Dolittle 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas, I’ll avoid this even when the kids demand it!!

Sounds like a Downey Jr should have stuck to Iron Man 😱

Last edited:
Downey Jr isn't half as good an actor as he thinks he is. His two Holmes films would've been a lot better with someone else playing the part as he just wasn't able to to the accent properly at a proper volume. He's ok at playing loud Americans though 😃

Thanks Cas. This will be a rental for sure.
Welsh Accent? He should have stuck with the Rex Harrison approach!
P.S. Is there a Pushmepullyou? Surely a very necessary character! :D

I went into this movie expecting nothing and found it quite entertaining.
You know Downey could have done any role after Iron Man and it would have flopped nonetheless....people have come to know him as Tony and won't except anything else anymore.
Still looking forward to seeing the new Sherlock Holmes movie as i loved the first two as well !

I'll buy this disc without hesitation.... :)

Thanks Cas. The kids wanted to Watch it and i was trying to avoid it but after this review its gone into the rental list. Love seeing a great AV presentation sometimes just for the sake of presentation which I think will be the case here...

What a God awful mess of a movie. RDJ was brilliant as Iron Man / Tony Stark but what the hell he thought he was doing in this is beyond me. He's a genuinely charismatic actor but he dials it so far back in this, he's the least interesting thing it, which isn't saying much.

What a God awful mess of a movie. RDJ was brilliant as Iron Man / Tony Stark but what the hell he thought he was doing in this is beyond me. He's a genuinely charismatic actor but he dials it so far back in this, he's the least interesting thing it, which isn't saying much.
Isn’t there a flatulent dragon ? Surely he’d be the most interesting thing !?

Isn’t there a flatulent dragon ? Surely he’d be the most interesting thing !?

Spoiler alert! The flatulent dragon was a genuine surprise. Until that point I thought there was nothing RDJ could do to possibly debase himself further in this movie.

...but what the hell he thought he was doing in this is beyond me.

I suppose he was thinking "$20mil plus that percentage. Might as well milk it while the going's still good." I think Downey's a good actor (I liked him in The Judge opposite Robert Duvall), but his performance here is just lazy. There is no sane universe in which this deserves a 7, no matter how shiny and highly polished the CGI bird happens to be.

I suppose he was thinking "$20mil plus that percentage. Might as well milk it while the going's still good." I think Downey's a good actor (I liked him in The Judge opposite Robert Duvall), but his performance here is just lazy. There is no sane universe in which this deserves a 7, no matter how shiny and highly polished the CGI bird happens to be.

Which is probably why in this universe I gave it a 5 ;)

Well this film goes to show how opinions differ ;)

Certainly not a 10/10 but for me it was a solid 6.5 or 7/10. It was silly and obvious in places but the humour appealed and as a brainless funny diversion for a couple of hours the family and I enjoyed it. Not at all unhappy that we watched it.

G

Watched this with the Missus last night. Enjoyable enough Movie that looked & sounded great, but I found RDJ's Welsh accent grating, along with the majority of Animals using an unending string of Americanisms. If they had just transplanted the whole story to the USA, it would have sat better 6 made (a little) more sense. My Wife is American, so the accents & Americanisms bothered her a lot less. Rex Harrison may be turning in his grave, but he is in no danger of losing the Dolittle Crown!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom