DTS: X is finally launched

Do you guys have 120 or 150Hz assigned to your overhead speakers?
Fronts 80, surrounds 100 and the Atmos 150. Works for me. Try a couple of hours with each.

Fronts 80, surrounds 100 and the Atmos 150. Works for me. Try a couple of hours with each.
I have all of them at 80 and atmos at 150, but I think assigning 100 to surrounds makes more sense

are the atmos and dts:x demo discs wirth getting? Ive seen the atmos ones but only around £30 but ive just seen a 2016 dts:x demo disc on ebay for £6.79, suppose it cant hurt to see what its like at that price.

are the atmos and dts:x demo discs wirth getting? Ive seen the atmos ones but only around £30 but ive just seen a 2016 dts:x demo disc on ebay for £6.79, suppose it cant hurt to see what its like at that price.

I think the second Atmos disk is worth getting, but not at £30. The DTS disc 2016 is not very good IMO, I'd recommend just getting good BRs.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but how on earth does DTS Neural X work??? Currently sat with the kids watching a terribly low res stereo rip of The Little Mermaid. Terrible source but Neural X is doing an amazing job on my Marantz 7010 of making it feel like it's a proper digital surround track.

Witchcraft!

Can we apply Neural X to Dolby Atmos track? What would happen if we do?

Can we apply Neural X to Dolby Atmos track? What would happen if we do?

If you do then the audio reverts to Dolby TrueHD 7.1 so you get TrueHD with Neural:X applied to it as opposed to Atmos.

If you do then the audio reverts to Dolby TrueHD 7.1 so you get TrueHD with Neural:X applied to it as opposed to Atmos.
Would you recommend that option over Dolby Atmos? TrueHD with Neural X might have some positive effects, perhaps

Would you recommend that option over Dolby Atmos? TrueHD with Neural X might have some positive effects, perhaps

Why would you want or favour pseudo 3D imersive audio over a soundtrack mixed as such with a discrete 3D format. No, I'd not suggest it better to use pseudo surround as opposed to discrete surround.

Never a recommendation.

Well after lots of demos i can honestly say its hard to tell the difference between dolby surround and dts neural x. Whether certain films sound a bit more engaging than others only time will tell but at least all my films are getting upmixed one way or another [emoji6]

Any of you still using Dolby Surround since the coming of Neural X? I find myself using Neural X pretty much on anything: DD+, DTS- H, PCM, you name it

I use Neural X frankly everytime on any codec with my Yamaha CX-A5100. It does a really fantastic job i did not expect though.
I totally agree. Its use in PCM encoded audio is nothing short of amazing. I applied it to UFC TV network and for the first time the sound coming from the audience was really immersive, giving the impression of watching the fights live

I totally agree. Its use in PCM encoded audio is nothing short of amazing. I applied it to UFC TV network and for the first time the sound coming from the audience was really immersive, giving the impression of watching the fights live

What's your observation when applying Neural X to Dolby encoded audio? Better than Dolby Surround?

Does Dts x improve over master hd even with only 5.1 speaker setup?

Does it give better results with asymmetrical speaker layout?

Does Dts x improve over master hd even with only 5.1 speaker setup?

Does it give better results with asymmetrical speaker layout?

No.

You cannot access DTS:X or Atmos speakers if only running a 5.1 setup. You'd have to have at least a 5.1.2 setup and configuration in order to access the DTS:X or Atmos metadata. If you've only a 5.1 setup then your receiver acts as though the audio is 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and this will be no different to any other instance of that format.

Asymmetrical in what way? The speaker layouts are basically no different to what they were, but with the addition of the additional height or ceiling effects speakers. You'd still be sat with these speaker around you in pairs and within a uniform and symetrical pattern.

Asymmetrical in that, as is often the case in a living room, speaker pairs aren't always equidistant from the listening position. Speaker angles may not be Dolby spec.
What I'd hoped was if a processor was configured with an accurate speaker layout the object orientated sound formats would better compensate for these imperfect speaker layouts, minimising their negative effect on sound steering and orientation, even in 5.1 layout.
Perhaps I've no need for Atmos or DTS:X! :)

What's your observation when applying Neural X to Dolby encoded audio? Better than Dolby Surround?
Yes, in every way. It doesnt just boost side surround effects, it just adds more depth to the overall soundtrack, more fullness, including dilaogues

My pioneer just got the update, but it says it requires the set up to be run again, but I cannot find either of my mics.
Anyone think it will make a diffrence?

My pioneer just got the update, but it says it requires the set up to be run again, but I cannot find either of my mics.
Anyone think it will make a diffrence?
Do you mean, running calibration again? I did

Do you mean, running calibration again? I did
Correct, it knows I am 5.2.1 and in neural X its using the upfire speakers I use and with Crimson Peak it did also.
I get the feeling I can get more if I do, but cannot find the mics anywhere :(

Correct, it knows I am 5.2.1 and in neural X its using the upfire speakers I use and with Crimson Peak it did also.
I get the feeling I can get more if I do, but cannot find the mics anywhere :(
Mics are cheap, buy new ones

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom