Question Dolby Atmos soundbar and vaulted ceiling – does it work? Need help.

willbaer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am reading in this forum already for several months and I got great answers when I was looking for a TV. I bought the LG C9 65 and I am quite happy with the choice.

Now I would like to complete the setup with a soundbar. Due to the vaulted ceiling I am not sure if it will work properly. I have attached some pictures of the room as well as the floor plan with additional information.

I might be also considering a sound system, but after comparing 2 different 5.1 surround systems with soundbars I had the impression that voices were much ‘cleaner’ with the soundbars. Thus, I tend to get a soundbar with rear speakers such as the LG SN11RG, the Samsung Q90R or a similar model.

Do you think this makes sense and would work considering the given room layout? [Initially, I had planned to put the TV on the opposite side of the window/balcony door, but in the afternoon the sun shines quite strong into the room and on the TV and I assume, that this is not very good at all for it.]

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

willbaer

Attachments

• 20200531_layout_living_room.png
    20200531_layout_living_room.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_20200531_135821.jpg
    IMG_20200531_135821.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 967
Last edited:
Hey guys,

I am reading in this forum already for several months and I got great answers when I was looking for a TV. I bought the LG C9 65 and I am quite happy with the choice.

Now I would like to complete the setup with a soundbar. Due to the vaulted ceiling I am not sure if it will work properly. I have attached some pictures of the room as well as the floor plan with additional information.

I might be also considering a sound system, but after comparing 2 different 5.1 surround systems with soundbars I had the impression that voices were much ‘cleaner’ with the soundbars. Thus, I tend to get a soundbar with rear speakers such as the LG SN11RG, the Samsung Q90R or a similar model.

Do you think this makes sense and would work considering the given room layout? [Initially, I had planned to put the TV on the opposite side of the window/balcony door, but in the afternoon the sun shines quite strong into the room and on the TV and I assume, that this is not very good at all for it.]

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

willbaer
Hi Will, I think given the angles involved it may not perform as intended, however the only real way to find out is to purchase your chosen product and try it, I assume you are not a uk resident?
I ask because in the uk and this may well apply across the eu as well, if you purchase an item online then you can legally return it for a full refund within 14 days, so guess that would take any danger out of your purchase, good luck

It's not ideal to be honest but I do still think you would still get some atmos effect, maybe it wont be as pronounced as it sometimes is with a flatter ceiling.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I will get the SN11RG within the next days and give it a try. In Germany we have the same law allowing us to send itmes back. I hope that I do not have to send it back, since I would love to have such a setup and I am sure that it is also annoying for the seller. I will give you some feedback, this might be also interesting to people having a similar environment.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I will get the SN11RG within the next days and give it a try. In Germany we have the same law allowing us to send itmes back. I hope that I do not have to send it back, since I would love to have such a setup and I am sure that it is also annoying for the seller. I will give you some feedback, this might be also interesting to people having a similar environment.

I think the Sn11 will be good for you because the atmos effects from the rear speakers will be fine as they will be bouncing sound off the flat part of the ceiling so overall you should still be getting pretty solid height effects.

My bedroom ceiling has 2 different heights, not a giant difference but the center area goes up about a foot higher than the rest. Either way, I haven't noticed much of any ceiling bouncing effect in there. It is the SN9YG with the add-on surrounds.
My living room has a regular ceiling and I can definitely pick up on the ceiling bouncing effect more so than the bedroom.
Living room is SN11RG, bedroom is SN9YG both bars have upfiring speakers.

Hey guys, thanks for the answers. I totally missed to share some own experiences. I have bought the SN11RG and it is a great soundbar for movies (not so much for music in my opinion). The dolby atmos and surround sound works great. Unfortunately there is not too much atmos content out there, but for example the series Dark season 1 was awesome since they use music most of the time to build up some tension. I have to admit that I do not know how the soundbar would sound in a perfect room, but I was at a Teufel store (they are well known for speakers in Germany) and listened to 3 different surround systems in the price range of 800-3000€ without receiver and I would still prefer the SN11RG because its sound is much clearer.
So I would definitely recommend it, I only one thing to adjust. I have built an angle for the soundbar itself out of wood. To me it sounds better if the soundbar is not flat on the lowboard. It always sounded a bit like the sound would come from below. I would recommend to test it, even my dad could here a siginifant difference in a blind test and he usually does not give a xxxx about such things :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom