Does anyone cut their own hair?

Dony

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I was getting my hair cut this morning and for all I have done, I reckon my wife should be able to do it. I'm not talking about styling or anything like that, just using clippers.
I've been asking for the same cut for as long as I care to remember.....2 at the back, 3 at the sides and short on top (I'm blessed with a thick head of hair ;)).

With this in mind I've just had a quick look and was surprised how cheap clippers are. The ones I've linked are the same make that my barber was using this morning.

Wahl Chrome Pro Mains Hair Clipper Set & Instructional DVD 79524-800: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

Are these any good? What do you use?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I haven't paid for a hair cut in 4 years. My partner is getting pretty handy with the clippers, although she still scares me with scissors in her hands! She has no training or experience, but results started looking good after the third attempt!

I was getting my hair cut this morning and for all I have done, I reckon my wife should be able to do it. I'm not talking about styling or anything like that, just using clippers.
I've been asking for the same cut for as long as I care to remember.....2 at the back, 3 at the sides and short on top (I'm blessed with a thick head of hair ;)).

With this in mind I've just had a quick look and was surprised how cheap clippers are. The ones I've linked are the same make that my barber was using this morning.

Wahl Chrome Pro Mains Hair Clipper Set & Instructional DVD 79524-800: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

Are these any good? What do you use?
I've been had the same type for almost 20 years. Still going strong although the cable is ready for replacing.

@Epicurus What clippers do you use?

I'm pretty sure it's these ones:

BaByliss for Men Super Hair Clipper: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

I didn't buy them but it always amazes me how she cuts my hair every 2 or 3 months and the battery has always retained its charge so must be one of the lithium-ion battery ones. They're definitely one of the Babyliss ones with all the attachments and they feel quite weighty and professional. She got a couple of pairs of scissors and some thinning scissors for finishing off.

Probably more than 10 years since I went to a barbers.
Cut it myself with clippers on no.3 every couple of weeks or so.

BTW, that wasn't a challenge True Romance , just an acknowledgement I'm half bald :D

Cut my own hair for about 10 years just number 2 all over though so pretty simple - use these Philips clippers at the moment

I used to cut my husband's and my son's hair using wahl clippers and scissors. Clippers are easy to use and definitely worth considering. However, now my son has grown up my husband has gone back to the local barbers; they only charge £10 and for that it hardly seems worth getting the clippers out and, more significantly, clearing up the hairs afterwards. I will occasionally still cut it in the summer when we can do so outside and clearing up can be a bit less thorough. The hairs do get everywhere.

Pointing out the obvious OP, but if the wife is going to do the job that means you are not doing it yourself.o_O
I use the Philips trimmer already mentioned, set at 2 for the sides, 3 for the remainder.

Pointing out the obvious OP, but if the wife is going to do the job that means you are not doing it yourself.o_O

I did think about changing the title, then couldn't be bothered :D
I might end up doing it myself if I go for one of those rotating head types that IG uses.

Been cutting my own hair for over 20 years and saved a fortune.

I too use a Philips clipper, but do a gradual grade from top to bottom.... Usually 18mm on top, 6mm above the ears and base of neck, then smooth out the gaps with lengths inbetween. Finally finishing off with no guard to sharpen the edges around the ears and neck.

The idea of paying for a haircut (and the inconvenience of getting there) these days is quite alien to me.

Yep same as others #3 using Phillips cordless clippers. Been doing this for about six years.

Because I'm pretty thin, ok pretty bald, I cut mine myself, or have my girlfriend do it. Wahl clippers, grade 0. I'd cut it even shorter if I could, and if SWMBO would allow. Two weeks is about my maximum between cuts.

Be careful doing it yourself, we have a friend along the road who cuts his own, same "style" as me, but he obviously doesn't use a second mirror to check the back properly, as there are often tufts and tramlines. Looks like a real botch job!

Have a mobile hairdresser who does a family cut. Costs about £35 for three of us. More if my daughter wants it doing, but she doesn't always.

Same price if I don't, so nothing to lose!

Wahls here - makes a really satiffying clunk/hum when you turn it on. SWMBO does it every few weeks. Literally can't remember the last time I had a paid cut - over a decade. Apart from saving money there are a couple of other benefits to wife-cuts too :p

No guard for me , then a razor in the bath , pretty chilly in the winter though lol !!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom