DTS: X is finally launched

LOL I love your dog. Does he/she sing along to the TV often?

PS: Sorry for hijacking this thread. W00t DTS:X.

LOL I love your dog. Does he/she sing along to the TV often?

PS: Sorry for hijacking this thread. W00t DTS:X.
No. Like the kit poor old Trefor is long gone.:(

No. Like the kit poor old Trefor is long gone.:(

Aw I'm sorry bud. I'm pretty close to age 32, and the cat lying down in the first pic showed up at the front door when she was 3 and I was 21. So she's around 14. Not exactly young.

Losing pets really sucks. But at least you can remember them with videos and photos!

From what I understand, "DTS-X is designed to let you feel closer to the action than before with the help of height channels, which just like the name indicates, are speakers shooting sound upwards."
If the above I quoted is correct, can a 5.1.2 Atmos setup work with a DTS-X soundtrack or do we need a complete diferent set of speakers and different speaker configuration as well?

From what I understand, "DTS-X is designed to let you feel closer to the action than before with the help of height channels, which just like the name indicates, are speakers shooting sound upwards."
If the above I quoted is correct, can a 5.1.2 Atmos setup work with a DTS-X soundtrack or do we need a complete diferent set of speakers and different speaker configuration as well?
No.

In other words, a 5.1.2 system that we initially setup for Atmos will enable you to hear dolby atmos as intended as well as dts-x as intended, with no changes applied to our setup or equipment?

In other words, a 5.1.2 systen will enable you to hear dolby atoms as intended as well as dts-x as intended with no changes applied to our setup or equipment?

As long as your receiver is equipped with Atmos and DTS:X decoders. In an interview on an AV podcast, Dolby Labs' director of ? (Development or R&D or tech) ...something like that...He said those who only have a TrueHD decoder will enjoy some trickle down benefits on Atmos encoded movies.

Might be the same with DTS:X - a little improvement over your standard DTS-HD MA soundtrack.

In other words, a 5.1.2 system that we initially setup for Atmos will enable you to hear dolby atmos as intended as well as dts-x as intended, with no changes applied to our setup or equipment?
Apart from the codec used all remains the same as regards speaker placement

Yeah that's the other thing ... DTS:X is supposed to be more flexible with speaker location, so you'd want to focus placement around Atmos and then X will be fine.

Just read - Onkyo announced some new Mid-Range AVR models at the end of March. One is a 5.2.2 with all the bells and whistles (And codecs) for $549.

One of the tracks on the demo disc for DTS:X shows height speakers at the top of the walls, not on the ceiling. It has an object floating around in space. When I listen to that with my Atmos setup the object appears to be higher than where the graphic shows it to be.

In addition, when I listen to tracks with Neural:X the voices move towards the top of the screen which they don't with the Dolby Upmixer. It's not just me because others have commented on this also. If Neural:X is expecting speakers to be on the top of the wall and not the ceiling then this would be logical if played back with speakers on the ceiling. At least, that's my experience anyway.

With 9.x.x and 11.x.x channel amps being orders of magnitude more expensive than 7.x.x, these seem like a great single piece of hardware for SL and SR. It could be mounted high and bounce off your rear wall, emulating SBL and SBR.

IMG_5262.JPG

And Klipsch's 8" Ceiling Mount Atmos Speakers would allow a 7.x amp to effectively do 5.x.2.

IMG_5263.JPG

I am looking hard at the new Onkyo released announced in March.

One of the tracks on the demo disc for DTS:X shows height speakers at the top of the walls, not on the ceiling. It has an object floating around in space. When I listen to that with my Atmos setup the object appears to be higher than where the graphic shows it to be.

In addition, when I listen to tracks with Neural:X the voices move towards the top of the screen which they don't with the Dolby Upmixer. It's not just me because others have commented on this also. If Neural:X is expecting speakers to be on the top of the wall and not the ceiling then this would be logical if played back with speakers on the ceiling. At least, that's my experience anyway.
Does that mean that Dolby Surround is preferable to Neural X?

It is obviously hoping for a Christmas tree

No, why would it? Some people will prefer one thing while other people prefer something else.

Neither Neural:X or Dolby Surround upmixing need height, upfiring or ceiling speakers. They can effectively upmix content with fewer channels than speakers present so that all the speakers present are utilised even in the absence of the speakers you'd ordinarily associate with Atmos or DTS:X.

Last edited:

I was initially impressed by Neural:X due to its greater use (over-use?) of the height channels but the more I made use of it the less I liked it, it also lacks extreme LFE compared to Dolby Upmixer.

I don't find the same issues with DTS:X on content that is formatted specifically for DTS:X.

My preference is to use Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for their respective formats and use Dolby Upmixer for any upmixing such as DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD.

I was initially impressed by Neural:X due to its greater use (over-use?) of the height channels but the more I made use of it the less I liked it, it also lacks extreme LFE compared to Dolby Upmixer.

I don't find the same issues with DTS:X on content that is formatted specifically for DTS:X.

My preference is to use Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for their respective formats and use Dolby Upmixer for any upmixing such as DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD.
Did you mean to say that you use Neural X for DTS MA and DSU for Dolby TrueHD, or that you use only DSU for both?

It is obviously hoping for a Christmas tree

No, why would it? Some people will prefer one thing while other people prefer something else.

Neither Neural:X or Dolby Surround upmixing need height, upfiring or ceiling speakers. They can effectively upmix content with fewer channels than speakers present so that all the speakers present are utilised even in the absence of the speakers you'd ordinarily associate with Atmos or DTS:X.
I remember a while ago you said that you werent particularly fond of Neural X upmixer because it negatively affected dialogue level. Are you still of that opinion?

I remember a while ago you said that you werent particularly fond of Neural X upmixer because it negatively affected dialogue level. Are you still of that opinion?

I currently use neither Neural:X or Dolby Surround for upmixing and much prefer the upmixing effect I get from my Yamaha receiver's DSP Programs and their use of my height speakers.

Did you mean to say that you use Neural X for DTS MA and DSU for Dolby TrueHD, or that you use only DSU for both?

No, I use DSU for both Dolby TrueHD and DTS:MA; DTS:X for DTS:X and Dolby Atmos for Dolby Atmos.

I currently use neither Neural:X or Dolby Surround for upmixing and much prefer the upmixing effect I get from my Yamaha receiver's DSP Programs and their use of my height speakers.
Fair enough, but that was not what I asked. It's ok though.

I use DSU for both Dolby TrueHD and DTS:MA; DTS:X for DTS:X and Dolby Atmos for Dolby Atmos.
Wouldnt it make more sense to use Neural X upmixer for DTS-H Master since they are both DTS brand?

Wouldnt it make more sense to use Neural X upmixer for DTS-H Master since they are both DTS brand?

That may seem more logical but for the reasons already stated I prefer DSU.

That may seem more logical but for the reasons already stated I prefer DSU.
What did you mean by 'lack of extreme LFE'? Does that mean that Neural X weakens subwoofer levels in your opinion?

I'm with Ringnut on this for exactly the same reasons; the 'over use' of the heights when upmixing using Neural:X, I don't like what it does to music as it seems to make the LCR sound odd at the expense of using the height channels so much.

I'm even more 'hair shirt' though as for any music discs I turn off ANY upmixing and just listen to the native source (ie DTS-MA, PCM or Dolby Digital/True HD). To be honest, with a really decent front soundstage, just having a bit of ambience (using Tripole surrounds) is fine with me. I'd rather hear the music in it's best, unadultered quality rather than messed about with by upmixers, etc. For film/TV content though I'm OK with upmixing...I just prefer the DSU version.

EDIT: Yes Neural:X seems to weaken the bass too IMHO.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom