DTS: X is finally launched

ARC can convey anything that can be conveyed via S/PDIF optical as well as 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus. What cannot be conveyed via HDMI ARC is the 7.1 HD formats commonly associated with Blu-ray titles so you cannot bitstream 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio or TrueHD via ARC and you cannot convey more than 2 channels of uncompressed PCM data via ARC. 5.1 DTS can be handled by ARC and is handled by it on many TVs.

ARC can convey anything that can be conveyed via S/PDIF optical as well as 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus.
Have to say I've given up on ARC. Any technology where the first instruction is "First slaughter the right number of chickens" is not worth it. I've had Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha amps. I've had Philips, Hisense, Sony and LG TVs. I've had pretty much all combos of them. Yet at best ARC has been flaky. I've given up even trying to set it up, and with my most recent TV and amp purchases went "sod it" and ran an optical cable between the TV and amp for those rare occasions when I need to get sound from the TV to the amp.

Have to say I've given up on ARC. Any technology where the first instruction is "First slaughter the right number of chickens" is not worth it. I've had Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha amps. I've had Philips, Hisense, Sony and LG TVs. I've had pretty much all combos of them. Yet at best ARC has been flaky. I've given up even trying to set it up, and with my most recent TV and amp purchases went "sod it" and ran an optical cable between the TV and amp for those rare occasions when I need to get sound from the TV to the amp.

The causes of most issues that effect ARC and its functionality are those associated with how the manufacturers have implimented HDMI CEC. ARC is reliant upon HDMI CEC and it is an optional aspect of HDMI CEC introduced along with the HDMI version 1.4 specifications. The issue is that many TV manufacturers have attempted to hijack HDMI CEC by repurposing it within things like Anynet+, Viera LInk or Bravia Sync. It is more often than not the repurposing and veering away from the HDMI CEC standards that causes the issues many experience with both HDMI ARC and HDMI control.

What happens when we play a movie in 7.1 DTS-H Master on a 5.1.2 system? Will the Atmos speakers be engaged or do we still have to activate Neural X just like we would for 5.1 DTS-H Master, to engage all speakers?

What happens when we play a movie in 7.1 DTS-H Master on a 5.1.2 system? Will the Atmos speakers be engaged or do we still have to activate Neural X just like we would for 5.1 DTS-H Master, to engage all speakers?
Roku2, a really useful question and one I was about to post on the Anthem thread.
I will possibly move from 7.1 to 5.1.4 next year, as you said what happens with 7.1 soundtracks, are they automatically decoded from 7.1 and encoded to suit the speaker set up selected without loss of soundtrack??

Roku2, a really useful question and one I was about to post on the Anthem thread.
I will possibly move from 7.1 to 5.1.4 next year, as you said what happens with 7.1 soundtracks, are they automatically decoded from 7.1 and encoded to suit the speaker set up selected without loss of soundtrack??
I never know whether to use Neural X when playing something in 7.1 DTS-H Master, since I have a 5.1.2 system

Hey, our new LG Oled C6 owner :)
So do you have a 5.1.2 Atmos system or above?

If not applying any upmixing to the 7.1 audio then the 2 discrete back channels would be mixed down into the rear surround channels. The same is true if applying either Dolby Surround or Neural:X upmixing to the audio. The back channels are still mixed down into the rear channels, but the processing associated with the upmixing also creates pseudo channels for output via you Atmos effects speakers.

If the sound track is encoded as Atmos or DTS:X then no additional upmixing is required in order to have audio via all the speakers present.

If not applying any upmixing to the 7.1 audio then the 2 discrete back channels would be mixed down into the rear surround channels. The same is true if applying either Dolby Surround or Neural:X upmixing to the audio. The back channels are still mixed down into the rear channels, but the processing associated with the upmixing also creates pseudo channels for output via you Atmos effects speakers.

If the sound track is encoded as Atmos or DTS:X then no additional upmixing is required in order to have audio via all the speakers present.
But is it advised or 'recommended' to apply Neutral X to 7.1 DTS-H Master-since I dont have rear surround channels- or just leave it as is?

But is it advised or 'recommended' to apply Neutral X to 7.1 DTS-H Master-since I dont have rear surround channels- or just leave it as is?

It is down to personal preference. If you want to create pseudo DTS:X like effects in conjunction with the 7.1 soundtrack then yes, but if you are happy to listen without the pseudo effects then don't appy Neural:X or Dolby Surround to the discrete 7.1 audio.

It is up to you to decide.

It is down to personal preference. If you want to create pseudo DTS:X like effects in conjunction with the 7.1 soundtrack then yes, but if you are happy to listen without the pseudo effects then don't appy Neural:X or Dolby Surround to the discrete 7.1 audio.

It is up to you to decide.
But if I dont apply Neural X, wouldn't the effects meant for rear surrounds end up in my 'atmos' front heights? All those effects that are supposed to be heard coming from behind now will be coming from the top of my front wall, which wouldnt sound very accurate

But if I dont apply Neural X, wouldn't the effects meant for rear surrounds end up in my 'atmos' front heights? All those effects that are supposed to be heard coming from behind now will be coming from the top of my front wall, which wouldnt sound very accurate
I would surmise that when you enter your speaker config into your AVR then the AVR will "know" which codec to apply when down mixing according to your speaker arrangement (i.e. Front heights v rear heights)

As said, ultimately it's up to you, have a listen and draw your own conclusions/preferences

I would surmise that when you enter your speaker config into your AVR then the AVR will "know" which codec to apply when down mixing according to your speaker arrangement (i.e. Front heights v rear heights)

As said, ultimately it's up to you, have a listen and draw your own conclusions/preferences
What were your conclusions?

But if I dont apply Neural X, wouldn't the effects meant for rear surrounds end up in my 'atmos' front heights?

No.

THe receiver only downmixes base layer back surround channels into the rear surround channels. It does not move those channels to the height, ceiling or channels associated with upfiring speakers.

Great. So that means that because I have my system configured as 5.1.2 with Front Heights, the receiver will not allow sound effects supposed to be coming from behind (through rear surround speakers) to go into my front height speakers

Great. So that means that because I have my system configured as 5.1.2 with Front Heights, the receiver will not allow sound effects supposed to be coming from behind (through rear surround speakers) to go into my front height speakers

Correct.

Even if applying upmixing to the 7.1 audio the processing uses algorythms to create audio for the effects speakers that would correspond with their location as opposed to simply redistributing audio that would have been otherwise output via a different speaker in another location.

I always use the pseudo mixes, it greatly expands and enhances the front sound stage. Live concert discs are brilliant, especially with Neural:X whether from bare bones DTS or DTS HD. I'm running 5.1.2.

Hey, our new LG Oled C6 owner :)
So do you have a 5.1.2 Atmos system or above?
Mine is set up as a 5.1.4 and 6.1.2 system via the Yamaha's dual speaker layouts.

Mine is set up as a 5.1.4 and 6.1.2 system via the Yamaha's dual speaker layouts.
Is your Yamaha HDCP2.2 compliant or do you have to use dual HDMI connection to connect to your Oled TV?

I always use the pseudo mixes, it greatly expands and enhances the front sound stage. Live concert discs are brilliant, especially with Neural:X whether from bare bones DTS or DTS HD. I'm running 5.1.2.
Even with movies with 7.1 DTS-H Master, good tip

Is your Yamaha HDCP2.2 compliant or do you have to use dual HDMI connection to connect to your Oled TV?
Of course it is. The 2050 is an awesome receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom