Dolby atmos. Looking for advice

makaveli187

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi looking for help buying an atmos setup. Going with a 5.1.4 system. Front and rear going with q acoustics 3020i and centre 3090. Undecided with sub.
when it comes to heights I’m open to options but also hitting a wall when it comes to deciding. I may go with q acoustics qi65p in ceiling These come in at 185 euro a piece which is a big chunk of change. Any1 have ideas which I can consider

I've got a pair of Monitor Audio C165 I'm using for a stereo in my bedroom. They'd be more than up to the job of Atmos effects and appear to be a more reasonable £80-100 ish each. There's also a more expensive C180 version.

The c165 is 6.5" and the c180 is an 8" cone

Before you even think of what speakers who want best check if your room can support 5.1.4. Can you follow the Dolby recommendations linked below.

I've got a pair of Monitor Audio C165 I'm using for a stereo in my bedroom. They'd be more than up to the job of Atmos effects and appear to be a more reasonable £80-100 ish each. There's also a more expensive C180 version.

The c165 is 6.5" and the c180 is an 8" cone
I was trying to keep all speakers in brand for a more “balanced” sound. I wouldn’t need to be over worried with over heads in this regard??

Before you even think of what speakers who want best check if your room can support 5.1.4. Can you follow the Dolby recommendations linked below.
I have read tru this but I couldn’t really find room sizes. My room will be 10foot by 16foot. I’m just presuming that il have plenty of room to place speakers in this size.

It's not about room size it's about the space between the speakers and in relation to your MLP. If your TV is on the 10ft wall and your seating is away from the back wall then 5.1.4 is possible. If, on the other hand, your TV is on the 16ft wall then I suggest a 5.1.4 is unworkable.

Would it be possible for you to post a diagram, with dimensions of your room and your proposed speaker positions along with seating.

I was trying to keep all speakers in brand for a more “balanced” sound. I wouldn’t need to be over worried with over heads in this regard??

I'm certainly on board with keeping the front 3 as closely matching as possible but I don't find effects channels to be quite so crucial. There's no guarantee anyway that different speakers ranges or models are tonally matched anyway, a ceiling speaker is quite a different beast to a speaker cabinet.

Of course others will have differing opinions as to how crucial matching is in this circumstance.

It's not about room size it's about the space between the speakers and in relation to your MLP. If your TV is on the 10ft wall and your seating is away from the back wall then 5.1.4 is possible. If, on the other hand, your TV is on the 16ft wall then I suggest a 5.1.4 is unworkable.

Would it be possible for you to post a diagram, with dimensions of your room and your proposed speaker positions along with seating.
i have attached a picture of room layout sorry for the child’s drawn in work at moment closest thin to hand. LoL

Attachments

• 3B36D068-0BE4-4256-B4D2-BBB48B107CB7.jpeg
    3B36D068-0BE4-4256-B4D2-BBB48B107CB7.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 77
No problem with 5.1.4. Follow the guide as close as possible. Main thing to remember is that the base layer, ie, the 5.1 needs to have those speakers at a seated head height, if that is possible.

No problem with 5.1.4. Follow the guide as close as possible. Main thing to remember is that the base layer, ie, the 5.1 needs to have those speakers at a seated head height, if that is possible.

Will be no problem with speaker height as this is a purpose built room at back of house. Starting in 2 weeks time hopefully. Thanks for the input.

TBH your room could easily be suitable for 7.1.4 if you fancied it never mind 5.1.4

I've never had 7.1 myself but my mate did and I found it make a difference for normal non Atmos content (it was a while ago)

At the least I'd suggest some extra speaker cables tucked away to give options in the future, might as well when your doing the work

TBH your room could easily be suitable for 7.1.4 if you fancied it never mind 5.1.4

I've never had 7.1 myself but my mate did and I found it make a difference for normal non Atmos content (it was a while ago)

At the least I'd suggest some extra speaker cables tucked away to give options in the future, might as well when your doing the work
Ya had that in mind it’s just the receivers are a bit expensive for that setup. I’m looking at buying a denon 3600. And adding an amp down the line for the extra 2 speakers.

The 3600 will give you 5.1.4 out of the box with the ability to add a power amp, or stereo integrated with HT by-pass to give you a full 7.1.4. I mentioned the integrated amp especially if you want or need a good music presentation using your front speakers. That's how I run my Denon.

I would also keep an eye on the price of a X4500 as I have a feeling that prices may very well tumble in the coming weeks as sales dry up because of the virus. Retailers and manufacturers will have to keep afloat and move existing stock.

With your building it would be no skin off your nose if you did wire for 7.1.4 as that would certainly future proof you.

The 3600 will give you 5.1.4 out of the box with the ability to add a power amp, or stereo integrated with HT by-pass to give you a full 7.1.4. I mentioned the integrated amp especially if you want or need a good music presentation using your front speakers. That's how I run my Denon.

I would also keep an eye on the price of a X4500 as I have a feeling that prices may very well tumble in the coming weeks as sales dry up because of the virus. Retailers and manufacturers will have to keep afloat and move existing stock.

With your building it would be no skin off your nose if you did wire for 7.1.4 as that would certainly future proof you.
Yes 100% will run the extra cables.
if the 4500 comes down to €850 then I would job on it.
In relation to speaker cable what should I look out for. I see a lot of them over priced saying they carry better sound surly can’t be the case??

I've used cable from various manufacturer's from cheap to fairly expensive, none of which I've paid for as I've always negotiated a deal when buying kit. I cannot tell any difference it's wire, copper wire, nothing more. All that matters if the size if you are going for long runs and with your room Van Damme Blue 2.5mm will be more than sufficient.

You can go for cable that is made deep underground by the fairies and delivered by a courier riding a unicorn but I would suggest a better way to spend your money and that's on some films to watch.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
How much does it cost to install 4 in-ceiling speakers? Looking at setting up now I have a 3600h, thanks guys

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom