Domestic & General Insurance Policy to cover Screen Burn / Permanent Image Retention.

Barrovian

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've just had an interesting call with Domestic and General, a company that provides breakdown insurance for electrical goods. They already cover our white goods and the subject got around to televisions. They asked what I had (it's a Panasonic FZ802) and was it still under warranty? I told them I already had cover with the JL five year warranty, but as she rightly pointed out that was for mechanical breakdowns only. She was able to offer me cover for breakdowns and accidental damage for £6.50pm on an open rolling contract which I can cancel at anytime. I asked her if D&G policies covered screen burn and permanent image retention and she said without hesitation, yes they do. Screen burn is covered as they class it as a 'mechanical breakdown.' I asked if there was anywhere I could see that in writing and she assured me it was in the policy documents and that in any case, the call was being recorded so the fact that she said screen burn is covered is a matter of record.
I've got to admit, I was surprised that they'd cover it and am taking what she said with a pinch of salt. But she was said SB is definitely covered so I'm tempted to take a punt on a Policy and if I'm not satisfied with the cover detailed in the policy I can always cancel.
Thoughts, anyone?

I've just had an interesting call with Domestic and General, a company that provides breakdown insurance for electrical goods. They already cover our white goods and the subject got around to televisions. They asked what I had (it's a Panasonic FZ802) and was it still under warranty? I told them I already had cover with the JL five year warranty, but as she rightly pointed out that was for mechanical breakdowns only. She was able to offer me cover for breakdowns and accidental damage for £6.50pm on an open rolling contract which I can cancel at anytime. I asked her if D&G policies covered screen burn and permanent image retention and she said without hesitation, yes they do. Screen burn is covered as they class it as a 'mechanical breakdown.' I asked if there was anywhere I could see that in writing and she assured me it was in the policy documents and that in any case, the call was being recorded so the fact that she said screen burn is covered is a matter of record.
I've got to admit, I was surprised that they'd cover it and am taking what she said with a pinch of salt. But she was said SB is definitely covered so I'm tempted to take a punt on a Policy and if I'm not satisfied with the cover detailed in the policy I can always cancel.
Thoughts, anyone?

That is insanely amazing. I might go for a 65'' OLED and give them a call.

I heard TeamKnowHow insurance cover it too but I'll see if they will put it in writing.

@aoaaron I’m in two minds. If It sounds too good to be true, it probably is. So please, don’t rush into it on my say so. I think what I’m going to do is take them up on the offer, after all, it’s only £6 odd per month with no minimum term. If I’m still not convinced once I’ve got the paperwork I can always cancel it. I’ll post again once I’ve spoken to them again this evening.

I did some contracting with them for a sh*t period and I would be very surprised if they did cover it. Check your documents carefully. They provide sky protect plus which covers sky equipment plus the tv (A* for creativity with the name) the policy documents for this explicitly state image retention is not covered.

Well, she said she'd ring tonight at 6, and I'm still waiting ;) but I agree, it's highly unlikely that they would cover it. That's why I didn't sign up straight away. But, she was adamant. 'If' she rings again (not holding my breath) I'm sorely tempted to take out the policy and if (when) I find image retention isn't covered, have a Victor Meldrew moment, just for fun:rotfl:

Has anyone with a D&G policy had a successful claim regarding screen burn?

Has anyone with a D&G policy had a successful claim regarding screen burn?
Sorry, I forgot about this thread. I've had some some pressing health issues and it slipped my mind. They never rang me back, so I'll take it that they had second thoughts and decided that no, they won't cover it after all.

Sorry, I forgot about this thread. I've had some some pressing health issues and it slipped my mind. They never rang me back, so I'll take it that they had second thoughts and decided that no, they won't cover it after all.

Damn. Hope you're feeling better. Someone else mentioned they did cover it so it would be interesting if you did decide to chase it up.

I contacted them. They don’t cover it in writing so we can close this as a potential Avenue for warranty.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom