Question Drop + THX Panda Wireless Headphone

Danial

Established Member
Reaction score
I've started to go down the rabbit hole of headphones, but I'm not in the market for wired headphones (or an amp to drive them). I've never had high quality sounding headphones, I currently have a pair of Bose QC35II and AirPod Pros, both were bought for their ANC capabilities for commuting/travel as well as what feels like endless conference calls these days. Since I bought the AirPod Pros I've almost exclusively used them for aforementioned reasons and I find their ANC 90% as good as the Bose, but without the bulk. I'm a huge fan of wireless headphones (and speakers for that matter) and so I've been trying to find a pair that can replace my Bose but has that 'audiophile' quality. I should add that I have some hearing loss in my left ear, so I'll never get the most out of the super high end headphones anyway.

I came across the Drop + THX Panda wireless headphones, which have been getting pretty good reviews (Josh Valour's is by far the most balanced).

Does anyone have these (I gather they've only just shipped the first thousand copies) or have it on pre-order? Would like to hear other's thoughts before dropping $400 (plus VAT and duties, no doubt). Are there alternatives I should be considering?

I would hang fire until the Sony WH-1000XM4's are released.

I would hang fire until the Sony WH-1000XM4's are released.
I’ve tried the current generation and they’re good, but I’m not after ANC, which is really what you’re paying a premium for. I can’t imagine sound quality will beat the Panda’s - at least that’s what the reviews suggest, unless Sony really up their game.

Having said that, Panda’s aren’t due for general release for at least 3 months so who knows what might come along.

You are not buying these for travel and commute due to the absence of active noise cancelling. Conversely the absence of ANC is a selling point if you are about maximising audio quality

You are pre ordering these as it is the Oppo PM-3 with wireless LDAC, aptX HD, aptX LL, aptX Adaptive and AAC codecs* whilst still being able to use in wired mode and it will come with warranty, unlike second hand PM-3 from eBay

Cons:

Depreciation of the British Pound plus additional customs and VAT hurts. The value proposition is better for USA residents

If anything goes wrong have to ship across the pond

Named Panda but colour scheme is not black and white

You are not buying these for travel and commute due to the absence of active noise cancelling. Conversely the absence of ANC is a selling point if you are about maximising audio quality

You are pre ordering these as it is the Oppo PM-3 with wireless LDAC, aptX HD, aptX LL, aptX Adaptive and AAC codecs* whilst still being able to use in wired mode and it will come with warranty, unlike second hand PM-3 from eBay

Cons:

Depreciation of the British Pound plus additional customs and VAT hurts. The value proposition is better for USA residents

If anything goes wrong have to ship across the pond

Named Panda but colour scheme is not black and white
Correct, for at home use and going for maximum sound quality while retaining wireless capability (I really dislike wires).

Good point regarding cons, although my wife is American and we have plenty of American family and friends who can ship these over to avoid such fees. Although, I’ve not tended to mind paying VAT, it’s bloody courier fees that annoy me. You’re right about having to ship back if any issues arise, though.

I personally love the all black, logoless look and the Panda name is certainly a misnomer.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom