Dolby Atmos test on USB stick - no Atmos display

pure_geordie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello, Just a quick question please. I have recently purchased a new home cinema kit it works great, Dolby Atmos is great and all working as it should with my Atmos speakers. Dolby Atmos is display on the receiver as it should when playing movies and all is good. However I've downloaded the demo from dolby own website and stuck it into my XBox one X and played it, Whilst is sounds great and probably is Atmos the display just says Multi Ch In. I think it is Atmos as the sound is incredible and coming from all speakers etc byt not sure why the actual file isn't displayed as Atmos from the Dolby Website. On my Amp when I press info it says,
XBox One, Sound- Multi In, Signal PCM, and states all channels/speakers in use. Yes my Xbox is all set to Dolby Atmos, HDMI etc as it all works fine with Films etc..

Anybody else tried the Atmos Demos from Dolby Website, All I've done is download then and put it in XBox. The USB stick didn't get picked up in my Amp as it may have been incompatible. Wonder if its something to do with Metadata or the actual type of file or even if the display will just not say Atmos.

However when I play it it does sound really good etc so not sure if anybody else has tried the demo?

All I know is that if my receiver doesnt say Atmos then it isnt Atmos. The ATV 4K and I think the Xbox output as MAT which is PCM ("multi chan in") plus Atmos metadata.

When there's an Atmos stream my receiver says Atmos, when its just 5.1 it just says multi-chan in. For other sources it says Dolby Digital + or Dolby True HD when there isnt but always Atmos when there is metadata.

The receiver can "fake" the extra channels like for height when there is no Atmos data - then my Denon says "Multi In + DOS" i.e. its using Dolby Surround to create extra channels inside the receiver.

It's more likely to be a problem with the stick rather than the Xbox if you already have been playing Atmos and the receiver has been displaying Atmos on the facia. What receiver are you using?

I think it is the Xbox One that's the problem. It might only play atmos audio when using its inbuilt Blu Ray Player.

You might need a separate media player to do what you want. Do you have a PC or laptop with HDMI out?

Hello, My specs are, XBox one X, Denon AVR-X2600H and Focal sib evo 5.1.2

All my movies etc work fine and it says Dolby Atmos on my amp, just doesn't say it when I run the demo and USB stick in the XBox, So you maybe right what you guys say? Just wondering if anybody had tried it. Not to worry but does sound really good anyways even if it doesn't actually say DAtmos! Thanks.

It looks like the Xbox One cannot playback Dolby atmos from a USB stick. You need a different media player. A laptop might do it if you have one of those.

If not actually stating the incoming audio as being inclusive of Atmos metadata then your receiver is therefore not getting and or detecting any such metadata. The Audio format the Atmos metadata was packaged with relative to the downloadable demos from Dolby will have been DD+. I've copies of the demos on a NAS and use a media player to play these files. My receiver indicates the audio to be DD= inclusive of Atmos.

As suggsted, the XBox will be using MAT and streaming Atmos metadata in conjunction with multichannel PCM as opposed to streaming the metadata within the audio that it was originally packaged with. The receiver would however still indicate if and when receiving Atmos metadata. If not then you are not getting Atmos.

Note that many new TVs now include a media player app able to handle DD+ and output the DD+ audio inclusive of Atmos metadata via ARC. LG TVs are your best bet and maybe try this if you have one? My C9 will happliy play the downloaded Dolby Atmos demo files and stream Atmos to my AV receiver.

Hi, I actually do have an New LG TV purchased last year, Will the downloaded file just work if I plug it into the LG TV? Or just go on a website on my LG TV and play it from there? not sure. Thanks Again.

THe issue at hand could be as a result of Microsoft and Dolby making a mess of their updates?

Read here:

Other Denon owners have experiencied similar issues, getting just multichannel PCM devoid of Atmos metadata.

Back in August i lost use of dolby atmos on my denon amp, it changed from at mos to multi in. After speaking to denon it turns out that the issue is due to microsoft not updating to the latest, can you advise when microsoft intends to upgrade to 1.6?

Hi, I actually do have an New LG TV purchased last year, Will the downloaded file just work if I plug it into the LG TV? Or just go on a website on my LG TV and play it from there? not sure. Thanks Again.

Simply accessing the file via the USB drive while connected to your TV or over a network will and should be fine. Use the TV's inbuilt video player. Ensure the TV is configured to use ARC and that its digital audio output is set to AUTO.

Last edited:
I Might buy a dedicated blu-ray player!!! I wonder if it is the update for microsoft? Will try the TV thanks.

Note that not all players will facilitate accessing Atmos if accessed via USB and or if using the player's inbuilt media player. They will allow you to play discs and access (bitstream) Atmos if the soundtrack includes it, but not all of them extend this ability to their apps and inbuilt media players.

If you connect your USB stick to the TV, and both your TV and your amp have eARC, you might be able to get Dolby TrueHD + atmos that way. But you won't get it via standard ARC.

No laptop in the house with an HDMI output then?

Will try laptop Thanks Rambles, However its not a super dooper laptop so wonder even if its cable od Dolby Atmos as I would of thought not as its about 5 years old! thanks

The laptop might be okay if it has an HDMI output. Set the windows audio to stereo. Then use a decent video player such as Kodi, set the audio settings in the player to bitstream via WASAPI (presuming it is a windows laptop) and see how that goes.

A blu ray player, most of which are now 4K capable, can be set to bitstream and this will have no problems in giving an Atmos stream to the receiver to decode and can be a better, certainly quieter, way of watching and listening to film. The USB port capabilities depends on model and would have to be checked from the manufacturer's specification sheet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom