Dog Soldiers: Limited Edition Blu-ray (Second Sight)

RedDevil85

Distinguished Member
Links: Coming soon

Release date: February 2021 (TBC)

Neil Marshall’s classic DOG SOLDIERS is our next Limited Edition Blu-ray in the works. More details to follow soon
DS_LE_SS.jpg

Last edited:

Evokazz

OMG I have waited forever for this

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
OMG I have waited forever for this
Same
I was looking at importing the Shout Factory version recently but this is going to be too good to pass up
That new cover art alone is glorious

I love this movie & have every faith that Second Sight are going to do an amazing job with it

Cannot wait

Neil

Evokazz

Same
I was looking at importing the Shout Factory version recently but this is going to be too good to pass up
That new cover art alone is glorious

I love this movie & have every faith that Second Sight are going to do an amazing job with it

Cannot wait

Neil
I don't know how the SF version looks but recall the DVD being super grainy (as director intended most likely) will be curious to see how this cleans up and how they deal with the grain, either way I'm all over this.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I watched my old DVD copy a short while ago. The PQ was awful. I hope that the BR is better, not that I’ll be buying it, I don’t think.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
I watched my old DVD copy a short while ago. The PQ was awful. I hope that the BR is better, not that I’ll be buying it, I don’t think.
Yeah I remember the DVD looking terrible! Probably best waiting for reviews here but I imagine it won't look better than what we get with this one.

Reiver

Novice Member
If it's based on the German Koch Media 4K remaster from the original 16mm negatives, I hope they can improve the black levels which were pretty grey. The best analysis of that release from the blu-ray.com forums also suggests that digital cleaning is needed as it's a quite dirty (along with two minor audio errors from remixing).

I'd say the UK DVD is actually reasonable from being based on the original 16mm negatives. The US blurays were based on cinema prints with the 2009 First Look Studios release being very rough while the 2015 Shout release was marginally better but screwed by changes to colour temperatures and brightness in many day for night shots. The defense by Neil Marshall about original colour just doesn't match what I (and others) saw in the cinema and which the UK DVD matches.

I've been holding out for a fix to the Koch media release so I hope this is the one!

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Grrrrr, when it says new 4K master then you read no 4K release.

Lovely artwork but i’ll wait for a 4K release for Mr Marshalls 2nd best movie. Hopefully he’ll have some news on his best movie too, soon.

Snake79

I absolutely love that new cover art, would be great if they did glow in the dark for the moon and title.

I have the German 4k digibook and it's a mixed bag quality wise. The UK dvd is very soft and I had initially put it down to being shot on 16mm. The 4k does have a ton more detail though and the colours are a lot better overall so it was never an issue with the film being on 16mm.

Where the 4k does come up short is in black levels, as they are more grey and with film grain being heavy at times due to the 16mm film. There are also some inconsistancies between shots where some look really good and others look unfinished as well as some audio issues.

I did consider the various US releases but they all had underwhelming reviews so I jumped on the 4k when it came out. It's not perfect but I'd take it over the dvd. The scenes in the house have so much more depth and detail to them it makes for a better viewing experience in my opinion.

I'll be interested in the reviews of this new release but it's only a blu-ray so I'll probably give it a miss despite that stunning cover art.

Evokazz

Where do we even buy this? Nothing on SS website at all.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Where do we even buy this? Nothing on SS website at all.
They haven't begun pre-orders yet, will be up at all the usual suspects as soon as they open up the pre-order

Neil

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom