Does a Sony VPL-VW270ES projector allow 4K gaming when connected to a PC?

Animalfreeride

Standard Member
Reaction score
All,

I’ve ordered a Sony VPL-VW270ES primarily for 4K gaming however the Sony website states; ‘Computer Input Signal Maximum display resolution: 1920 x 1080 dots (HDMI Input only)’. I’m concerned this projector won’t fulfil my requirements and may need seek an alternative or an 85” TV instead.

Anyone able to comment please?

Thanks in anticipation.

P.S. I have an ASUS RTX2080 TI graphics card and 4K gaming works flawlessly when connected to my Sony 65” TV

Last edited:
It should it's a 4k projector and 27ms lag time

It should it's a 4k projector and 27ms lag time

My thoughts too but am confused by the mention of the ‘Computer Input Signal Maximum display resolution: 1920 x 1080’ in the technical specifications.

I phoned Sony Professional however they were as useful as a chocolate fireguard so am hoping a member is able to confirm first hand if they have been able to achieve 4K.

I’ve just spoken to Richer Sounds, where I ordered the projector. As always they were super helpful and have offered me the option of connecting up my PC to the exact model I’m looking to purchase. I’ll report my findings later this week but if it doesn’t work as intended, I’ll consider an 85” TV although will feel like a step down from a 110” cinematic screen :(

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've just been to Richer Sounds and linked up my PC to the VPL-VW270ES projector and can confirm it supports a 4K signal. I tried DCS World, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and Forza Horizon 4. I now have to wait another 4 weeks for delivery but will be worth the wait 🙂

Last edited:
xbox one x and all ok in 4k - although HDR works on amazon on the xbox, the games don't...

Ok guys so I’ve installed the new projector via my new Marantz SR7015 but when I try to run a resolution of 4096 x 2160 using Windows 10 it doesn’t fit the screen (it extends beyond).

I also tried connecting the HDMI lead directly to the projector and the same happens so I’ve ruled out any issues with the AV receiver.

It works fine at 3840 x 2160. Also i‘m puzzled why it shows the native resolution as 1920 x 1080 when the technical specification is 4096 x 2160?

Any thoughts or ideas please?

Update: I really wasn't happy with the projector. It was really glitchy whilst connected to my PC and the clarity of images were distinctly average. I expected a lot more from a 4K projector and was really disappointed. I guess my expectations were probably too high. Anyway Richer Sounds have been absolutely fantastic and have allowed me to swap for a Samsung QE85Q90T (85") QLED. Although I've downsized from a 110 inch projection screen, I have moved the sofa forwards and haven't really missed a larger screen. The images are razor sharp, colourful, bright and works flawlessly when connected to my PC. Microsoft Flight Simulator and DCS World look amazing. There is simply no comparison. I was worried that I would regret downsizing but far from it; I'm one very happy customer 🙂👍

Update: I really wasn't happy with the projector. It was really glitchy whilst connected to my PC and the clarity of images were distinctly average. I expected a lot more from a 4K projector and was really disappointed. I guess my expectations were probably too high. Anyway Richer Sounds have been absolutely fantastic and have allowed me to swap for a Samsung QE85Q90T (85") QLED. Although I've downsized from a 110 inch projection screen, I have moved the sofa forwards and haven't really missed a larger screen. The images are razor sharp, colourful, bright and works flawlessly when connected to my PC. Microsoft Flight Simulator and DCS World look amazing. There is simply no comparison. I was worried that I would regret downsizing but far from it; I'm one very happy customer 🙂👍

bit of a shame with the sony, probably better projectors ... but glad you have got something happy with...

yep aint perspective a great thing... tis not the size of the screen but what do with it :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom