DTS: X is finally launched

I used to like upmixers, especially neural x, back when I ran XTZs. But now I have genelecs, I prefer pretty much everything in its original mix. Not 100% of the time, but maybe 70%. Whether it's stereo broadcast or 5.1 streaming or 7.1 discs, content usually sounds cleaner, clearer, more precise.

My hypothesis is that the genelecs are so transparent they both dig out most of the detail in the native format, as well as showing the deficiencies of processing.

But that could be wrong. Could just be that my upfiring speaker configuration isn't good enough. And I might change my mind again in a few months.

Native sounds nice ATM though.

Can anyone comment on the quality of Crimson Peak soundtrack in dts:x?

Trying to understand Dts x, bought Patriots Day (blu-ray), my system is not setup as Dolby atmos . When I put the the disc in and changed from
Dolby Surround to Nueral x when I pressed the display button it showed on screen as Dts x - MA , I thought the system had to be setup as a Atmos system or Dts x for this to show as Dts x. Or am I missing something?.

Trying to understand Dts x, bought Patriots Day (blu-ray), my system is not setup as Dolby atmos . When I put the the disc in and changed from
Dolby Surround to Nueral x when I pressed the display button it showed on screen as Dts x - MA , I thought the system had to be setup as a Atmos system or Dts x for this to show as Dts x. Or am I missing something?.

DTS:X differs to Atmos in that it will still be processed as DTS:X even if a setup hasn't the additional speakers usually associated with an Atmos setup. You'll be lucky if you can actually hear anything that warrants you portraying the DTS:X soundtrack without height or ceiling speakers though.

Thanks Dante, makes sense now.

Great soundtrack
Last night I finally got to watch my very first UHD movie in DTS X.
From the feedback I got in the past from other AV users, Dolby Atmos seemed to offer a more immersive effect and put you in a 'bubble' of sound...well, I couldn't agree less.
As soon as the dts x soundtrack kicked in my 5.1.2 system sounded like it never did before with any Atmos soundtracks, the entire room seemed to get filled with sounds from every direction. Even my wife who's no expert asked me if I tweaked receiver's settings because she too noticed the difference. What struck me the most is that the sound was BIG yet not 'chaotic' or noisy.
Now I own 1 title in dts x and if this is what dts x sounds on most uhd titles I am sold on it! Two thumbs way up!

Last night I finally got to watch my very first UHD movie in DTS X.
From the feedback I got in the past from other AV users, Dolby Atmos seemed to offer a more immersive effect and put you in a 'bubble' of sound...well, I couldn't agree less.
As soon as the dts x soundtrack kicked in my 5.1.2 system sounded like it never did before with any Atmos soundtracks, the entire room seemed to get filled with sounds from every direction. Even my wife who's no expert asked me if I tweaked receiver's settings because she too noticed the difference. What struck me the most is that the sound was BIG yet not 'chaotic' or noisy.
Now I own 1 title in dts x and if this is what dts x sounds on most uhd titles I am sold on it! Two thumbs way up!
What film roku?

So I have my 5.1.2 setup for Atmos on my Sony 1080 receiver. Tried Fate of the furious earlier in DTS X and was getting no sound from the overheads at all. Any ideas?

So I have my 5.1.2 setup for Atmos on my Sony 1080 receiver. Tried Fate of the furious earlier in DTS X and was getting no sound from the overheads at all. Any ideas?
You have to make sure that the player is configured to output bitstream and have you correctly set up the receiver.

Hmm, you're not the only one with that issue. Does it say DTS:X or DTS:X MA? I'm guessing if it says MA it's only playing the core DTS-HD MA track. Maybe see if you can change surround/upmixing modes to try and force it to play DTS:X

It shows as DTS X MA. Hmm will have a bit more of a play around. I currently have the soundstage set to Dolby surround I believe. Would changing to Neural X make a difference?

You have to make sure that the player is configured to output bitstream and have you correctly set up the receiver.

It is set to bitstream. I was under the impression that changing from an Atmos track to a DTS X one would not need any alterations with settings on either the player or receiver. Is that not the case?

Last edited:
Yes change it to Neural X

On my Arcam I need to set Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Surround for it to recognise Atmos, and DTS + Neural X for it to recognise DTS:X
If you need to do that you are simply not getting true Atmos and DTS:X, both of those modes only mimic the format. DSU and N-X are to upconvert non Atmos and non X signals only. You must see ATMOS or DTS:X on your AVR that is the only way you are getting them.

Oh I know, what I mean is, is I set it to that mode, *then* the amp switches to Atmos/DTS:X
That's weird, are you certain than you are getting it correctly?

DTS:X metadata negates Neural:X upmixing and Atmos negates Dolby Surround upmixing. What causes issues is that DTS:X doesn't negate Dolby Surround and Atmos will not negate Neural:X. If you apply Neural:X to Atmos then you'd get the TRueHD base audio plus Neural:X upmixing and if you apply Dolby Surround to DTS:X then you get the DTS-HD Master Audio base audio with Dolby Surround upmixing. You cannot however apply Neural:X to DTS:X or Dolby Surround to Atmos.

It is best practise to select a mode on the receiver that doesn't apply any upmixing when wanting to play an Atmos or DTS:X soundtrack.

Bother Dolby Surround and or Neural:X would utilise the additional speakers anyway so if they aren't active then it isn't because you are using these upmixing modes.

Interesting.

I'm so confused. I miss VHS :laugh:

So for both Atmos and DTS X it would be better to receive the audio from the disk in its purest form, turning off Dolby Surround and all other sound stages on the Sony receiver? So what does the Master Audio (MA) mean after the DTS X when it shows on the receiver. The fact it scrolls across my display must mean I am receiving DTS X so it makes no sense the height speakers have nothing.

I'm so confused. I miss VHS :laugh:

So for both Atmos and DTS X it would be better to receive the audio from the disk in its purest form, turning off Dolby Surround and all other sound stages on the Sony receiver? So what does the Master Audio (MA) mean after the DTS X when it shows on the receiver. The fact it scrolls across my display must mean I am receiving DTS X so it makes no sense the height speakers have nothing.
There is no such thing in digital as purest form, it's either bitstream or not, if it is you WILL get the format as it should be. If you are receiving them correctly DSU and any upmixing will be unavailable.

I miss the simplicity of the good old days too :)

Yes change it to Neural X

On my Arcam I need to set Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Surround for it to recognise Atmos, and DTS + Neural X for it to recognise DTS:X
Actually if you leave the Arcam on Dolby Surround it will play Atmos when feed (because DSU is set) but DTS:X will auto select without any intervention.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom