Dolby vision flickering

jimjam75

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I’m not new to the forums but I have never posted before so this is my first one and not sure this is the right place to post?
I’m having an issue with an ultra hd bluray flickering when playing in Dolby vision but stops if I turn the Dolby vision off in the bluray player.
My tv is a 65AG8 and the bluray player is the Panasonic ubp820 running through a Sony str 1080.
I have 2 other ultra hd Blu-ray Discs with Dolby vision and neither flicker at all and neither does Netflix in Dolby vision.
I’m hoping it’s a simple issue of a bad disc and the film in question is Shaun the sheep Farmegeddon which I purchased from eBay?!!
any one else have this film or flickering?

Hi.
i don’t have this film, but I have the same uhd player as you and similar tv, Panasonic gz950, and haven’t seen any flickering on the small number of DV disks that I have, or on Netflix DV.
it sounds strange that you are getting this issue on one disk and not on others. Unless there is a fault with the disk.
does it do the same if you connect the ub820 straight to the tv?
can you swap the ub820 hdmi cable over?
cheers

Hi and thank you for the reply I am edging towards there being a problem with the disc itself.
I will put the HDMI straight into the tv and see if that makes a difference.
The HDMI is an Audioquest Pearl

Hi and thank you for the reply I am edging towards there being a problem with the disc itself.
I will put the HDMI straight into the tv and see if that makes a difference.
The HDMI is an Audioquest Pearl

be interested in how you get on... good luck

I have plugged the HDMI directly from the bluray player to the tv and it’s made no difference at all so I am putting this down to a faulty disc.
As I have bought this from eBay is there a chance it’s a copy and not a genuine ultra hd disc?
I have taken a video of the flicker on my phone but have no idea of how to post it here?

I have plugged the HDMI directly from the bluray player to the tv and it’s made no difference at all so I am putting this down to a faulty disc.
As I have bought this from eBay is there a chance it’s a copy and not a genuine ultra hd disc?
I have taken a video of the flicker on my phone but have no idea of how to post it here?

Not sure about it being a fake disk but I don't think you'd be able to take realistic video of the problem because of the frame rate of the camera you use and compression etc. There is a thread on the forums for Blu-ray and 4 movies, so it may be worth asking on there is people have any issues with that film...

The video I have taken you can clearly see the flickering/flashing of the picture and stops if I turn Dolby vision off and just output in standard hdr.
I’ll have a look in those sections thank you for your help

The video I have taken you can clearly see the flickering/flashing of the picture and stops if I turn Dolby vision off and just output in standard hdr.
I’ll have a look in those sections thank you for your help
Symptoms to be sound like the cable doesn't have the bandwdith capacity for 4k DV.

Looking online the Audioquest pearl isn't HDMI Ultra certified and is only rated at 10.2 Gbps, not the 18 Gbps required for DV 4k.

Something like this, for example, is 18Gbps certified

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thank you sagaris99 I will look those cables up but if it’s the cable why do my other Dolby vision titles work perfectly plus I found a thread in the bluray section of the same thing happening to someone else with the same film so not sure what’s going on?

Thank you sagaris99 I will look those cables up but if it’s the cable why do my other Dolby vision titles work perfectly plus I found a thread in the bluray section of the same thing happening to someone else with the same film so not sure what’s going on?
You could be right, it might be a dodgy film

But always worth checking the HDMI cables.
There is tough choice - make sure the ones you buy (if you do) are certified. When you get it, it should have a QR hologram on the front to scan to confirm it's certification
I had similar issues with my Apple TV 4k on install to my C8. I was using certified cables, but using a cheapo 90 degree connector to plug it in - which of course, was not certified. Removed the connector, worked perfectly.

Best of luck

Thank you again guys, I had a look on futures hoo and they claim the audioquest pearl HDMI are 18gbs so enough for ultra hd??
I will keep an eye on it if not I will have to look at changing my HDMI cables.

Hi I’m not new to the forums but I have never posted before so this is my first one and not sure this is the right place to post?
I’m having an issue with an ultra hd bluray flickering when playing in Dolby vision but stops if I turn the Dolby vision off in the bluray player.
My tv is a 65AG8 and the bluray player is the Panasonic ubp820 running through a Sony str 1080.
I have 2 other ultra hd Blu-ray Discs with Dolby vision and neither flicker at all and neither does Netflix in Dolby vision.
I’m hoping it’s a simple issue of a bad disc and the film in question is Shaun the sheep Farmegeddon which I purchased from eBay?!!
any one else have this film or flickering?

I have the same 4k player, but its linked with a Sony AF8. I have noticed something similar, for sure. It's not something I saw with every disc, but Sony's implementation of DV has always been a little flaky.

I stopped worrying about it mainly because the player's HDR enhancer makes 'standard' HDR looks as good, if not better, than DV anyway, in my opinion.

In short, I just put it down to Sony and DV not being a perfect match.

Last edited:
I will keep an eye out when watching other Dolby vision discs but I have had no other issues with any other discs in Dolby vision nor have I had any issues with Netflix in Dolby vision whether it’s through the tv native app or any others going through my Amp.

I’m getting flickering on the UHD of Zombie but only in DV. I’m using a Sony A85 and sony x700 player. I’ve not noticed it on any other discs. Thanks m putting it down to the way it’s authored? It’s annoying but easy to fix by switching to HDR10

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom