Dolby Vision playback on discs?

t-force

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone seen a definitive answer yet as to whether the XBOX Series X and S will support Dolby Vision on UHD blu-ray discs? I believe they've confirmed that it will be an option for games at some point, and that it will be supported for various streaming apps as it was with the XB1X, but I've still yet to see any official confirmation about discs.

Or HDR10+ ?

I’ll get ma coat

Was looking at getting a player that supports dv so if that series x does i’ll be made up with that.

It's hard to tell from John's tweet as to whether he's actually got his hands on a unit. If this is the case, it's really disappointing. Would happily have paid a licence fee if that option was offered, as it was for Dolby Atmos via headphones, on the XB1X.

It's as clear as mud at the moment, but I get the feeling that MS would probably have said something before now if the XSX was going to offer it.

Highly frustrating as I can’t have an Atmos setup in my room, so use the Xbox and headphones to get that....but that won’t give me Dolby Vision for the best picture. So no way to get the best picture and sound together

That FlatPanelsHD article was a useful summary of what to expect.

It's great that Dolby Vision will be coming to games on the Series X, but a bit of a shame UHD discs might not get support. I'd have thought any TV that can display DV would be able to get them through their own apps anyway, so I'm not particularly sold on that as a "feature".

I've got the Panasonic UB-820 UHD player and that supports both DV and HDR10+ on disc, but disappointing for those banking on their next gen console being a one-stop shop for UHD content.

Might be to do with the costs of licensing DV? I don't know if there would be a separate cost for the player and Blueray films?

Given we're about 2 weeks out now and there hasn't been any confirmation, I'd say that it was highly unlikely that we'll get DV for the disc drive.

Disappointing but I guess Microsoft either didn't want to stump up for the licenses or felt that regular HDR10 would be ok given most people are transitioning towards streaming (where DV is available).

Or that HDR10+ is ok, I would have thought that the differences between that and DV will be discernable by the majority anyway. I have a non DV TV anyway so fine with it.
To use it, you need Dolby Vision-enabled content playing through a Dolby Vision-compatible player to a Dolby Vision-enabled display. Dolby has a certification process, licensing fees, and special hardware that manufacturers must include thus maybe to keep the cost of the series x below the £500 mark MS had to make certain choices.
I have read that HDR10+ is ahead in the format wars because of it's openess, not my quote. Sure DV can offer a higher bit level at 12 compared to HDR10+'s 10, and 10,000 nits compared to 4000. But are there any tv's or monitors out there that handle the higher values?

Or that HDR10+ is ok, I would have thought that the differences between that and DV will be discernable by the majority anyway. I have a non DV TV anyway so fine with it.
To use it, you need Dolby Vision-enabled content playing through a Dolby Vision-compatible player to a Dolby Vision-enabled display. Dolby has a certification process, licensing fees, and special hardware that manufacturers must include thus maybe to keep the cost of the series x below the £500 mark MS had to make certain choices.
I have read that HDR10+ is ahead in the format wars because of it's openess, not my quote. Sure DV can offer a higher bit level at 12 compared to HDR10+'s 10, and 10,000 nits compared to 4000. But are there any tv's or monitors out there that handle the higher values?
Literally all streaming services use DV, all but Samsung don’t use it, I think HDR 10+ would be way behind.

I don't think Sky do as they’re HLG as the BBC do. Not had any streaming app unable to view HDR on my Samsung. But as stated, would the average pair of eyes actually see any difference between HDR10+ and DV anyway and are there any, or many, TV's that can yet take advantage of the higher DV specs? I think there might be some 8k set that do...

I think Amazon partnered with Samsung to offer HDR10+. Broadcast is HLG, as mentioned above.

I see no reason why Microsoft couldn't offer DV discs to the Series X if they already have it on games and streaming - would simply be a firmware update, much as it must be for games and streaming, given neither are coming until 2021. Whether they eventually *do* add it for disc playback is another matter entirely - doesn't seem very likely at the moment.

I think Amazon partnered with Samsung to offer HDR10+. Broadcast is HLG, as mentioned above.

I see no reason why Microsoft couldn't offer DV discs to the Series X if they already have it on games and streaming - would simply be a firmware update, much as it must be for games and streaming, given neither are coming until 2021. Whether they eventually *do* add it for disc playback is another matter entirely - doesn't seem very likely at the moment.

But that firmware update would require Microsoft to pay a fee (whether it’s a flat fee or per device) to Dolby to make the player DV compatible.

Maybe Microsoft just doesn’t see it as a worthy investment to make unfortunately.

How long do you think until we get DV & DA on Freeview!? 🤣🤣🤣

But that firmware update would require Microsoft to pay a fee (whether it’s a flat fee or per device) to Dolby to make the player DV compatible.

Maybe Microsoft just doesn’t see it as a worthy investment to make unfortunately.

Since they offered the Dolby Atmos over headphones licence as a paid option on the XB1X, it would be good if they'd consider doing the same thing with DV now.

It would be nice for sure, but if they didn't offer it for the One X that already had the 4K drive in it, then I doubt they'll offer it now tbh.

Fair point. Just figured it might be slightly different this time around, given that the support is coming to games.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom