dog attack in USA

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just saw this on the daily mail website - and made me stop and think what i would do if i was the one under attack, or if i was one of the people trying to get the dog off. What would you do to stop the attack?

Detroit postal worker is mauled in vicious dog attack despite as he delivered the mail | Daily Mail Online

Whilst I wouldn't want to harm an "innocent" animal there comes a point where you just have to do anything needed to get it off? It clearly wasn't going to let go and was capable of causing serious injury - so what can you do to make it let go - kill it?

just saw this on the daily mail website - and made me stop and think what i would do if i was the one under attack, or if i was one of the people trying to get the dog off. What would you do to stop the attack?

The first 2 things I would have tried before resorting to finding objects to hit an aggressive dog with would be in this order:

1. Pour water over the dogs head
  2. Throw a coat over the dogs head
I've tried both things at some point over the years with my own dog (when others attacked him, I'd like to add). The first option was actually a bottle of lemonade thrown over a Jack Russell that was biting my German Shepherd on the head whilst all 4 of his feet were off the ground! My dad started emptying the bottle over them and they stopped immediately.

Second option - I threw my coat over another dog in the park (can't recall breed, but it was small (again)) when it was biting mine. Again, the dog stopped, pulled it's head out from under my coat (eventually), then ran off.

As well as not hitting a dog that was biting and being aggessive, I wouldn't shout and scream at it either - this behaviour is not known to calm any animal down afaik. Remain calm, chuck a coat over it, let it escape.

The saddest part was an injured dog?? That had just attacked somebody without cause?? Really?
Yep, pretty much.

It's obviously been treated pretty badly and not brought up correctly, can't blame an animal for acting like an animal if it hasn't been trained.

I obviously feel sorry for the postman, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The fault however, lies with the owner.
The dog will most likely be put down, all because it was unlucky enough to be owned by someone with no respect for animals.

Last edited:
I was told many years ago by someone who was very into Alsatians (German Shepards) that they way to counter such a dog running towards you was to make a fist, and just as it comes for you, it will open it's mouth and you ram/punch your fist into to dogs mouth.

1: I will not like this at all !
2: It hurts!
3: Your fist as the back of it's throat means it will not be able to close it's jaws.

Of course, this is very easy to say as a method, and I've no idea how true it was, but the guy was very knowledgeable at the time.

I was told many years ago by someone who was very into Alsatians (German Shepards) that they way to counter such a dog running towards you was to make a fist, and just as it comes for you, it will open it's mouth and you ram/punch your fist into to dogs mouth.

3: Your fist as the back of it's throat means it will not be able to close it's jaws.

Of course, this is very easy to say as a method, and I've no idea how true it was, but the guy was very knowledgeable at the time.

How soon can you remove the fist from the dog's mouth?

First thing I thought whilst watching the vid is why nobody got a knife and slit the dogs throat. Would all be over quickly

Last edited:
Finger up the bum is what I've always been told. (I think it was to do with dogs!)

Yes of course and when swimming in the sea and a great white shark comes to attack you, you should punch it on the nose.. or what's the other one, grab a crocodiles mouth and keep it closed oh and stand up big and tall and shout at a grizzly bear as it runs towards you to attack...
For crying out loud, sneak up behind someone and make them jump and they startle and freeze, but people think they can deal with an animal attacking...
Human beings are weak compared to animals, we are made to run away (built for sprinting and endurance) and to build stuff. Not get down and dirty with animals built for the kill...

Finger up the bum is what I've always been told. (I think it was to do with dogs!)
Was that from a beastality film director.
Someone once said to do that with bovines but I just took it as one of cock and bull story.:rotfl:

Last edited:
How would you feel if it was one of your loved one's, or maybe your child?
Differently I hope.
I imagine I would.

All I'm saying is a dogs behaviour is a by-product of its upbringing, these attacks would happen a lot less if the animal was raised and trained correctly, not as a fighting dog, or chained up outside its whole life.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom