoted about actively seeking out his successor. It'll probably be Capaldi's final series too - three full series (+ specials) being the same for Tennant and Smith.

He also said he needed to look after it until he found a worthy successor. I wasn't expecting this so quick.

I'm still confused though. Who's in charge of the next series and when do we get it?

Bri

So Moffat at the helm for this years Xmas episode and season 10 in 2017.
Then Chibnall picks up the reigns for season 11 in 2018.

I'm confident that Moffat will pull it together and go out with a bang. I do agree though that it is time for a change.

I'm sure Chris Chibnall will prove a worthy successor.

It's also further proof of BBC's commitment to the longevity of the show in securing Chibnall as showrunner.
A very solid appointment I think.

And with 2017 seemingly confirmed for a Saturday 'tea-time' slot it will be interesting to see if a more respectable set of ratings will be achieved.

And with 2017 seemingly confirmed for a Saturday 'tea-time' slot it will be interesting to see if a more respectable set of ratings will be achieved.

I don't think the poor rating were entirely down to it's ever changing time slot. It's had to contend with that before. It has come across as a very tired show these last two series. The time off may recharge everyone's batteries and that may help. I certainly hope so.

Bri

It's also further proof of BBC's commitment to the longevity of the show in securing Chibnall as showrunner.
A very solid appointment I think.

A several month delay, rather than an outright cancellation, would suggest they still have faith in the show. Given the delay I'd rather Chibnall took over for series 10. Or at least for part of it.

Bri

I think this is probably for the best (sadly - amazingly even considering how much Moffatt seemed the best for the role when he was writing only - e.g. Blink, Silence in the Library etc) when he took over producing it never reached the heights that I would have assumed it would.......surprising and disappointing.......but even with the change I am not quite convinced it will ever work properly with Peter Capaldi in the role - I just think you need the Doctor to be charming (e.g.Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davidson, David Tennant, Matt Smith) for the show to be at its best - and whilst Peter may be a good actor he's not (in character as The Doctor ) charming.....a lot will depend on the new companion

I think this is probably for the best (sadly - amazingly even considering how much Moffatt seemed the best for the role when he was writing only - e.g. Blink, Silence in the Library etc) when he took over producing it never reached the heights that I would have assumed it would.......surprising and disappointing.......but even with the change I am not quite convinced it will ever work properly with Peter Capaldi in the role - I just think you need the Doctor to be charming (e.g.Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davidson, David Tennant, Matt Smith) for the show to be at its best - and whilst Peter may be a good actor he's not (in character as The Doctor ) charming.....a lot will depend on the new companion

Unfortunately I agree with most of what you've said. Moffat has been very good at times as the show runner but he's been very poor at times. He should have left a while back. Capaldi just isn't working for me. He's a good actor but his scripts have been poor. It's hard to say whether he'd be much better if he had something decent to work with. As you say the others had a certain amount of charm, even Hartnell. Capaldi may choose to leave at the same time as Moffat.

Bri

Start taking bets now.........Peter Capaldi will exit the role final episode of season 10 or before IMO.

Brian - its seems the appropriate time now (considering your views on the last two series) for you to quote Colin Baker (change my dear, and it seems....)

I'm still confused though. Who's in charge of the next series and when do we get it?

Bri
Moff's still in charge until end of series 10, which doesn't air until spring next year ... then Chinballs presumably is in charge, possibly planning the 2017 Christmas special featuring a potential new doctor (who Capaldi might regenerate into at the end of S10)

Moff's still in charge until end of series 10, which doesn't air until spring next year ... then Chinballs presumably is in charge, possibly planning the 2017 Christmas special featuring a potential new doctor (who Capaldi might regenerate into at the end of S10)

I imagine that they may work together to an extent until the actual hand over. Chibnall will surely have to be consulted if Capaldi jumps ship early.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom