DTS: X is finally launched

Set sky to neural :X very happy with that , thanks Dante , again it may be subjective , but I like the wider sound field it seems to create
I think I'm with you on this. I thought multichannel stereo was better suited for PCM streaming content, but after a while it starts sounding too chaotic and 'noisy'

I have a Denon X6200 with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X processing and have a 7.1.2 speaker configuration with 2 subwoofers.

I've settled on using the DTS upmixer with DTS material and the Dolby upmixer with Dolby content.
I've gone back and forth comparing them, and I don't feel one is substantially better than the other.

There are more Blu-rays with DTS (5.1/7.1) encoding than there are Dolby encodes, so I get to hear the DTS upmixer more often. I think both upmixers do a good job, although I'd really like to see more 'standard' Blu-ray discs with native immersive soundtracks. The support for DTS-X on UK discs is absolutely terrible - it's not much better in the US, but there are more. So far, I prefer the Atmos to DTS-X, but that's probably more down to the movie choice available, rather than the format itself.

I've not yet made the jump to UHD Blu-ray. Still weighing up the pros and cons. I prefer to watch movies on a projector, and I've been underwhelmed by what current generation projectors can do with HDR content. The LG '55 B7 is an option later this year, but my TV is in a room without ceiling speakers, so I won't benefit from the immersive tracks available on UHD Blu-ray discs.

James.

Also keep in mind that they're still mastering a disturbing number of new movies at 2K. (The Fate of the Furious, for example.) Which they charge $10 extra for, and proceed to market as 4K Blu-Ray.

The A/V industry is so full of deceit and corruption that it makes me sick.

In other news, the first Native 4K Laser projector for the home was recently released... a $25,000 Sony unit. Out of my league.

Also keep in mind that they're still mastering a disturbing number of new movies at 2K. (The Fate of the Furious, for example.) Which they charge $10 extra for, and proceed to market as 4K Blu-Ray.

The A/V industry is so full of deceit and corruption that it makes me sick.

In other news, the first Native 4K Laser projector for the home was recently released... a $25,000 Sony unit. Out of my league.
The best bang for your dollar (or pound LOL) is to get a 55" LG Oled TV 4K and connect that to your Atmos system. You can have a UHD/Atmos home theater on a tight budget, it is doable!

The best bang for your dollar (or pound LOL) is to get a 55" LG Oled TV 4K and connect that to your Atmos system. You can have a UHD/Atmos home theater on a tight budget, it is doable!

Oh for sure. I'm waiting on the LG E-series 65" OLEDs to come down in price. It's probably going to be a 2 year wait if not more. I currently have a 2014 Samsung 60" 1080p plasma (one of the last series of Plasmas made!), and I sit 12 feet from my TV due to my Living Room's shape. I can't imagine downsizing at all.

But yes, I agree it doesn't have to cost a fortune, though that $25,000 Sony projector would make me one happy techie.

Speaking of what I said earlier about deceit in this industry - I just found the photos - these two were side by side at a Costco store - I have ZERO doubt that the Samsung marketing and store placement is completely intentional:

IMG_5197.JPG

IMG_5198.JPG

I know people who aren't super knowledgeable about consumer electronics, but still want to enjoy them. (I can hear my former boss, around 68 years old, saying "I heard about this new OLED or something LED technology, and I want the best of the best.")

Oh for sure. I'm waiting on the LG E-series 65" OLEDs to come down in price. It's probably going to be a 2 year wait if not more. I currently have a 2014 Samsung 60" 1080p plasma (one of the last series of Plasmas made!), and I sit 12 feet from my TV due to my Living Room's shape. I can't imagine downsizing at all.

But yes, I agree it doesn't have to cost a fortune, though that $25,000 Sony projector would make me one happy techie.

Speaking of what I said earlier about deceit in this industry - I just found the photos - these two were side by side at a Costco store - I have ZERO doubt that the Samsung marketing and store placement is completely intentional:

View attachment 857772

View attachment 857773

I know people who aren't super knowledgeable about consumer electronics, but still want to enjoy them. (I can hear my former boss, around 68 years old, saying "I heard about this new OLED or something LED technology, and I want the best of the best.")
hehehe....nice strategic placement there ;)

hehehe....nice strategic placement there ;)

I guarantee there are thousands of households fooled into buying Quantum Dot LED when they really wanted OLED because of strategic placement like that.

I'm sure they'll still enjoy the TV. I just hate that lying has become so commonplace as tech has become even more sophisticated, and I find myself even falling for the occasional marketing sham.

I guarantee there are thousands of households fooled into buying Quantum Dot LED when they really wanted OLED because of strategic placement like that.

I'm sure they'll still enjoy the TV. I just hate that lying has become so commonplace as tech has become even more sophisticated, and I find myself even falling for the occasional marketing sham.
Not to stirr off topic but I have no idea what QLED is and if it is equal or superior to OLED technology. I just know that OLED picture with Atmos sound or even with DTS-H + Neural X can offer great quality without going broke.
By the way, why are you forced to have 12 feet of viewing distance?

Current QLED is half-assed Quantum Dot display tech:

"A quantum dot display refers to the use of quantum dots (QD), or semiconductor nanocrystals in manufacturing displays. The term carries multiple meanings, including the use of quantum dots to emit light, or merely using them to convert light in LED-backlit LCDs. At present, all commercial products such as TVs advertising quantum dot application branded as QLED are using them only to convert light for LCD backlights, rather than as actual displays."

It's the layout of my living room, as for the 12 feet. I have a tiny 1,050 square foot house, and if I moved the couch closer to the television, it would be directly in the path from the front door to the rest of the house.

The reason unsuspecting consumers would buy QLED is that it is significantly less expensive. OLED is the way to go, so you're on the right path.

The reason unsuspecting consumers would buy QLED is that it is significantly less expensive. OLED is the way to go, so you're on the right path.
So that consumers will think "WOW, I can get the same quality of OLED panels at lower price"...INGENIOUS :)

So that consumers will think "WOW, I can get the same quality of OLED panels at lower price"...INGENIOUS :)

Precisely. Watch out and stay educated as we move forward. With time and sophistication of products will come more and more consumer deceit.

It's the layout of my living room, as for the 12 feet. I have a tiny 1,050 square foot house, and if I moved the couch closer to the television, it would be directly in the path from the front door to the rest of the house.
I have my oled on a moving stand so that I bypass that issue. I move the panel around the room at will :)

Attachments

• OledStand.jpg
    OledStand.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 70
  • OledStand2.jpg
    OledStand2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 70
  • stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 71
You could keep Oled TV on moving stand against the shelf when not in use and roll it forward closer to couch when in use...or just save up for LG Oled 65 :)

Yeah true! I want to be able to use my TV as my computer monitor and 60" at 12' doesn't work!

What does the cat think of it all..................??

Actually we have two cats - that one you see in the pic couldn't care less about the TV. Our other cat is always trying to get right in front of the TV. One time he spent an hour watching me adjust settings on my Nvidia Shield TV. Here's a short demonstration. LOL.

Yeah true! I want to be able to use my TV as my computer monitor and 60" at 12' doesn't work!

Actually we have two cats - that one you see in the pic couldn't care less about the TV. Our other cat is always trying to get right in front of the TV. One time he spent an hour watching me adjust settings on my Nvidia Shield TV. Here's a short demonstration. LOL.

Cool cat......

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom