Quantcast

DTS: X is finally launched

dante01

Distinguished Member
At the moment I have 4 speakers at the back, 1 in each corner and 2 in the middle at the back on the floor. Usual 2 fronts in each corner and centre at the front. Can this do DTS: X? I wont be putting speakers in the ceiling. I can put the middle rears on a high shelf where the projector is.
For both DTS:X and Atmos, you need at least a conventional 5.1 floor level layer plus 2 additional Atmos speakers. This would give you what is termed a 5.1.2 setup. The floorlayer speakers ideally need to be at your seated head height while the 2 Atmos speakers either need to be located on firing downward, on the front wall high up above the front left and right speakers or as 2 upward fireing speakers located on top of your front left and right speakers.

This document relates to Atmos, but you can use it to determine where to place your speakers in a manner that can be utilised by both Atmos and DTS:X:

brad123

So to get Atmos from my 7.2 amp my choices are either speakers in ceiling above me, 1 each side halfway down room, 2 front speakers upfacing.

dante01

Distinguished Member
So to get Atmos from my 7.2 amp my choices are either speakers in ceiling above me, 1 each side halfway down room, 2 front speakers upfacing.
No, there's no option to locate the 2 Atmos speakers alongside you halfway down the room.

You can have 2 ceiling speakers ideally located above you, 2 height speakers located high up on your front wall above your front left and right speakers or to use 2 upfiring speakers ideally placed on top of your front left and right speakers. Any of these would give you a 5.1.2 speaker layout admissable for use with either Atmos or DTS:X.

Note that there will be visual representations of all these options within your AV receiver's manual.

brad123

Thanks for the feedback. I have a white ceiling so am thinking of installing some white atmos speakers, question is can I do this without having to pull up floorboards in room above. Could I maybe install speaker like example and run white wire in corner of ceiling so you can't see it?

So something that goes in nook of the wall and ceiling instead of installed into the ceiling?

Also presume as my systems is only 7.2 I'd only have option to install 2 new ceiling Atmos speakers?

Whats a good 9.2 amp then under 1k?

Attachments

dante01

Distinguished Member
You can surface mount the ceiling speakers as well as the associated wiring and there's no necessity to have in ceiling speakers. Whether you'd be asthetically better off having the speakers mounted in the ceiling and the wiring concealed under the floor above is another matter.

If you were to mount the speakers where the wallintersects with the ceiling then the speakers would not be correctly located unless you were installing front heights. THe ceiling option requires that the ceiling speakers be parallel with the front left and right speakers as opposed to being located on the very edges of your room. Neither would they be firing downward if mounted where you suggest.

If you've only a 7 channel AV receiver then you cannot have more than just 2 Atmos speakers or anything more than a 5.1.2 setup.

If wanting a 9 channel receiver then look at the Denon AVRX4500 or maybe a Marantz SR6013:

The above 2 options would allow you to have either a 7.1.2 or a 5.1.4 setup. They can even facilitate you with a 7.1.4 setup if you add another 2 channels of external amplification.

Last edited:

pgharavi

Novice Member
If you've only a 7 channel AV receiver then you cannot have more than just 2 Atmos speakers or anything more than a 5.1.2 setup.
The above 2 options would allow you to have either a 7.1.2 or a 5.1.4 setup. They can even facilitate you with a 7.1.4 setup if you add another 2 channels of external amplification.
Hi @dante01

At risk of belaboring your advice, I'm in a similar situation as brad.

Of the two options you presented, the purchase of a new AVR is, of course, clear enough. My current setup is a Yamaha RX-781 in 5.1.2 configuration. Your second option was adding another "2 channels of external amplification." I'm unclear on how to do this or if this is even an option for my AVR.

Am I simply out of luck or is adding external amplification a viable option for me? I've combed my AVR's manual to no, clear, avail.

Appreciate any advice!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi @dante01

At risk of belaboring your advice, I'm in a similar situation as brad.

Of the two options you presented, the purchase of a new AVR is, of course, clear enough. My current setup is a Yamaha RX-781 in 5.1.2 configuration. Your second option was adding another "2 channels of external amplification." I'm unclear on how to do this or if this is even an option for my AVR.

Am I simply out of luck or is adding external amplification a viable option for me? I've combed my AVR's manual to no, clear, avail.

Appreciate any advice!

Your current AV receiver is limited to no more than 7 channels of audio processing and has no option to add more channels of additional external amplification. THe most you can do with that receiver is a 5.1.2 or a 7.1 setup and layout.

You'd need at least a 9 channel receiver to be able to have 9 or more speakers present in your setup. This is excluding Arcam Atmos enabled receivers which are all 7 channel, but do include 11 channel processing.

Top Bottom