Drone problem (HS120d)

poite1983

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to drones and have never posted on here but looking for some help and advice.

I bought a beginner drone (Holystone HS120d) a week ago and had been having some good fun flights with it. The camera isn't great (no gimbal) but it's got some good features for someone like me to try out and get the hang of things.

However yesterday I had a major issue. I took the drone to a park and did my normal set up. Switch on, WiFi connect and then app connection (which I admit took about 10 attempts but got connected to the app eventually - connection to WiFi was excellent all the time)

I then did the full calibration setting.

1. Remote - left stick up and then down
2. Compass - both sticks up and inwards followed by the manual horizontal and vertical spins
3. Gyro - both sticks up and outwards

The drone was then placed for take off with the app clearly displaying 'ready to fly' and all lights solid as expected.

I pressed the auto-take off button and normally the drone takes off and hovers about 2-3 feet up but for some reason it just took off and kept going up. No matter what I did it would not stop going up. GPS seemed locked because despite it going up and up it held position over the take off point.

It only came down again when I assume the failsafe kicked in due to the distance or loss of connection.

The worst thing was that when it came back down and for to approx 10ft from the ground the motors suddenly just switched off and it simply fell the final 10ft or so and crashed into the ground. It was dangerous and concerning.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this to happen? I did everything as instructed step by step as I had on multiple previous flights where I had no issues whatsoever. It's put me off using it again. Could there be a fault or is there a mistake I lve made?

Any advice and support greatly appreciated.

My XK Detect suddenly took off by itself many years ago for no reason. Very dangerous , it was on the ground then the motors started and it took off then landed a few feet away , Never found out the cause of this but it never did it again. There was however power lines close by as we were next to the North East Coast train line, I wonder if there had been some static or interferance.
Try your drone again but in another location , do the same calibration and see if it happens again .If it does there must be a fault. If it's under a warranty get it fixed , if not , get rid of it before it causes an accident.

My XK Detect suddenly took off by itself many years ago for no reason. Very dangerous , it was on the ground then the motors started and it took off then landed a few feet away , Never found out the cause of this but it never did it again. There was however power lines close by as we were next to the North East Coast train line, I wonder if there had been some static or interferance.
Try your drone again but in another location , do the same calibration and see if it happens again .If it does there must be a fault. If it's under a warranty get it fixed , if not , get rid of it before it causes an accident.

Thanks very much for your reply 😊

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom